PDA

View Full Version : Of the three, Which safe

talist
12-31-2011, 11:02 AM
Morning,
Like many others I've spent countless man hours researching safes. I've narrowed the list down to three and would like some opinions. I've attached a PDF that contains some of the specifications of each of options.

The price point for each of the safes are within 100-200 dollars, so that is not much of an issue. I realized that the Bighorn can be had for under $1000, but after professional installation, the price is close to the other two units.

Basically, I need to choose between the Liberty Franklin 25, Diamondback GS5930H, or Bighorn B6030EL.

Any thoughts/comments?

Craig

bombadillo
12-31-2011, 11:13 AM
I'd go for the bighorn from Costco.com, that way if it ever breaks in any way, you can just take it back. Check their stuff out if you haven't already.

cranemech
12-31-2011, 11:36 AM
I purchased the smaller model Bighorn from Costco and am happy with the safe. Of your three choices the Bighorn is the only one with the external hinges. For me these are more convenient, they allow the door to swing open 180 degrees plus allow removal of the door to lessen the weight for transport.

IMO you can't beat the Costco return policy, this was one reason I bought the Bighorn sight unseen, I knew I could take it back.

I don't know your installation details but my delivery driver rolled it right into the garage for me. It was a simple matter to move it into the house but mine was only 400#. My son and I moved mine up two stairs and into the house with an appliance dolly.

bombadillo
12-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Another thing, bighorn sent one via costco to my buddy's house recently, and they actually helped him move it into his garage and set it up. Not huge, but a nice gesture.

llamatrnr
12-31-2011, 1:04 PM
Bighorn gets my vote.

bombadillo
12-31-2011, 3:53 PM
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11468049&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|114|3373&N=4042061&Mo=28&No=4&ViewAll=998&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=3373&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=
http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/ProductLarge/399366LL.jpg

I personally think this is the best bang for the buck on Costco's website if I had to buy one. 70 Min fire protection, 5 spoke handle, 700lbs, and exterior hinges which I really prefer personally. I have one without the hole for a golden rod and am now having to move my stuff indoors rather than the garage floor due to issues with moisture. That one I linked is a killer safe for the money.

talist
12-31-2011, 4:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. It seems the Bighorn is the clear winner. Now, does anyone know of a company that can perform the installation at a reasonable price? The installation quotes I received were from the companies that sells the two other safes on my short list. Unfortunately, if I don't purchase a safe from them, the cost of installation only is high (they want me to buy their safe).

Craig

EscalonShooter
12-31-2011, 5:02 PM
The retail safes are tinker toys. You spend thousands on your guns. Thousands more on scopes and ammo. Why scrimp on the thing that keeps your toys safe? Sturdy safe uses 7ga steel, a UL rated group II commercial combination lock by S&G and they are manufactured in Fresno(right here in the central valley). Their safes will easily last a lifetime. You will pay more for one, but you get what you pay for. We have two and would not buy anything else.

http://www.sturdysafe.com/

FWIW.

bombadillo
12-31-2011, 6:25 PM
Bolt it down properly in a corner with no pry room on the door and it will do 90% of what a better safe will do. People who really want in a safe will get in one way or the other. I always put mine in the corner with the hinge on the outside so no ability to pry except to cut out the walls. Mine are also secured with an alarm system so its an auto dispatch if anyone is even in the same room as my safe! The bighorn will be a solid one for the money and as much as I'd like to agree with escalonshooter, they'll pretty much do the job in a fire or otherwise. Ask Costco to help put it in and they probably will.

RAFA
12-31-2011, 9:45 PM
I so wanted to go with the Bighorn B6030EL but I recently went with the Franklin 25 on the fact that its American made, Bolts are 1/4" bigger, Bolts extend farther then most, 5 bolts on each side and 2 on top (Missing bolts on the bottom but it will be bolted down), Anti pry tabs, and it comes with the DX-90 Monster Mech. I was also able to see the safe in person because Liberty Safes of San Jose is only 14 miles from home, so its pretty sweet knowing I'll be covered when crap happens if it ever happens. :) There's also a $75 rebate and the textured color safes are on sale for $1,399. Good luck on which ever safe you decide to purchase.

WWDHD?
01-01-2012, 8:22 AM
The Liberty Franklin is a very nice looking safe. Nice interior and features. Thats the one I was thinking of buying before I bought my 32x24 Sturdy. Maybe not as Pretty but 7ga vs 11ga. Lots more metal for the money.
Liberty will deliver and install (including bolting down) for a very fair price, $300ish if I remember. Most others just drop-ship in your driveway. Good luck.