PDA

View Full Version : Detachable AR15 Handles Clones Anygood?

m1aowner
03-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Any you guys out there tried one of these clones?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AR15_M16_Removable_Carry_Handle.html

bwiese
03-12-2007, 12:31 AM
Any you guys out there tried one of these clones?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AR15_M16_Removable_Carry_Handle.html

Gotta be Chinese junk at that price.

Who knows what it's compatible with - F marked or regular front sight bases?

m1aowner
03-12-2007, 1:27 AM
I'm guessing this is the same one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CARRY-HANDLE-DPMS-COLT-RRA-RIFLE-FLATTOP-A2-SIGHT_W0QQitemZ230101255124QQcategoryZ73953QQtcZph otoQQcmdZViewItem

mike452
03-12-2007, 2:15 AM
I'm guessing this is the same one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CARRY-HANDLE-DPMS-COLT-RRA-RIFLE-FLATTOP-A2-SIGHT_W0QQitemZ230101255124QQcategoryZ73953QQtcZph otoQQcmdZViewItem

Wow! The seller has 99.9% rating of 36,334.

I've seen them at the gun shows. Quality is decent.

My brain kept telling me they are crap, so I never bought any.

I try to buy only clothing from China. Maybe a car if they buy Chrysler.

Technical Ted
03-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Junk

chiefcrash
03-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Bushmaster's carry handles are on sale until midnight eastern time: http://www.bushmaster.com/taxtime/lkljuwe78.asp

Regularly $117, today $80

bwiese
03-12-2007, 10:50 AM
are BM handles marked i bought one that was supposed to be a BM but i dont really see any marks on it, there is a number 8 on it but thats about it.

Who knows?

That's why you don't try to save 3 nickels and why you buy from a reputable source.

WokMaster1
03-12-2007, 11:14 AM
are BM handles marked i bought one that was supposed to be a BM but i dont really see any marks on it, there is a number 8 on it but thats about it.

Number 8 in Chinese is pronounced Fatt, sounds kinda like F$*K! it broke.:D

bwiese
03-12-2007, 12:05 PM
i bought it from someone on arf in EE, just curious, they were used and i paid used price.

Hope your rifle can zero with it. Hope the calibrations on the knob are accurate.

xenophobe
03-12-2007, 12:35 PM
The calibrations on the Chinese junk handles are incorrectly marked.

Spend the extra dough for a US made forged carry handle. The Chinese is made from cast pot metal...

m1aowner
03-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Ok, I'll probably go with a big namer handle. Better to go with gear you know will be good than curse all day and raise my blood pressure. I've seen some used Colts, DPMS, RRA handles for good prices. Thanks all.

6172crew
03-14-2007, 6:45 AM
Number 8 in Chinese is pronounced Fatt, sounds kinda like F$*K! it broke.:D

LOL:D

TMC
03-14-2007, 6:58 AM
Not trying to start a war here, but how do you know the ones from the reputable source are any better quality?

What makes these junk or others better? If they are forged alum., and the sights are straight then what the difference? How do you identify junk from good quality?

I have a BM that I paid $95 for and a Model 1 and I can't tell them part.

Aren't these things made in the 10's of thousands? Maybe some places are content to make a smaller profit.

Just a thought.

gn3hz3ku1*
03-14-2007, 8:18 AM
for parts that require accuracy, i would spend the extra money. if you are never going to use the iron site on the handle because you want to go with a scope.. .as long as it stays on their tight.. who cares where it is made?

Technical Ted
03-14-2007, 8:33 AM
How do you know if they're quality if they don't come from a reputable source?

Not trying to start a war here, but how do you know the ones from the reputable source are any better quality?

What makes these junk or others better? If they are forged alum., and the sights are straight then what the difference? How do you identify junk from good quality?

I have a BM that I paid $95 for and a Model 1 and I can't tell them part.

Aren't these things made in the 10's of thousands? Maybe some places are content to make a smaller profit.

Just a thought.

PIRATE14
03-14-2007, 8:40 AM
I always find these threads hilarious........LMAO.

You get what you pay for.....if someone is hurting for cash get a used one, BM, COLT, STAG.....etc......

Maybe you can't tell the difference but I know I can.........

Ultimately it's your rifle...is it a toy or an RIFLE.....only U can answer those questions;)

xenophobe
03-14-2007, 8:43 AM
Yeah, I can tell the difference just by looking at it. For those that can't, you can obviously tell the real thing from the fake if you compare them side by side.

bwiese
03-14-2007, 10:00 AM

Well, it's not just about 'quality' of metal/finish - i.e., 'pot metal' stuff.

There are calibration issues. As Xeno said, the chinese aftermarket trash has settings that are just 'wild'.

Also, if you have an F-marked front sight base you wanna use a Colt or truly Colt-compatible carry handle.

If you don't have this you prob want a carry handle not set up for this (i.e., like Bushmaster's, since they don't use F-marked front sight bases). Front sight base heights differ by .040", if I recall correctly, and you can end up with weird situations like having to crank the front sight post beyond the 'ears' of the front sight tower - can vary, sometimes one will work for the other.

I believe Colt even sells a separate carbine carry handle from 20" A4 carry handle. Not sure if other vendors do, maybe CMMG...

Why spend $30 in ammo trying to get zeroed at longer ranges, just to save $30 on a handle?

If you just need a quality combat rear sight and are not concerned about milspec knob calibrations, go get an ARMS, etc flip-up rear sight.

TMC
03-14-2007, 1:17 PM
Thanks for the info. I wasn't being a wise-***** I just didn't know if there was any real difference.

The ones I own have only small differences in the shape of the hole in the handle but the rear sights look the same. On both the rear sight will twist about the same amount and neither lines up straight with the handle. The knods are the same and graduated the same.

As to xenophobe's statement about fakes, what is a fake? anything non-Colt or are there only a small number of companies that make "originals" with all the cheaper low priced ones being fakes? are all Bushmasters, Colts, (insert "quality" name here) exactly the same? I've never seen them all together.

Once again, just trying to learn here. I don't automatically equate price with quality

Centurion_D
03-14-2007, 3:28 PM
Well, it's not just about 'quality' of metal/finish - i.e., 'pot metal' stuff.

There are calibration issues. As Xeno said, the chinese aftermarket trash has settings that are just 'wild'.

Also, if you have an F-marked front sight base you wanna use a Colt or truly Colt-compatible carry handle.

If you don't have this you prob want a carry handle not set up for this (i.e., like Bushmaster's, since they don't use F-marked front sight bases). Front sight base heights differ by .040", if I recall correctly, and you can end up with weird situations like having to crank the front sight post beyond the 'ears' of the front sight tower - can vary, sometimes one will work for the other.

I believe Colt even sells a separate carbine carry handle from 20" A4 carry handle. Not sure if other vendors do, maybe CMMG...

Why spend $30 in ammo trying to get zeroed at longer ranges, just to save $30 on a handle?

If you just need a quality combat rear sight and are not concerned about milspec knob calibrations, go get an ARMS, etc flip-up rear sight.

Hmmm..you brought up a very interesting point Bill. I have a genuine colt detach. carrying handle from the colt 16" flattop upper I purchased years ago at the cow palace gun show. I now have that detach. carrying handle mounted on my 20" barreled flattop sporter. I haven't experienced any issues as far as zeroing in my rifle. I always wondered if it made a difference using that carrying handle..I really can't tell.

Technical Ted
03-14-2007, 4:02 PM
Actually Bill, the M16A4 uses an M4 upper receiver, complete with extended feed ramps, and F stamped front sight bases.

ETA: i.e. The M4 carry handle is standard for both the M4 series and the M16A4.