PDA

View Full Version : Titan gun safe with attached ammo box

sirdutch
01-02-2012, 5:10 PM
As far as the Titan gun safe with attached ammo box is concerned:

I was wondering if there is any updated information or legal precedent concerning the DOJ's opinion on the matter. The vault itself is approved by the DOJ in California.

As some of you may know, you can purchase the ammo container that attaches to the vault that is a separate container that is locked by the same mechanism that locks the unloaded firearm inside its separate compartment. Also,it has a plate that can be attached to the vehicle onto which you can attach the vault making the vault secured permanently until you release it for transport by opening the safe and removing a locking bar inside the safe. Works like a charm!

It has been debated in the past as to the legality of this arrangement when placed inside the vehicle within reach of the driver or passengers. (excluding, of course, from other rules like when driving in the proximity of a K-12 school, courthouse etc. etc.)

If you don't know about this product it can be searched under "Titan Gun Vault". I have one and like it but I am still too nervous about installing it in my passenger compartment. I see little problem with an in-trunk installation.

In the past, the question has arisen as to how the vault would be viewed legally in a search of the vehicle by police officers when attached to the car or other vehicle vehicle as opposed to if it is just a locked container loose in the vehicle.

Anyone have any updated information on this?

Librarian
01-02-2012, 5:27 PM
Nope, no clarifying court cases, so no new info.
inside the vehicle within reach of the driver or passengers. has never been an issue - PC doesn't mention that. The expressed concern has been whether a relatively permanent attachment to the vehicle converts that 'locked container' to 'the utility compartment' as defined in PC 16850 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/16850.html) As used in Sections 17740, 23925, 25105, 25205, and 25610,
and in Article 3 (commencing with Section 25505) of Chapter 2 of
Division 5 of Title 4, "locked container" means a secure container
that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, keylock, combination
lock, or similar locking device. The term "locked container" does not
include the utility or glove compartment of a motor vehicle.

My opinion is still 'no, it does not do that'.

sirdutch
01-03-2012, 5:09 AM
Thanks for the responses! I have two more questions.

1) Does anyone think the concept of one locking mechanism that locks both the loaded ammo magazine and the unloaded pistol is problematic?

2_ Is it advisable to ask the DOJ directly or would I just be attracting unnecessary attention?

Thanks again,

Meindert

Librarian
01-03-2012, 1:13 PM
Thanks for the responses! I have two more questions.

1) Does anyone think the concept of one locking mechanism that locks both the loaded ammo magazine and the unloaded pistol is problematic?

2_ Is it advisable to ask the DOJ directly or would I just be attracting unnecessary attention?

Thanks again,

Meindert

Since there is no requirement that the ammo be locked up, that should be no problem.

Generally, DOJ is reluctant to offer opinions about much, and at least over the phone, they have a pretty high error rate. I doubt 'attention' would be an issue; getting a usable answer probably would be.