PDA

View Full Version : complete AR kits

un_ave
03-12-2007, 2:01 PM
Hey all,
I've been following the forum for a couple of months now and have had the urge to do an AR build. With 3 kids...I won't be able to go to the range every weekend :( but on my occassional outings...I would like to go have some fun with my AR build.
I don't need a competition type build...or high performance, just something to have some fun with and add a couple of fun goodies (scope, handle, sights, etc).

I have a Stag lower 5.56 and am looking at a reasonably priced complete upper kit (16"). I found this site from a previous thread: http://www.del-ton.com .

is that the best site to get a complete upper kit?

thanks for the advice and info.

6172crew
03-12-2007, 2:10 PM
Hey all,
I've been following the forum for a couple of months now and have had the urge to do an AR build. With 3 kids...I won't be able to go to the range every weekend :( but on my occassional outings...I would like to go have some fun with my AR build.
I don't need a competition type build...or high performance, just something to have some fun with and add a couple of fun goodies (scope, handle, sights, etc).

I have a Stag lower 5.56 and am looking at a reasonably priced complete upper kit (16"). I found this site from a previous thread: http://www.del-ton.com .

is that the best site to get a complete upper kit?

thanks for the advice and info.

I dont know anything about del-ton but I can get you a nice kit with everything you need to build an MForgery as close to the military has for under $700 minus the lower.

If you cant afford that then Id say save your $$ for a few weeks until you have it...but thats me.:)

tiger222
03-12-2007, 2:17 PM
if you have a Stag - go all Stag imho :)

LMT & Colt are my 1st picks.

Sabre Defense & CMMG are also good.

USMC_2651_E5
03-12-2007, 2:17 PM
It sounds like J&T Dist might be what you're looking for. I have bought some parts from them that work just fine. These include barrels, lower receivers, and small parts. For the price of thier comeplete kits, you cant go wrong. They start around $450.

http://www.jtdistributing.com/

tenpercentfirearms
03-12-2007, 2:29 PM
I would recommend you not feel limited by a "kit". A kit sounds cool and all, but really there are only three parts in a kit and four parts in a CA kit.

1. Complete Upper
2. Buttstock
3. Lower Parts Kit (LPK)
4. CA Compliance Parts

That is all there is to it. So if you wanted to stay all Stag or close to it, you could buy a Stag upper, buttstock, and LPK and you would be good to go. You can find these items a little cheaper out there, but I will use my prices as an example.

1. Stag Model 1H $515 or 2H $500
2. A2 fixed $60 or Tactical $80
3. Stag LPK $65 or RRA NM Match $180
4. A) Monsterman $45 B) Bullet Button $25

So instead of feeling enslaved by a kit because it sounds like everything you need, you can get a complete Stag from a vendor like me where you choose your own parts for as low as $650 and that includes the CA compliance Bullet Button or $670 for a MonsterMan set up. Again, that is for Stag parts, Stag parts that you know are good quality and are going to work when they are supposed to.

If your heart is set on a kit, do what you have to do, but don't feel like a Kit offers some great advantages or ease of use when it is really only 3 parts.

Omega13device
03-12-2007, 2:30 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "kit".

If you're new to this the easiest way to go is to buy a complete upper - that includes a complete upper receiver (upper, bolt, bolt carrier, charging handle, forward assist), barrel, handguards, sights and muzzle device (if desired). You don't have to assemble anything this way, just attach it to your lower and you're good to go.

You can find tons of vendors of uppers by visiting the Equipment Exchange on ar15.com.

permanent_45
03-12-2007, 3:18 PM
I agree with most. Do not limit your self to a kit. But if you do go with a kit Del-ton is a great buy. I have a custom Del-ton upper and I love it.

SemiAutoSam
03-12-2007, 3:22 PM
I recall hearing something about DELTON ripping some people off on a group buy ?

If there is any truth to this I would not buy a Roll pin from delton let alone anything more expensive!!

Solidsnake87
03-12-2007, 5:33 PM
A stag makes a great upper that is not too expensive compared to some of the other vendors. I have a bit of everything and, for your situation, I would recommend a DPMS build. DPMS does not make a "combat AR". However, they some of the best sporting ARs out there while also keeping costs down. All DPMS rifles are chambered in .223 unless you outright select 5.56. Also, most DPMS products are not chrome lined. This combo gives excellent accuracy for anything from plinking to competition sports shooting. DPMS products are also much cheaper than most of the higher end vendors because they choose to build a sporting rifle versus a combat rifle. Go read some reviews on the maryland AR shooters site.

Jicko
03-12-2007, 8:18 PM
del-ton got REALLY good prices on some "on sale" items they've got....

they do put on whatever parts they've got their hands on.... but in general, from all the different del-ton builds I had seen personally.... they are pretty WELL MADE.... and seemingly, if you ask, they can kinda tell you what they use for your particular build.... and they don't seem to be the bottom feeder when they come to parts....

so, they may not be the "name brand" like RRA, Stag, CMMG, LMT etc... but they are definitely NOT the worse that i wouldn't recommend....

if $$ is tight.... del-ton may not be a bad choice.... altho, personally, I would rather pay a couple bucks more and know *exactly* what I am getting, and to be able to spec certain things in my builds.... but that's just me...

for example, i insist on 1/7 twist rate... even for my 16" M4-style build.... again, that's just me...

I recall hearing something about DELTON ripping some people off on a group buy ?

If there is any truth to this I would not buy a Roll pin from delton let alone anything more expensive!!

swhatb
03-12-2007, 8:36 PM
I would recommend you not feel limited by a "kit". A kit sounds cool and all, but really there are only three parts in a kit and four parts in a CA kit.

1. Complete Upper
2. Buttstock
3. Lower Parts Kit (LPK)
4. CA Compliance Parts

That is all there is to it. So if you wanted to stay all Stag or close to it, you could buy a Stag upper, buttstock, and LPK and you would be good to go. You can find these items a little cheaper out there, but I will use my prices as an example.

1. Stag Model 1H $515 or 2H $500
2. A2 fixed $60 or Tactical $80
3. Stag LPK $65 or RRA NM Match $180
4. A) Monsterman $45 B) Bullet Button $25

So instead of feeling enslaved by a kit because it sounds like everything you need, you can get a complete Stag from a vendor like me where you choose your own parts for as low as $650 and that includes the CA compliance Bullet Button or $670 for a MonsterMan set up. Again, that is for Stag parts, Stag parts that you know are good quality and are going to work when they are supposed to.

If your heart is set on a kit, do what you have to do, but don't feel like a Kit offers some great advantages or ease of use when it is really only 3 parts.

If you've got a Stag lower then go with Stag parts... makes life easier to put together :D and they'll fit together nicely! Stag makes quality items. Just order from tenpercentfirearms. Even if the prices are a little higher then else where, I've placed orders with him because we need to support our Kali folks... besides he's got what I've need and good customer service ;) I trust him and the products he sells then other dealers.

Fedge
03-13-2007, 11:03 AM
I had Del-ton tell me on the phone they don't ship to Califonia. Yet, I hear people who have bought from them. New policy?

They will not ship lowers to california, but they certainly ship anything else (excepting 30rd magazines, and such). I just bought a rifle kit from them with no issues.

They just don't want to take the liability of shipping lowers to CA.

mltrading
03-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Why kits? Read more and figure out what you really want. It's fun to collect parts (especially on tight budget).

I know, I know... kids are costy.:)

un_ave
03-13-2007, 12:40 PM
thanks for all the response/advice. The more and more I think about it...the more I would really like to get a Stag upper...maybe Santa will be good this year :D