PDA

View Full Version : AR magazine markings

Ken Cochrane
03-11-2007, 10:19 PM
is there any markings on a 30 or 20 rd magazine that would indicate that it was Mfg after 2000? Just curious. Thanks

wuhungsix
03-11-2007, 10:27 PM
my 10 rd bushmasters are date stamped and I have seen 30rd ones stamped as well.

69Mach1
03-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Yes, and no. Pre 1994 Fed. Assault Weapons Ban magazines have no markings indicating date of manufacture, or marked with dates prior to 94. From 1994-2004 all standard cap. magazines were marked with "Law Enforcement Use Only", indicating they were manufactured during the ban. Now that the ban has expired, those marked magazines are civillian legal, but not in California, unless you replaced a prior owned standard cap. magazine (pre-2000) body with one of the marked bodies.

Some magazines for certain types of rifles/pistols did not exsist prior to the 1994 magazine ban. Those are a dead giveaway. Most newly manafactured ones today do not have dates on them, but it isn't illegal to use those newly manufactured mags as replacement parts for magazines you had prior to 2000, including the LE marked ones. There are a few exceptions of course.

Jicko
03-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Most of the new magazines have date stamps on them...

The bottom line is... why do you need to ask this question... if you don't already own some magazines back from before the 2000 ban.... then just forget it.... if you acquire them now, you are breaking the laws...

And if you DO have some before the ban.... who cases whether new ones got date stamp or not.... even if you want replacement parts... that's all legal.... everything is clearly stated regarding that you are allowed to get and use replacement parts!!

jli567
03-11-2007, 10:56 PM
sorry for the hijack but I actually have some AR and sig aftermarket mags thats all beat up and has some rusting on them and if I want to replace the outer parts of them but if no one will ship standard cap mags to cali then where or how do i find replacement parts for them?

hoffmang
03-11-2007, 10:59 PM
C Products will sell you replacement parts for the AR mags - http://www.cproductsllc.com/

-Gene

jli567
03-11-2007, 11:10 PM
GREAT! thanks.

jjperl
03-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Gene, C Products will ship hi-cap mag replacement bodies to cali?

hoffmang
03-11-2007, 11:19 PM
My understanding is yes. However, I've seen some folks who have had some delays getting their orders.

-Gene

PLINK
03-11-2007, 11:44 PM
I think Copes will too.

Hunter
03-12-2007, 5:47 AM
Yes, and no. Pre 1994 Fed. Assault Weapons Ban magazines have no markings indicating date of manufacture,....

I believe this all depends on the magazine and who made it. Just this weekend I broke open a case of AR-15 30rnd mags that are marked: "Cooper Industries, Upland CA, 91786 Mfg Code: 030389" on the floor plates. In this case, I believe the Mfg Code is the date they were made. The newspaper wrapping they were stored in was marked April 17, 1989.

Jicko
03-12-2007, 6:58 AM
sorry for the hijack but I actually have some AR and sig aftermarket mags thats all beat up and has some rusting on them and if I want to replace the outer parts of them but if no one will ship standard cap mags to cali then where or how do i find replacement parts for them?

Many vendors WILL send replacement parts into CA, since that's totally legal!!

69Mach1
03-12-2007, 7:09 AM
I believe this all depends on the magazine and who made it. Just this weekend I broke open a case of AR-15 30rnd mags that are marked: "Copper Industries, Upland CA, 91786 Mfg Code: 030389" on the floor plates. In this case, I believe the Mfg Code is the date they were made. The newspaper wrapping they were stored in was marked April 17, 1989.

That's true, but floor plates are the easiest to replace. None of my original preban AR mags have any "born on dates" on the body. Some bodies made after 2004 have dates on them while most don't, but it's not illegal to use those replacement bodies. However, I'd avoid them because of the lack of knowledge from LEO's. You're also asking for trouble if you use replacement "Law enforcement use only" marked bodies, if you run into the wrong Cop. There's also nothing wrong with increasing the capacity of the preban standard cap. magazines by replacing the bodies with higher capacity ones (excluding drums).

Jicko
03-12-2007, 7:15 AM
There's also nothing wrong with increasing the capacity of the preban standard cap. magazines by replacing the bodies with higher capacity ones (excluding drums).

