View Full Version : Noob whine about hunting

03-11-2007, 12:30 PM
I started planning some possible hunting purchases. But after a little thought and research became discouraged. I wouldn't be making these purchases just to hunt the small ranch I go to now. I'd just make do with my current equipment. I'd be buying the new equipment with daydreams of bigger hunting adventures.

But it seems like that daydream's pretty far removed from reality.
I'm willing to put out the work scouting the land and whatever else it takes. I've been hunting a few times on private land, haven't taken a shot but still enjoyed myself. So it's not like I expect to see game every time I go out. But it seems like the odds of success on public land are pretty low ~5% maybe lower. The majority of pigs are taken on private land. But how do you get access to the land without a guide or connections? I don't want to go on a guided hunts where you're more of a shooter rather than a hunter. Wilderness Unlimited is an option but $1000 a year plus an initiation fee is a fair amount of money.

I'm just confused and discouraged. Thanks for listening.

03-11-2007, 2:23 PM
You ultimately must have connections or use a guide if you want to pig hunt in Ca. The only other suggestion is trying Fort Hunter Legget. All the other marginal BLM land has so much pressure from other hunters, butterflies don't even land around there.

If I may make a suggestion, try hunting other game. Though pigs are plentiful, land is not.

03-11-2007, 2:24 PM
Look on the central California military bases.

M. Sage
03-11-2007, 2:35 PM
That's 90% of what keeps me from looking too hard at hunting here. Nowhere to do it, and I sure as hell can't afford the private land/guided hunts.