PDA

View Full Version : Add FlashSupressor upper to 94 registered AR

manta8888
03-11-2007, 1:12 PM
Hi, have registered pre 94 ban AR., detatchable mag.
Can I add a new upper with a flash suppressor to registered lower w/ detatchable mag?
is new flash supressor legal since AR is registered 94?-detatchable mag
does DOJ have record if registered AR 1994 has a flash suppressor or not?

billym
03-11-2007, 1:14 PM
I think you can make it as "evil" as you want since it is a reg'd AW**.

The sages of CalGuns will be with you shortly to confirm.:)

**Oops I forgot to say if it is a Ca reg'd AW sorry.

leelaw
03-11-2007, 1:16 PM
Pre 94 and post 94 don't matter anymore. What matters is if it has been registered as an assault weapon in California. Has it been so registered?

IF the rifle is a CA registered AW, then you can put a flash suppressor, collapsable stock, pistol grip, and vertical fore grip on it)

TacFan
03-11-2007, 1:29 PM
SInce this was brought up, can people put silencers on registered assault weapons ? :D

Lateralus
03-11-2007, 1:49 PM
i may be wrong, and im sure someone else is going to correct me, but i think suppressors are class 3 and you need many things including but not limited to a class 3 ffl and a large tax that goes with it to acquire one....

Jicko
03-11-2007, 2:38 PM
SInce this was brought up, can people put silencers on registered assault weapons ? :D

I believed the answer is yes, if you can legally own one.

veeklog
03-11-2007, 2:44 PM
Hi, have registered pre 94 ban AR., detatchable mag.
Can I add a new upper with a flash suppressor to registered lower w/ detatchable mag?
is new flash supressor legal since AR is registered 94?-detatchable mag
does DOJ have record if registered AR 1994 has a flash suppressor or not?

Yes, you can put anything you want on it, except for a silencer.

Lateralus
03-11-2007, 2:45 PM
im still waiting for bill to discover this thread.

i always learn things when he posts....

bwiese
03-11-2007, 3:08 PM
This question is a bit unclear perhaps.

The pre-94 stuff is irrelevant as that's the expired Federal AW.

Was your gun specifically registered as an assault weapon in CA by 1991, or in 2000 (actually up to 1/22/01 for ARs and AKs)?

Don't confuse this AW registration with the paperwork you fill out when you buy a rifle at the gunshop. Many people have made this mistake, to their sadness.

If your AR is indeed a reg'd AW in CA, it can have any evil feature added to it except a grenade launcher (which is illegal in & of itself). You are free to have a flash suppressor (a.k.a. 'flash hider') on such a rifle: once a rifle is a reg'd CA assault weapon, there are no degrees, tiers or levels or restrictions of AW status.

Since this was brought up, can people put silencers on registered assault weapons?

No, no, no and hell no!

Do not confuse 'flash suppressor' with a 'sound suppressor' - the latter is a big no-no regardless of AW status.

If this were true, ranges would be very quiet places ;)

TacFan
03-11-2007, 3:11 PM
This question is a bit unclear perhaps.

The pre-94 stuff is irrelevant as that's the expired Federal AW.

Was your gun specifically registered as an assault weapon in CA by 1991, or in 2000 (actually up to 1/22/01 for ARs and AKs)?

Don't confuse this AW registration with the paperwork you fill out when you buy a rifle at the gunshop. Many people have made this mistake, to their sadness.

If your AR is indeed a reg'd AW in CA, it can have any evil feature added to it except a grenade launcher (which is illegal in & of itself). You are free to have a flash suppressor (a.k.a. 'flash hider') on such a rifle: once a rifle is a reg'd CA assault weapon, there are no degrees, tiers or levels or restrictions of AW status.

No, no, no and hell no!

Do not confuse 'flash suppressor' with a 'sound suppressor' - the latter is a big no-no regardless of AW status.

If this were true, ranges would be very quiet places ;)

thought so ... but was there ever a time when you were able to have a silencer ?

Lateralus
03-11-2007, 3:18 PM
bill, was i right about the class 3 stuff? i rememberr reading that somewhere....

bwiese
03-11-2007, 3:23 PM
thought so ... but was there ever a time when you were able to have a silencer ?

You still can, just not in CA (because separate DOJ permit required). For all practical purposes it's impossible to get (I'd hope someone would prove me wrong, though).

If you live in a free state (i.e, not CA), you can get "cans" permitted thru ATF and pay the $200 tax stamp. Lotsa folks have 'em.

It's important to note that parts for unreg'd sound suppressors (silencers) may be as bad as silencers themselves from a legal standpoint (at least Federally), so this is another possible concern about 'fake silencers' esp if dimensionally identical to a production one.

TacFan
03-11-2007, 3:26 PM
Yep, I think those fake silencers that people are putting on their ARs call more attention to the rifle, which may not necessarily be a good thing.

bwiese
03-11-2007, 3:30 PM
Yep, I think those fake silencers that people are putting on their ARs call more attention to the rifle, which may not necessarily be a good thing.

Yup. If you really really wanted one the 'sleeve' one might be acceptable (i.e., non-can/no innards).

I just think it's unwise to bait the dogs.

manta8888
03-11-2007, 6:46 PM
Thanks to all for your assistance.

Special thanks to Bill as usual for his knowledge.

Fortunately, just found my AW registration receit; 2001.

Is a potato considered a silencer?

TacFan
03-11-2007, 7:02 PM
Thanks to all for your assistance.

Special thanks to Bill as usual for his knowledge.

Fortunately, just found my AW registration receit; 2001.

Is a potato considered a silencer?

Yes, but a pillow isn't :D

-badcredit-
03-11-2007, 7:15 PM
Was there an actual registration receipt way back then??? Sadly I am going throught the whole request to the DOJ for all weapons under my name crap. I'd sacrifice a chicken if I thought it would bring me good news :(

RossRinSD
03-11-2007, 7:23 PM
Yes, but a pillow isn't :D

a pillow is a splash suppressor

Lateralus
03-11-2007, 8:05 PM
I'd sacrifice a chicken if I thought it would bring me good news :(

do it anyway im hungry:D

Jicko
03-12-2007, 12:04 AM
SpikeTactical Fake silencer is a solid piece of metal.... there is no way that it is a "part" for a real silencer.... also... it is not model from any *real* silencer out there.... it is merely a weird looking thread protector!

manta8888
03-12-2007, 12:46 AM
Is it a felony if you put a potatoe or a pillow on your gun?
wouldn't be surprized in PRK

jerryb78
03-12-2007, 12:57 AM

good one, if it not a felony, than i will have to make a few trip to wal mart and Albertson adn stock up on pillow and potato. wal mart and albertson sale figure this month is resting on this answer.:D

artherd
03-12-2007, 2:45 AM

artherd
03-12-2007, 2:46 AM

Absolutely a felony, don't ever try it.