PDA

View Full Version : Putting together BugOut minimalist reloading kit

problemchild
12-29-2011, 12:50 PM
OK so the digital scale and caliper got me thinking. What if I needed to go to my BOL in a hurry. I cannot take my D-650 and all the acc's. I would want a way to at least reload one bullet at a time.

If I take my:

Rockchucker or junior Rockchucker + shell holders (45, 223, 308)
My beam scale
Dial caliper
Dies for each caliber (45, 223, 308)
Manual trimmer
Primers (LR, SR, SP)
Powders
Bullets

That could all fit in 1 or 2 ammo cans and give me the ability to reload.

Opinions?

Cranium
12-29-2011, 1:40 PM
What about skip the scale and go for dippers?

donger
12-29-2011, 1:50 PM
The RC is a little heavy for a BOB. Perhaps one of those Lee hand loaders?

Some Guy
12-29-2011, 1:55 PM
If you own 3 presses and rarely use a certain one I would stage it at the bol next time you're there.

Maddog5150
12-29-2011, 1:59 PM
Lee has a press you may be interested in. It kinda looks like a nut cracker and is done by hand, no table needed. also lee has the little kits where you use a hammer and scooper. Really light and cool for camping trips

xgi1991
12-29-2011, 2:41 PM
+1 on the Lee, I have had this one for years, http://leeprecision.com/xcart/12G-LOAD-ALL-II.html , for loading my 12g rounds, works great and I can put out about one every 5 seconds. They have some awesome rifle and pistol caliber setups as well.

cudakidd
12-29-2011, 2:51 PM
Reload? Really? In what SHTF scenario would you want to bother with it?

If Bug in, No issues.

Bug out? You plan to carry powder, primers, dies, etc with you? As opposed to two ammo cans full of ammo?

Might want to think this through a little more...

mschliebs
12-29-2011, 3:09 PM
Spoils of the shoot-out go to those who live. Either you take their stuff or they take your stuff. Of course, if your plans are to just go bang, bang with your gun and scare them away there probably wouldn't be any stuff to collect.

jeffrice6
12-29-2011, 3:12 PM
Lee Classic Loader Kit

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lee-Classic-Loader-Kit/733635.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3FN%3D0%26Ntk%3 DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dlee%2Breloading%2Bpress%26WT. z_mc_id1%3D43000000117935444%26pcrid%3D%26WT.srch% 3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%26WT.mc_id%3Dbing%7Csho_Reload ing_Presses%2BDies%7CUSA%26rid%3D20&Ntt=lee+reloading+press&WTz_l=PPC

problemchild
12-29-2011, 3:42 PM
Reload? Really? In what SHTF scenario would you want to bother with it?

If Bug in, No issues.

Bug out? You plan to carry powder, primers, dies, etc with you? As opposed to two ammo cans full of ammo?

Might want to think this through a little more...

It would be more like 10 ammo cans full of ammo. I can put 2500 308 projectiles in one coffee can or more than 5k 223. In one ammo can I could have 308, 223 and 45 projectiles near 15k of projectiles. I could also load for neighbors as a barter. The town where Im going will be sealed off and barter areas setup.

I think its a good idea to have a basic loader. Yes it is better than 2 cans of ammo.

Hunt
12-29-2011, 4:52 PM
wilson hand dies w/mallot and or arbor press and the Lee hand press for full length sizing

cudakidd
12-29-2011, 5:22 PM
I reload as well. Cast too. I reload, shotgun, rifle, pistol, even play with Percussion and muzzle loaders. Its a controlled process where quality control and attention to detail is a must, I just don't see that happening in the stress of some Bug Out scenario.

I can't imagine any bug out scenario where I would want to carry components with me and then have to scrounge for brass to boot. And with rifle brass, neck sizing, primer pocket reaming, trimming etc!

I have lee pocket loaders as fun toys, not for serious reloading. If I had to resort to them, loading one round at time, means I either have waaaay too much time on my hands or things are way worse then any scenario I can imagine!~

But feel free to Walter Mitty away! Something to do I guess...

