PDA

View Full Version : Spare 1911 frame for .22 conversion

Riskas
03-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Hello everyone, I was wondering what would be the best way for me to aquire a spare 1911 frame to build up for use with a kimber .22 conversion kit.

It is my understanding that I cannot buy a new frame from a company like caspian or essex due to the fact that the cannot pass the 'drop test'. However, I have also been told that I could buy a bare frame in a private party transfer, is this true? Or would I simply be better off buying a beater pistol and using the frame from that and build it how I would like?

Are there any other options that I am missing?

-Brian

blkA4alb
03-11-2007, 11:44 PM
At Bullseye Range in San Rafael we have a Kimber with the conversion installed for sale, the price is under $700.

But yes, you could buy a frame through a PPT, frames however cannot be sold by the FFL.

jerryb78
03-11-2007, 11:45 PM
been wanting to do the same project you describe, but with out an affordable frame/ receiver. i could not justify buying a new or good used gun or even a beater 1911 (if you can find one) and building a custom 1911. a brand new lowend 1911 would cost you 400+ buck, beater 1911.... good luck if you can find one.
and if you choose to buy a new/ use lowend 1911 and build it. it would have cost you about the same as buying a new one with all the feature you want.

cheapest route is to buy a 80% receiver/ frame and build you own. this does take some skill and tools that mot people don't have. and i'm pretty positive about building your own pistol in california and making it legal. you just need to follow the ATF guideline when building one. but building an assult weapon type receiver in california in California is a big no no. DOJ will nail you for sure. and you are not allow to build more than 5 per year. if so, you will need to have a class 2 manufacture license which i don't even think they can do that anymore in california- CAL DOJ put a perminent stop to that one. Gunsmith who carry a FFL in california can order pistol receiver and build it, but can't sell it to your or the general public with out passing the DOJ drop test.

it is very very stupid law. but nothing good will come from complaining here.

if you can find a receiver/ frame and do a PPT, i think that it's ok

anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong in anyway. this is what i understood and like to pass on this information . if anyof my statement need to be corrected, let me know and i'll come back it fix it.

good luck with your quest and if you find a cheaper alternative, please let us know. i want to build a few my self.

Hello everyone, I was wondering what would be the best way for me to aquire a spare 1911 frame to build up for use with a kimber .22 conversion kit.

It is my understanding that I cannot buy a new frame from a company like caspian or essex due to the fact that the cannot pass the 'drop test'. However, I have also been told that I could buy a bare frame in a private party transfer, is this true? Or would I simply be better off buying a beater pistol and using the frame from that and build it how I would like?

Are there any other options that I am missing?

-Brian

Riskas
03-12-2007, 4:59 PM
At Bullseye Range in San Rafael we have a Kimber with the conversion installed for sale, the price is under $700.

But yes, you could buy a frame through a PPT, frames however cannot be sold by the FFL.

The only problem with that is that I already have the .22 conversion that I swap onto my kimber when I dont want my wallet to hurt.

Would it be possible to supply the conversion to a gunsmith and have him build a frame around that, or would it still need to be drop tested?

-Brian

jerryb78
03-12-2007, 11:08 PM
i think it still need a drop test reguardless. i'm pretty sure about it. or else everybody will be doing it. i know i would

thedonger
03-13-2007, 9:09 AM
Yes you can buy a 1911 frame via PPT IF you can find someone who has one for sale.

asintado
03-13-2007, 12:14 PM
You could try looking for a used or inexpensive Rock Island Armory 1911. There are some beaters out there you just have to find them.