IS THAT TRUE??

I always thought that you can't make them into something they weren't before.....

Does it mean that I can take the follower out of my G17 hi-cap mag(17rounds), and put that in one of those long 31rounders replacement parts? And now I have a 31rounds-9mm mag? Are you sure?

AJAX22
03-12-2007, 8:17 AM
IS THAT TRUE??

I always thought that you can't make them into something they weren't before.....

Does it mean that I can take the follower out of my G17 hi-cap mag(17rounds), and put that in one of those long 31rounders replacement parts? And now I have a 31rounds-9mm mag? Are you sure?

Yes it's true,

but remember that there are different types of G17 mags and the parts will only interchange between like serieses.

i.e. a Non Drop Free, Non Full metal lined G17 mag will only interchange followers with a Non Drop Free, Non Full metal lined G18 (31 round) mag.

the current production parts available are for the Drop Free, Full metal lined mags only. It's very hard to find parts for the older style ones.

I have a bunch of them that I've been working on rebuilding for a while (both 17 rounders and 31 rounders) and finding the older parts is difficult.

I believe the baseplates interchange freely, but I may be wrong, I'm still working on getting my glock mag education.

bwiese
03-12-2007, 8:44 AM
There's also nothing wrong with increasing the capacity of the preban standard cap. magazines by replacing the bodies with higher capacity ones (excluding drums).

IS THAT TRUE??

Does it mean that I can take the follower out of my G17 hi-cap mag (17rounds), and put that in one of those long 31 rounders replacement parts? And now I have a 31 rounds-9mm mag? Are you sure?

There is no possible criminal charge for adding to the capacity of an already-legally-owned hicap mag - that is, one you had in CA on or before 12/31/1999. [It's conceptually very similar to adding a flash hider, etc. to an already-registered CA AW: there are no degrees, tiers or levels of AW status.]

The law only deals w/creation & acquisition of new hicaps. But in this type of situation, you already have a hicap so no 'creating a hicap' boundary is being crossed. You also have backing because reparing or replacing parts on a hicap mag is legal, and there is DOJ paperwork (for what it's worth) saying this is OK.

69Mach1's assertion about drum restrictions is pushing things but still appears legal if done in a certain way. A mag ain't a hicap mag unless all the parts are assembled, and parts are legit to buy. If you were to find a drum mag that was not complete (say, no neck/feed area) and you just had drum proper replacement parts, those could be added to, say, an existing legally-owned hicap 20rd mag. You would not be creating a new hicap drum mag, you would be increasing the capacity of an existing hicap mag.

TheMan
03-12-2007, 8:52 AM
My understanding is yes. However, I've seen some folks who have had some delays getting their orders.

-Gene

From what I have seen on arfcom, C Products has been having delays with their orders in general. So it may not be a CA issue.

I think I saw somewhere else that Brownells will ship mag bodies to CA.

xenophobe
03-12-2007, 11:11 AM
69Mach1's assertion about drum restrictions is pushing things but still appears legal if done in a certain way. A mag ain't a hicap mag unless all the parts are assembled, and parts are legit to buy. If you were to find a drum mag that was not complete (say, no neck/feed area) and you just had drum proper replacement parts, those could be added to, say, an existing legally-owned hicap 20rd mag. You would not be creating a new hicap drum mag, you would be increasing the capacity of an existing hicap mag.

However, none of the parts are interchangeable, and I wonder the legality of taping or gluing the baseplate of a large capacity magazine onto the drum (or any other tactic) to say that you were just repairing a magazine....

leelaw
03-12-2007, 12:45 PM
However, none of the parts are interchangeable, and I wonder the legality of taping or gluing the baseplate of a large capacity magazine onto the drum (or any other tactic) to say that you were just repairing a magazine....

Nah, gluing is kind of silly and blatant. What about machining the bottom of the 20rdr to fit the top of the drum? It's not modifying the magazine so it is no longer useable in the original firearm, since the only thing that will be changed is the bottom of the body, where it meets the top of the drum. Maybe do some creative bending, cutting, welding, etc. I wonder if that could be done..