PDA

View Full Version : What kind of 1911 would you recommend? (Details inside)

Rums
03-11-2007, 5:46 PM
Okay, here's what I'm looking for. I need a 1911 handgun to use for competition. I need it to be 9mm (for the cost) and I need it to be double stacked for when I'm out of state and want to shoot high caps (I drive to Florida a few times a year and compete with my uncle, I'll wanna shoot high caps then, and don't worry, nothing illegal, the high caps will remain in Florida). Other then that, its pretty open ended as to what I need. Cost is a factor, but I wanna see what's out there first before I decide to limit it based on cost. The closest thing I can find so far is a Para Ordinance 18-9:

http://www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=19

All recommendations are much appreciated, thanks in advance.

-Rums

Greg-Dawg
03-11-2007, 5:51 PM
I've shot a couple of 1911's, but the best one out them would be a Kimber.

FatKatMatt
03-11-2007, 5:53 PM
A double stack 9 x 19 is a bastardization of the 1911 and no true man would own one :p

Seriously, just get a regular single stack .45, that is what the gun was designed for.

Rums
03-11-2007, 5:53 PM
Does Kimber make a double stack 9mm?

Prc329
03-11-2007, 6:51 PM
What is your price range? STI makes some double stack 1911s. Not sure of the prices though. I own a para PXT LTC, great gun but it is not what you want. Mine is a single stack 45.

MadMex
03-11-2007, 7:25 PM
A double stack 9 x 19 is a bastardization of the 1911 and no true man would own one :p

Seriously, just get a regular single stack .45, that is what the gun was designed for.
Amen brother. Hallelujah!

Miltiades
03-11-2007, 7:50 PM
I'm not sure how you get one of these in CA, but STI makes a gun called "The Edge" with double stack magazine and target sights, in calibers 9mm, .40, .38 Super and .45. The MSRP is $1,874 and here are the specs:

Caliber...........9 m.m., .38 Super, .40 S&W, .45ACP
Frame............STI Patented Modular Steel, Long Wide
Grip...............STI Patented Modular Polymer with Aluminum Mag well
Slide..............Unique w/ Front and Rear Serrations
Trigger...........Long Curved
Barrel.............STI fully supported, ramped bull barrel
Safeties.........Stainless STI Grip and Ambi sided thumb
Guide Rod.......STI RecoilMaster
Sights............STI Front w/ STI Adjustable Rear
Overall Length..8-5/8
Weight...........38.5 oz.
Finish.............Blue
Competition Approvals.......IPSC, USPSA

Here is a picture of it on the STI website:

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Edge/images/EdgeWeb05_800w.jpg

ghost
03-11-2007, 8:21 PM
Does Kimber make a double stack 9mm?

yes they do! kimber bp ten2 and the ultra bp ten2.both are polymer and use 10 round double stack mags theyre .45`s

koiloco
03-11-2007, 8:45 PM
I've shot a couple of 1911's, but the best one out them would be a Kimber.

Shoot a couple more , you might change your mind :)

Rums
03-11-2007, 8:46 PM
STI is a bit out of my price range and not California legal. Kimber does make a double stack, but its in .45 and I need it in 9mm for cost reasons. I plan to shoot a lot, and anything that keeps cost down is worth it. I don't mind springing a bit for the cost of the gun, but ammo is crucial for me.

railroader
03-11-2007, 10:50 PM
It's not a 1911 but how about a single action cz75b then get a trigger job. It's a double stack and the price won't break the bank. I have a regular cz75b and it shoots almost as well as my 2 kimbers. Mark

Franksremote
03-12-2007, 12:31 AM
STI is a bit out of my price range and not California legal. Kimber does make a double stack, but its in .45 and I need it in 9mm for cost reasons. I plan to shoot a lot, and anything that keeps cost down is worth it. I don't mind springing a bit for the cost of the gun, but ammo is crucial for me.

Start reloading, it'll work out to around the same price as 9mm new and less depending on your choice of components.

[quote]It's not a 1911 but how about a single action cz75b then get a trigger job. It's a double stack and the price won't break the bank. I have a regular cz75b and it shoots almost as well as my 2 kimbers. [/qutoe]

+1 one on the CZ, no 1911 but double stack and a great little production shooter

slick_711
03-12-2007, 12:42 AM
Get something else. Those STIs are very nice pistols, but as you said they are not Kali legal. Besides, double stack 1911s are an abomination, and non-.45 cal 1911s are borderline. The CZ75, G-34, or XD-9 5" are all good options.

Or move to NV and buy an STI in .38 Super Comp or 9mm. They are beautiful, as much as I like to play the ".45 only holy J.M.B.'s original design 1911" attitude, they shoot beautifully as well.

gunrun45
03-12-2007, 1:36 AM
Find a used EAA witness gold series in 9mm (the gun to beat) if you start looking at non-1911 guns.
Otherwise I would tru the Para 9mm wide body. Not a bad gun and 18 rounds in high caps if memory serves. Might be 19 rounds, I'm to tired to remember...

