PDA

View Full Version : Turners PPT Transfer System.

bill_k_lopez
01-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Ok guys - I've been pretty happy with the changes that have occurred in the last year with Turner's. But I'd like to bring up a topic that really was a pain for me to deal with yesterday 12/31.

Before making my complaint, I want to say that this is not a complaint against the staff or management at my local store in Signal Hill. This complaint is in regard to your current system and its function.

What happened:

The seller and I arrived at the store at 12:45, were promptly taken to the gun counter, had the rifle checked in and started filling out our paperwork. Everything was submitted by 1:11 (since I know what my pickup time is). DROS was fine - but Turner's system was a complete fail. I waited 2 hours for the Turner's system to print out its paperwork - which in the end wasn't even the right paperwork, as the process never completed correctly (the guys at the store had to work "around" the system by bringing the gun in to inventory, then make it look like I purchased the gun from the store - the sellers info had to be hand written onto the documents).

2 hours to wait for store paperwork for a PPT is just unacceptable. Even after I waited the 2 hours to GET the paperwork - I ended up leaving the store without paying because Don (the manager) figured it could be another hour before he could bring the sale up for me to pay for it.

Throughout the whole wait - all of the store guys were great - in fact I would say they were actually embarrassed at how long it took.

There needs to be a manual process to back up your computer process, especially since this was only the process to generate store paperwork. My seller was waiting that whole time for one piece of paper - the receipt that said he transferred the gun to me.

gr8dragon88
01-01-2012, 11:09 AM
that's longer than it took for me to buy my last car from a dealer...;-)

Turners is my last choice to do a PPT. They have the most amount of paperwork/process that I've seen. I usually go to OC Armory, RifleGear, etc.. or small private FFLs that I know. For rifles, you can also get it done at most Big5.

BTW - Big5 only charges $25.00 for the DROS when purchase firearms from them, not the $35.00 that are charged by other places like Turners. I picked up 2 rifles from Big5 last Friday 12/30, got 15% off on one and 10% off on another and both were already discounted before the coupon.

drdanno84
01-01-2012, 11:18 AM
At the smaller independent FFL's like Alamo jewelry and loan, Oaktree gun club etc., the process averages about 20 minutes. I was at Gretas in simi valley last week, was in and out in 25 minutes! Doing PPT's at turners is not a priorty for them, one evening I drove 30 miles to the turners in san bernardino to meet a buyer who was driving up from san diego, when we got there, 40 minutes before closing, the manager refused to do the transaction because he claimed to be "under staffed" He then informed me that "all we make is $10.00 on the transaction". I try to avoid them if all possible.

ke6guj
01-01-2012, 11:22 AM
I was talking to Bill Ortiz a couple weeks ago and he did mention that they would be revamping the POS system which should fix the PPT issues.

He did mention that there would be some paper forms that the buyer and seller could fill out to help speed up the process while waiting on the computer stuff.

bill_k_lopez
01-01-2012, 2:02 PM
As mentioned - the guys there were great and treated us very well. There were customers waiting and they took our PPT over the people waiting at the counter. My only complaint is there is something wrong with their system - and as it seems - is being updated/graded soon. That's great.

---

Turner's has come a long way from a year ago. I see no reason to "avoid" them, they're close to my house and as it happens I have a gun that's in jail there right now - so this makes it convenient for me to go to one store and pickup my two guns at the same time. If anything, the progress they've made with their customer service indicates to me that the (little extra) money spent there means something to them. They value me as a customer.

Distro
01-02-2012, 4:03 PM
that's longer than it took for me to buy my last car from a dealer...;-)

Turners is my last choice to do a PPT. They have the most amount of paperwork/process that I've seen. I usually go to OC Armory, RifleGear, etc.. or small private FFLs that I know. For rifles, you can also get it done at most Big5.

BTW - Big5 only charges $25.00 for the DROS when purchase firearms from them, not the $35.00 that are charged by other places like Turners. I picked up 2 rifles from Big5 last Friday 12/30, got 15% off on one and 10% off on another and both were already discounted before the coupon.

So does every other store. $35 is for a Private Party Transfer ($25 DROS + $10 store fee, which is the most they can legally charge for a PPT).

Also at least the majority of gun stores can calculate 10 24hr periods instead of the 11 day wait with Big 5.

ke6guj
01-02-2012, 4:14 PM
So does every other store. $35 is for a Private Party Transfer ($25 DROS + $10 store fee, which is the most they can legally charge for a PPT).No, some stores do charge a dealer fee on in-store purchases (yes, it is legal for them to do so as long as it is properly documented that it is a dealer fee and not a state fee). SO, it is basically a $30 charge ($25 DROS + $5 dealer).

Distro
01-02-2012, 4:45 PM
No, some stores do charge a dealer fee on in-store purchases (yes, it is legal for them to do so as long as it is properly documented that it is a dealer fee and not a state fee). SO, it is basically a $30 charge ($25 DROS + $5 dealer).

Yes but he shouldn't write it as "for the DROS" that is why some people get confused and overcharged for PPT's at other stores because they think stores can charge different prices for the DROS. It should just be addressed "Gun fee + Store Fee".

gr8dragon88
01-02-2012, 10:39 PM
My bad, I should have made it clearer on the DROS fees. Just looked at my receipts and Turner's charges for a PPT are listed as follow:

DOJ DROS Fee - $19.00
DOJ Safety Fee - $1.00
DOJ Eq Fee - $5.00
Private Party Transfer Fee - $10.00

ryan0320
01-02-2012, 11:22 PM
This issue actually brought a lot of issue on Turner.
The lack of secondary processing method has been a problem. However, I didn't see any improvement for a long time. in addition, the OP was lucky because these employees has shown some care to their customers. In some location, these employees don't care about how customers feel. They just keep joking and chatting among them. That was a good way to piss off the customer.

That's why I don't want to go to there anymore

my 2 cents

Head416
01-03-2012, 8:13 AM
Haven't they said they're rolling out a new system in the next couple months because they know the current one sucks?

Turner's Outdoorsman
01-03-2012, 3:25 PM
Haven't they said they're rolling out a new system in the next couple months because they know the current one sucks?

Yep; it will begin rolling out at the end of the month; we should be done in all stores by the end of February.

gr8dragon88
01-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Systems are built to support the 3 Ps (people + process + performance).

PPQ
02-13-2012, 8:56 PM
I just did a FTF PPT at Turners Corona. The staff was great...the whole process took about 20 minutes.

The only odd thing was they made us go outside to exchange the money on the deal...but I guess they do that so DOJ couldn't accuse them of have a 'sale' take place within the store...:confused:

Socalmedix
02-14-2012, 9:48 AM
My last resort for a PPT Is Turners. My last PPT took almost 2 hrs... On top of how long it took, the staff was unfriendly and treated us like we were criminals looking for our next murder weapon. I understand that a lot of people come in just to fondle guns and that you guys don't make a lot of money on PPTs but I am still spending money there and even though I am young I don't need to be treated like a criminal working on my 3rd strike. Just my $.02