PDA

View Full Version : CDL Expiring during DROS period

FiftyCALifornia
12-31-2011, 3:03 PM
I have a customer who initiated DROS today. His CDL is valid today, but expires on Jan 3rd. Since his CDL expires during his 10 day wait, will that be a problem? How should I document this?

Gio
12-31-2011, 3:10 PM
As long as it is valid the day the dros started they are gtg.

EBR Works
12-31-2011, 5:07 PM
My understanding is that their photo ID must be valid and unexpired at the time of delivery of the firearm.

One of us is correct. Kemasa or 10% will be along in a moment to clear the air....:D

missiondude
12-31-2011, 8:10 PM
I had it happen. You need a valid unexpired ID to pick it up. My licence expired during DROS, then got lost in the system for over a month and I had to start a new DROS. The guy should get a CA ID card ASAP as that would work for pickup...

kemasa
01-01-2012, 8:36 AM
My understanding is that their photo ID must be valid and unexpired at the time of delivery of the firearm.

One of us is correct. Kemasa or 10% will be along in a moment to clear the air....:D

I believe that you are correct, but 10% is the one who really knows this area, not me. He is Mr. ID and proof of residency, so you will have to wait for him to clear the air :-).

bill_k_lopez
01-01-2012, 8:52 AM
This is neither here nor there - but its hard to believe that a bunch of thinking adults actually have to ask about a clarification on something that is so stupid. I'm not knocking any of you, but rather the ridiculous situation we have all found ourselves in, in regard to the most asinine laws and regulations that have been imposed on us.

A drivers license status (valid or expired) only says the holder can or cannot operate a motor vehicle. As a form of ID it is is valid whether valid OR expired. I have federal documents that show who I am - but in the case of a DROS a valid US passport isn't good enough right? Because it clearly says valid CADL.

This is the kind of stuff that just pisses me off to no end - that we are no longer allowed to think.

Rant over..

kemasa
01-01-2012, 8:56 AM
The law requires a valid ID, not just a DL, so an ID or DL is acceptable. An ID also expires, most likely so that they can get more money, but it also ensure that a person does not use an address that they had 20 years ago.

Why isn't a CA ID/DL valid to show proof of residency on its own? That is a nice question as well.

In this case, it is a matter of following the law, not what is reasonable and rational.

tenpercentfirearms
01-01-2012, 9:00 AM
If they do not have a valid CA ID, DL, or military ID with duty station orders, do not release the firearm.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=5722424&postcount=8