Rums
03-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Gunrun, you're right, its 18 rounds for the Para (thus the name 18-9; 18 rounds in the mag, 9mm caliber; its the same naming convention for all Paras). My dad has a CZ75b, but its at the gunsmith getting the mag retainer spring taken out so we can use it for competition.

WINGEDSWORD
03-17-2007, 1:10 PM
Stick to a Colt, if you can find one. I have been shooting 1911 style handguns for 50 years. I have shot all the brands out there, except that STI.
Over the years, I have found the best reliability vs cost has been the Colts.
I currently own 3 Stainless Governments in .45, a stainless Gold Cup .45, A Blue Government in .45 and a 9MM Combat Commander!

Jon
03-17-2007, 6:11 PM
Para makes a few double-stack 9MMs, here's one:

http://www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=82

1911jerry
03-17-2007, 6:18 PM
You won't find a better 9mm that the Edge. Might be difficult to purchase one in Kali.....especially in 9mm! I have one in .40 and it rocks.

JS

I'm not sure how you get one of these in CA, but STI makes a gun called "The Edge" with double stack magazine and target sights, in calibers 9mm, .40, .38 Super and .45. The MSRP is $1,874 and here are the specs:

Caliber...........9 m.m., .38 Super, .40 S&W, .45ACP
Frame............STI Patented Modular Steel, Long Wide
Grip...............STI Patented Modular Polymer with Aluminum Mag well
Slide..............Unique w/ Front and Rear Serrations
Trigger...........Long Curved
Barrel.............STI fully supported, ramped bull barrel
Safeties.........Stainless STI Grip and Ambi sided thumb
Guide Rod.......STI RecoilMaster
Sights............STI Front w/ STI Adjustable Rear
Overall Length..8-5/8”
Weight...........38.5 oz.
Finish.............Blue
Competition Approvals.......IPSC, USPSA

Here is a picture of it on the STI website:

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Edge/images/EdgeWeb05_800w.jpg

theholsterstorecom
03-17-2007, 6:21 PM
i would go with the para, percise shooting, and awesome with the non-jam effect

kilword
03-17-2007, 10:33 PM
svi(STI) offers two legal models in 40sw they run about 2300 I believe.

fguerra
03-17-2007, 11:14 PM
Contra Costa Firearms had a Colt in 9mm at the Cow Palace show. Don't remember the $$$ though.

Big Mac at Irvington Arms has/had a Colt XSE in stainless for $860ish I think. He HAD 2 of them, but one is coming home with me.:D But not until next month:mad:

gobabygo
03-18-2007, 1:34 AM
It always surprises me when people say bad things about double stack 1911s. I suppose that there is some merit as to the need for the capacity for the average shooter, but anyone that wants to shoot, in particular, USPSA competition shooting will want to have a double stack 1911 at some point. Maybe it would help if we call them 2011s?

I mean, every single one of the best shooters in the world use 2011s for competition. They are what is being used for probably 99% of the open guns used in competition. Ok, maybe not Sevigny but that's only because he shoots for Glock. And of course Jerry uses his wheelguns, but the rest of them all do.

Anyway, back to the task at hand. Rums, what kind of competition shooting do you want to do? A double stack 1911 but in 9mm really only means Open class since Limited must be .40 at least. It could be for IDPA or other types of competition I suppose but I'm not as familiar with those. In CA your choices for a new 2011 are either an SVI (Strayer Voight Infinity) or a Barsto. I've heard that with both you buy the gun on the approved list, but they will change the caliber to whatever you want after you buy it. The only other option is to get lucky and find one PPT. With these you're looking at $2400+ for one new at the end of the day here in CA.

There are also other options also. Glocks are double stack and a 17 or 34 also fits your criteria and can be used in open as well as production or limited 10 depending on how you trick it out and what mags you have. Also, you could go with a CZ. I would go with a CZ SP-01 with some work done by Angus Hobdell over the 75BSA (my personal preference) or there is also the CZ TS.

The question you really need to answer is what types of competition do you want to shoot? Most sports are very accomodating and have a division where you can shoot nearly any gun that you have. Of course when you get hooked, you want to have all the guns to shoot in all the different classes.

randy
03-18-2007, 8:34 PM
Buy an SVI in 45 Cal legal for about $300. you can convert it to 9mm

Either that or you're stuck with a Para

randy
03-18-2007, 8:35 PM
Sorry I should have said for about an additonal $300.00 you can convert it to 9mm.

Quiet
03-18-2007, 8:51 PM
Rums, you stated cost is a factor.
So, not sure if you know this, but almost all double stack 9x19mm 1911s cost over $2000.

If you want a double stacked single action handgun, you should look at Browning Hi-Powers.

boogak
03-19-2007, 2:38 PM
what about springfield armory? dont they have a double stack?