PDA

View Full Version : Flash Suppressor or Compensator.

USMCM16A2
03-12-2007, 7:47 PM
Gents,

I was at Ammo Bros a while back, and they had their Stag Uppers with A2 style flash suppressors on them. I know all the legalities of what can be configured with what and so on.
But my question is, what are the physical characteristics of a flash suppressor versus a compensator?. One of the owners of Ammo Bros, showed me the A2 flash suppressor, slant cuts, with an open end from which the bullet exits the barrel. And the item he called a compensator has 5 slant cuts, and the end from which the bullet exits is closed by a baffle, and a small opening from which the bullet exits.
I would like to do a build with the MM grip, using a Stag Upper with this "compensator". Thanks for all replies, USMCM16A2:) :) :o

G17GUY
03-12-2007, 7:53 PM
Get good ear protection.

slick_711
03-12-2007, 8:04 PM
Nobody can answer that for you definitively. The line between the two is so hazy and poorly defined. As you stated, a compensator or muzzlebrake is fine, but a flashhider or flash suppresor is an evil feature. Just pick a compensator you like that is labeled as a muzzlebrake or compensator from the factory and you'll be fine.

I ordered a "muzzlebrake" from RRA a few weeks ago, but my flashhider was too tight so I gave up on installing it; anyway, I decided to try one more time and installed it today, I'm very happy with it. There is a bit more noticeable muzzle flash, but it seems the rifle is actually quieter (from the user end), and the recoil definitely changed a bit for the better. Just to be safe I photocopied the RRA catalog where it describes my break as a CA compliant muzzlebrake, you may want to do the same, but it shouldn't be necessary.

RRA WEBSITE - MUZZLE DEVICES (http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR0001A1&storeid=1&image=brks07.gif&CFID=36873623&CFTOKEN=35481796)

I got the "Tactical Muzzle Brake." YHM and a number of other companies also make good CA-compliant brakes, look around a bit.

bwiese
03-12-2007, 8:12 PM
For safety's sake, get something called that is actually called a muzzle brake, marked on the package, and save the package.

Muzzle brakes usu have holes, while flash hiders have slits. (Generalization and not always true.)

kap
03-12-2007, 10:02 PM
It is hard to tell the difference between a muzzle brake and a flash hider since the California definition of a flash hider is "a muzzle device that visibly reduces or redirects muzzle flash from the shooter's view". If a brake does that it is technically a flash hider. Silly, huh. Welcome to California. In most cases if the end is baffled with a small bullet size hole it is likely a brake, but this may not always be true so do as Bill said and get one that has it clearly marked on the package.