View Full Version : Coyotes in Nor Cal

03-11-2007, 7:58 AM
I'm moving back home finally, PCS'ing to Beale AFB, and I'm gonna start Coyote hunting. Anyone with some good coyote hunting experiences, stories and/or pictures?

Also, any opinion on varmint type rifles for coyote hunting? Has anyone taken out a good twelve pounder and just found it too heavy? I'm considering barrel profile for my AR.

03-11-2007, 3:00 PM
My AR coyote gun has a 20" bull barrel cut down from a 24". It's not too bad but I might flute the barrel later on to shave off a little more weight. I originally planned on using a free floated heavy barrel profile but couldn't get one in time so I opted for the bull. The weight of the bull barrel does reduce recoil some if you need quick follow up shots.

I also just bought a Tikka T3 Light 22-250 that I took out for the first time on Saturday. A nice lightweight gun if you are going to be walking a lot. She got her first coyote on my first stand that day! I have a pic on my phone I'll try and post later.

So I have a heavy gun and a light gun but the heavy gun is in NO WAY too heavy to carry around so the choice is yours.

03-12-2007, 8:20 PM
I used to use a SKS for coyotes but I recently started to use a 30-06. a 308 is a good round also. One of my buddies uses a Mosin and he takes them down pretty well. We usually shoot at about 150-300 yards. I usually scout around and look for watering holes and scat. Sometimes I find a den and I jsut park it a hill over or so and then wait them out

03-14-2007, 10:09 PM
I saw a fat coyote yesterday in Saratoga. I woulda popped it but I didn't have my rifle....I was in city limits....and I was at a customers house.... :eek:

03-14-2007, 11:55 PM
you guys should come to goleta. we have packs of those damn things running every where. At night at least 5-6 come up my street barking and howling killing everyones pets.