Tanner68
12-29-2011, 6:02 PM
Lee Classic Loader Kit

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lee-Classic-Loader-Kit/733635.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3FN%3D0%26Ntk%3 DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dlee%2Breloading%2Bpress%26WT. z_mc_id1%3D43000000117935444%26pcrid%3D%26WT.srch% 3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%26WT.mc_id%3Dbing%7Csho_Reload ing_Presses%2BDies%7CUSA%26rid%3D20&Ntt=lee+reloading+press&WTz_l=PPC

Those things rock! So damn simple. And I have used them to make great rounds for my .243.

Tanner68
12-29-2011, 6:03 PM
This is my favorite video for the Lee Classic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZyabc

problemchild
12-29-2011, 6:18 PM
This is my favorite video for the Lee Classic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZyabc

Dang thats hot. It would fit in your back pocket too.

problemchild
12-29-2011, 6:20 PM
I agree not a bug out but a BOL is what Im talking about. I think Im going to just ship the items to the mountain cabin for safe storage when and if I arrive. But these items would be for after arrival and long term not on the way or in a firefight.

I reload as well. Cast too. I reload, shotgun, rifle, pistol, even play with Percussion and muzzle loaders. Its a controlled process where quality control and attention to detail is a must, I just don't see that happening in the stress of some Bug Out scenario.

I can't imagine any bug out scenario where I would want to carry components with me and then have to scrounge for brass to boot. And with rifle brass, neck sizing, primer pocket reaming, trimming etc!

I have lee pocket loaders as fun toys, not for serious reloading. If I had to resort to them, loading one round at time, means I either have waaaay too much time on my hands or things are way worse then any scenario I can imagine!~

But feel free to Walter Mitty away! Something to do I guess...

echo1
12-29-2011, 7:01 PM
My take on the whole reloading post SHTF vs lots of store bought ammo is this: You should know how to do it, just because you should. But ultimately the components will be exausted, and before going the bows and arrow route, you could be making black powder and minnies as well. It's hard to make some rounds cheaper than you can buy. I still have $1.50 boxes of X39 and cheap NATO, X54R 1K is currently $200 delivered to Kali. PAX

Scout2Diesel
12-29-2011, 7:06 PM
Great idea PC. Easy to wrap my mind around if I am looking from not being dependent on others.

If you had some loaded 223 and no loaded 308 but bullets... this would make it easy to re-roll your own 308. Which I would much rather have:43:

You may never need to but what do I know?

EmptySkuLL
01-02-2012, 9:57 PM
I kinda like the lee hand press, takes standard dies... It also doesnt make as much friggin noise as the Lee (oldschool) Loaders mentioned above, with all the pounding and punching (not very stealth, if youre trying to keep a low profile).

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Breech-Lock-Hand-Press.html

I figure with one of these things and some older spare dies that I have rolling around I can put together a minimalist reloading kit for a Bugout location or even for use out at the range for testing & adjusting powder loads.

A buddy of mine used to have one of these things and always took it out with him when we went camping. He used a Lee powder "dipper" measuring scoop kit for out in the field. http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Powder-Measure-Kit.html Its definately not as exact as a scale, but if you weigh the powder for the various scoops that are contained in the kit when you are at home and make a cheat sheet, you can get a fairly good idea what your particular powder brand will measure out and weigh on each of the scoops when out in the field. Not good enough for match loads, but satisfactory for paper punching or SHTF defense & survival loads.

It was a kinda cool time killer making up loads while sitting around the campfire b.s.ing and relaxing for the night, its also a great way to get the "ammo whores / leeches" to slow down when shooting YOUR stuff, they definately think twice about wasting ammo and rapid firing when they have to do some work to shoot...

ireload
01-03-2012, 4:29 AM
You can't go wrong with Lee hand press and even the Lyman hand press. I use to keep all of my reloading tools in a plastic tool box minus the powder, brass, primer, and bullets back when I first started reloading. In fact I still have the Lee hand press laying around somewhere.

With the powder dipper scoops a decent charge. I would go with the dipper set that has a powder chart slidder so there's flexibility.