PDA

View Full Version : Question about drinking at home with a Home-FFL.

cody205
12-29-2011, 12:54 AM
I was just curious. I understand that if you have an FFL, The ATF can come and search your "premises" at any time, without warning. If you have a home-based FFL, this means they can come knocking on your door at any time. Are they only allowed to come during your "hours of business?" Or can they come at absolutely anytime, whatsoever? What happens if you are at home, drinking, and are intoxicated when they come knocking? :eek::confused:

MontClaire
12-29-2011, 12:57 AM
They'll have vodka with you and smoke marlboro. ;)

tenpercentfirearms
12-29-2011, 5:32 AM
They actually come during business hours. If they show up and you are not open, ask them to come back later. If you don't have a peep hole on your door and answer your door to strangers, you might want to rectify that.

Usually with home based FFLs they call ahead of time in order to avoid coming by an empty house. They time is valuable and limited so this idea that they are going to come by at midnight for an inspection is pretty much exaggerated.

And you can always say, "I am pretty wasted right now, can you come back later?" Again, they are not going to come unannounced anyway so try not to drink heavily before you audit and wait until afterwards.

Bobshouse
12-29-2011, 3:55 PM
A friend has a home based FFL, to prevent them from searching your entire home, have a room designated for business, preferably with a exterior entrance...keep them out of your private zone.

Oh, and as far as drinking, no problem as long as your not handling firearms...several gun clubs I know sell beer....for after shooting get togethers.