PDA

View Full Version : Off Roster Transfer to personal Collection

191145ACP
12-29-2011, 12:28 PM
01 FFL holder, I have an off roster Colt Python I would like to transfer to my personal collection. Possible?

kemasa
12-29-2011, 1:54 PM
Define possible. You can convert it to single action. You can become a LEO and be exempt. You can move out of CA and then transfer it to yourself. You can sell it to a LEO and then later it can be transferred back to you as a PPT.

So it is possible, but as a FFL you are not exempt. You can keep it in inventory and test it to make sure that it works every now and then. For some reason I thought I recalled that FFLs were exempt, but then could not find it again, perhaps it was just a dream.

SEABUG32
01-03-2012, 8:16 PM
YEP!

wildhawker
01-03-2012, 9:20 PM
FFLs are not personally Roster exempt. DOJ will find this in an audit, and it will get warrants to confiscate the firearms.

-Brandon

JagerTroop
01-03-2012, 11:06 PM
01 FFL holder, I have an off roster Colt Python I would like to transfer to my personal collection. Possible?

about $200 in fees and a drive to PRK Arms will solve all of your problems.

Santa Cruz Armory
01-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Define possible. You can convert it to single action. You can become a LEO and be exempt. You can move out of CA and then transfer it to yourself. You can sell it to a LEO and then later it can be transferred back to you as a PPT.

So it is possible, but as a FFL you are not exempt. You can keep it in inventory and test it to make sure that it works every now and then. For some reason I thought I recalled that FFLs were exempt, but then could not find it again, perhaps it was just a dream.

^^^ This and this.^^^

How did you get it in your inventory?

darkest2000
01-04-2012, 12:36 AM
you can do that if you've had it for a year or more.

tenpercentfirearms
01-04-2012, 8:06 AM
you can do that if you've had it for a year or more.

You can do what? An 01 FFL with no other exemptions cannot DROS a non-roster gun into his own personal collection at any time. You or the firearm are either roster exempt or you cannot DROS it. Period.

If you bring a firearm into your own personal collection without using a 4473, you cannot face to face (not PPT) transaction it until you have had it in your collection for over a year. If you bring it into your personal collection using a 4473 or transfer it over to someone else using a 4473, then you do not have to wait the year. Really, this mainly applies to out of state FFLs where face to face transactions are permissible and not to us here in CA who have to do nearly everything PPT (so don't bring a long gun into your personal collection and give it to your parents. You are still 10 day wait exempt and can put it on a 4473 without a DROS and then give it to them).

Cyphre
01-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Sort of curious myself. Couldn't you convert it, then convert it back just as any other SSE? Not really seeing the hiccup if the handgun resides in a personal collection and not subject to any sort of inspection from a random audit.

EBR Works
01-04-2012, 12:32 PM
That is the point. You can do a SSE conversion and then transfer to yourself. You just cannot do the transfer without the SSE conversion.

Cyphre
01-04-2012, 1:17 PM
To legally convert a handgun to single shot, does it require an 07?

EBR Works
01-04-2012, 1:28 PM
To legally convert a handgun to single shot, does it require an 07?

Nope, an 01 can do it by just installing a drop in kit.

curvejunkie
01-05-2012, 3:41 PM
So if I have a customer come in, and put on consignment or sold me a off roster pistol, I cannot purchase it for myself?

Or would all the back and forth above be only on NEW handguns?

EBR Works
01-05-2012, 3:50 PM
Nope, unless you do SSE or SA conversion on it.

Alternatively, you could just do a PPT with the customer to your personal collection.

kemasa
01-05-2012, 4:00 PM
So if I have a customer come in, and put on consignment or sold me a off roster pistol, I cannot purchase it for myself?

You can purchase it for yourself, but you need to do it as you would for any other non-exempt customer, meaning that it would be a PPT to yourself. You would not need to fill out the 4473, depending on how you have your license.

curvejunkie
01-05-2012, 4:17 PM
You can purchase it for yourself, but you need to do it as you would for any other non-exempt customer, meaning that it would be a PPT to yourself. You would not need to fill out the 4473, depending on how you have your license.

Ok, so I would then just PPT it to me, got it. That is what I thought, thank you for the input.

curvejunkie
01-05-2012, 4:19 PM
Nope, unless you do SSE or SA conversion on it.

Alternatively, you could just do a PPT with the customer to your personal collection.

Just so I have this clear, a shop cannot "buy" or take on consignment a off roster pistol from a private party and resell it to a non exempt person?

I think I understand now,

Shop takes in pistol from customer off roster.
Shop can only sell that pistol to exempt party.
Shop owner cannot sell it to himself, but would have to do a ppt between customer and self.

Correct?

kemasa
01-05-2012, 5:05 PM
A shop can take on consignment an off roster handgun and sell it to a non-exempt person by processing it as a PPT, but the shop can not buy it for inventory and then sell it to a non-exempt person.

curvejunkie
01-05-2012, 5:12 PM
A shop can take on consignment an off roster handgun and sell it to a non-exempt person by processing it as a PPT, but the shop can not buy it for inventory and then sell it to a non-exempt person.

Thank you. That is what I figured. Much appreciated.