PDA

View Full Version : Bad day at the range

jjperl
03-11-2007, 6:19 PM
I purchased 500rds of Brown Bear lacquered steel case ammo for my new OLL and had nothing but problems. I had two shells stick in the chamber when the ejecter ripped in the back of the shells off. The second time it happened I packed my stuff up and left the range after only putting 100 rds down range.

I think the lacquer was heating up in the chamber and making the shells stick. So, never ever use steel cased lacquered .223 ammo in your OLL's, its bad stuff. Do everything you can to avoid it... run from it as fast as you can and never look back.

Oswald2001
03-11-2007, 6:48 PM
I have shot about 10,000 rounds of steel cased ammo with NO PROBLEM.

It's great stuff. I have about 15,000 rounds of steel cased ammo left in my plinking stash. (Bought it on sale for about $.10/round shipped a while back)

Some guns don't like some ammo. It doesn't make the ammo junk.

Who knows, maybe it's your gun that is the problem?

Bottom line is...ya just gotta shoot what your gun likes.

Millions and millions and millions of firearms all over the world have used steel cased ammo for more than 80 years.

jjperl
03-11-2007, 7:03 PM
I noticed my rifle was super dirty after only 100rds. It's also heavly coated with lacquer. Maybe its just this brand of steel cased ammo?

Matt C
03-11-2007, 7:33 PM
IMO it's not the steel case it's the laquer. Nasty stuff, I won't use it. The polymer stuff(wolf) is fine.

xenophobe
03-11-2007, 8:07 PM
Some guns don't like some ammo. It doesn't make the ammo junk.

Actually, bad analogy.

Some guns don't mind junk ammo, some guns do.

jjperl
03-11-2007, 8:27 PM
Now I gotta figure out to do with the rest of this ammo.

Trempel
03-11-2007, 8:52 PM
I noticed my rifle was super dirty after only 100rds.
That's the nature of the beast. AR that use direct impingement gas system get nasty very quick. My BCG looks coated in carbon after only a couple of mags. Also, ripping off the backs of cases is not uncommon for AR carbines. It doesn't just happen with steel cased ammo. What length gas system do you have on your rifle and is your chamber chromed? You combine high pressure at the time of extraction with "sticky" cases and non-chromed chamber and you're going to have problems.
Personally, I've put a moderate amount of laquered and polymer Wolf through my AR and while it's not exactly match-grade ammo, it ran fine. I didn't do any torture tests with it, but for occasional plinking/emergency ammo, it's fine.

Oh, if you want to get rid of the ammo, I'll gladly pay shipping to CO. :D

Rem1492
03-11-2007, 9:22 PM
that .223 ammo is great in AKs and other .223 rifles but ARs dont like laquer. I jammed up 3 ARs at the same time on a shoot one day. That quickly concluded that the cause was laquer.

Gotta get acetone and wipe your champer out REAL well to get it back to normal.

permanent_45
03-11-2007, 9:26 PM
IMO it's not the steel case it's the laquer. Nasty stuff, I won't use it. The polymer stuff(wolf) is fine.

I read some place that the poly stuff is a little cleaner just never shoot brass after it. I guess the steel case does not expand as much as brass, letting more gases past the case. If you go to brass the brass case expands more and will stick to the melted poly. I think you can find more info on AR15.com

chiefcrash
03-11-2007, 9:33 PM
one of the things i've heard about wolf and other steel cased ammo is it isn't the lacquer so much...

the steel case doesn't expand all the way to seal the chamber, so dirty gas gets into the chamber and builds up soot. so the case will expand into this soot and get glued in place (this is especially noticeable when you shoot 100 rounds of wolf then switch to brass cased)

jsonnier
03-11-2007, 9:37 PM
one of the things i've heard about wolf and other steel cased ammo is it isn't the lacquer so much...

the steel case doesn't expand all the way to seal the chamber, so dirty gas gets into the chamber and builds up soot. so the case will expand into this soot and get glued in place (this is especially noticeable when you shoot 100 rounds of wolf then switch to brass cased)

You hit the nail on the head .

jjperl
03-11-2007, 9:43 PM
no more steel case lacquer ammo for me, im switching to brass and only brass. I've shot brass through my rifle before and it didn't get nearly as dirty as it did with steel case ammo.

Mr. Ed
03-11-2007, 9:54 PM
I had bad experiences with Golden Bear and Silver Bear in my OLL. It would jam every fourth or fifth round. Drove me nuts. However, my Mini-14 ate it up like nothing else, and was able to deliver 4" groups at 100 yds. Some of you may laugh at a 4" group at 100 yds, but that's plenty accurate for SHTF.

patman
03-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Steel instead of brass is great for the mini-14, especially considering that it usually gets ejected 4 to 10 benches down. The longer distance is if you don't whack someone on the head ;) [ Usually no one is to the right or I'm the furthest right]

For my mini-14, I liked the silver bear .223. The wolf stuff works OK too in it. If I can hit the 4foot square target with the peep's I'm happy. The 4x scope does let me see the target better though :rolleyes:

Considering the current demand for all types of .223, you'll probably be able to get most of your money back with someone local willing to buy it off of you!

chiefcrash
03-12-2007, 7:21 AM
no more steel case lacquer ammo for me, im switching to brass and only brass. I've shot brass through my rifle before and it didn't get nearly as dirty as it did with steel case ammo.

yea, i only use the steel cased stuff on my SKS (and will use it on my AK when i build it). Of course, the SKS and AK were designed to use the steel cased stuff...

proraptor
03-12-2007, 7:32 AM
I will only use steel case stuff in my AK....CMMG will void your warranty if they see you have shot steel cased ammo through it...Thats got to tell you something about it...

Oswald2001
03-12-2007, 9:30 AM
Not necessarily, it just makes things easier on the manufacturer.

Please, keep your prejudices, hold them tightly and don't buy any more steel cased ammo.

Then the price will go down and I can buy it up for $.07/round. :D

While so many people are determined to have problems...I will continue to have none.

You can find me at the range with a smile on my face firing away with nary a problem. Round after round. Mag after mag. Case after case. Month after month. Year after year. :)

I have had problems before with high dollar brass cased ammo. The ammo was fine and the gun was fine. The combination of the two just didn't work out.

Like many marriages.:p

mike100
03-12-2007, 9:44 AM
take a look at the chamber wall finish. I actually own a mosin that ejects spent steel cases rather easily. it's real slick and built well (post war russian).