PDA

View Full Version : Handgun safe for Bedroom choices?

Spunger1
12-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Hey guys. I just got my Glock 17 and wanted to keep it in the bedroom but in a locked type of safe. I was looking at the smallish stack on and gunvault safes that are basically sub $75. Just looking to see what you guys recommend and use for small safes that you'd keep in the bedroom for home defense.

I have no children yet but I'm my wife is due in June. Of course now I'm thinking how can I make everything as safe as possible now. I'm in the market at some point for a regular safe to place in the house or garage but would still like to keep one handgun within my reach near the bed for obvious reasons.

Any ideas or help would be great!

myblunt
12-28-2011, 10:47 PM
i just got this. *shrugs*. Amazon.com - Gunvault (http://goo.gl/xF6Eh)
its better than nothing. especially with kids.
If you're curious i'll let you know how it turns out its showing up in the mail tomorrow.

monk
12-28-2011, 10:51 PM
I have that same safe in my drawer. It's decent enough for the price. I have an XD9 with a tac light, extra magazine, and 2 20rd boxes of JHP. Fits nice and snug.

Spunger1
12-28-2011, 10:57 PM
I was looking at those too. If they are decent I don't mind paying a little more for the added security and ease of use. That's all I need to fit is my Glock 17 and an extra mag. I have a TLR-1S on it already so no need for a light. I liked the added size of those gunvaults.

POLICESTATE
12-28-2011, 11:08 PM
I have a single-gun Gun Vault safe. The non-biometric one that you use a key or the 4 button panel.

It's good. You can mount it in various places if you want, or not. Very foamy and comfy inside for your gun. The battery compartment takes some getting used to. The first time is was a complete PITA, as of the 3rd time changing batteries it's pretty easy to do, it's all about the angle of approach to screwing it back into place.

The code stuff is cool, you use a 4 "digit" code, but you can press more than one button at the same time for that 'digit'. For instance you can press 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 and that would be your code. I like this because it makes it less likely for kids to button mash the correct code in.

In retrospect I wish I'd gotten the 2-gun model, even though it's more expensive I could use that extra space.

voiceofreason
12-28-2011, 11:56 PM
If you already have a locking file cabinet that uses a key, that would be fine.

I would invest a little bit more and get an 8-gun gun cabinet that would fit long guns like shotgun, .22 rifle, precision rifle, etc.

You can put handguns in it (use cardboard boxes as shelving and add other valuables in it if you don't put long guns in it).

Likely in the future, you will invest in some type of long gun.

Alternatively, you can purchase a FIREPROOF safe or FIREPROOF container for files. You need to measure it, but will likely be able to keep important documents on DVD & paper in it as well as your gun.

Security comes in different forms. Having some fire protection for important documents is part of that in my opinion. As is scanning all important documents and having them on DVD at trusted people's houses not on my property. Out of state is good too.

I agree and like the Streamlight TLR-1 (basic, cheapest one, just a light, simple) mounted on a gun with a rail as well. Very good light for a great price. Glocks will take the contour remote, which allows you to use a pressure switch located where the middle finger grips the gun.

Currently only available for Glock, but should be available for M&P in about 6 months.

Allows for 1 handed usage of the light. Also allows short fingered people to activate the light as the rocker switch on any light is usually pretty far forward from most shooting grips.

voiceofreason
12-29-2011, 12:01 AM
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/62258-1.html

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/62260-1.html
if you travel, and I like the combination lock on this one (a teenager WILL be able to defeat the combination given enough time)

MidwayUSA might carry them as well.

I feel these are only good if you:

1. don't already have a locking filing cabinet
2. plan to travel with it in a car or flying regularly
3. are really cheap, and like the small size/easy to hide

otherwise, I'd go with the fireproof option or for about $99 on sale, get a tall gun cabinet that fits long guns as well. You can secure other items in it. Not a real safe by any means, but will deter your run of the mill grab 'n go burglars.

If they come after/into your gun safe, they knew in advance what was there.

anyracoon
12-29-2011, 5:00 AM
I have had a biometric hand gun safe attached to the side rail of my bed. I do test it out every couple of weeks to make sure it works.

jemrey81
12-29-2011, 1:58 PM
I have this one:
Gunvault 2 gun deluxe (http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-GV2000C-DLX-Multi-Vault-Deluxe/dp/B000O8VUR0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1325199021&sr=8-9)

It was a gift and I couldn't have been happier to get it. I had all the different gunvaults on my "wishlist" and they chose to get this one for me.... I have to say that the extra space has come in real handy. The top shelf has some jewelry and ammo and the bottom has my loaded XD9 and an extra loaded mag. The "deluxe" model has a light that comes on when you open it and a motion sensitive alarm that can be set.

It's great quality and very quick to access your gun when you need it... I am sure the smaller ones are just as great.

myblunt
12-29-2011, 10:37 PM
so question for all the gunvault owners, have you had any issues? seems to be handful of people who are disgruntled with their gunvault product... I'm curious. I just received mine and it looks to be pretty of pretty solid construction. Put some Duracell batteries in it, works like a charm, easy to program.

i suppose you know you're in trouble if you break in and hear 'beep..beep...beep...beep-ka-Thwack'... mmmmm... root beer...

6E83nKbaZAU

myblunt
12-29-2011, 10:38 PM
I have had a biometric hand gun safe attached to the side rail of my bed. I do test it out every couple of weeks to make sure it works.

that biometrics stuff work pretty good?

jemrey81
12-30-2011, 8:43 AM
so question for all the gunvault owners, have you had any issues? seems to be handful of people who are disgruntled with their gunvault product... I'm curious.

I have only had mine for a month or so.... no issues so far - and I like to "practice" a few times a day :facepalm:

1st5
12-30-2011, 8:49 AM
I have a gun vault and a small stack on. I like the gun vault better. It holds my wife's handgun since it's easier for her to use.

monk
12-30-2011, 10:31 AM
The only "issue" I have is that the buttons are a bit too low & hard so I really have to press to make sure i goes thru. Nothing major, just a little annoyance. Other than that, I don't like that there are vents on either side of the safe.

Old4eyes
01-01-2012, 12:07 PM
I went with the DAC Sportsafe, it's very similar to the Gunvault boxes (non biometric).

It's a few bucks cheaper even when you take into account it does not include a backup external power supply - ebay fixes that.

In this instance, cheaper helped my situation, I have a his and hers box. The internal battery holder is cheesy, but it does work, you just have to be cautious with it.

I built shelves that bolted to the wall and placed them above the night stands, and then bolted the boxes onto these shelves just to improve the odds of theft reduction.

Whichever box you do get, make sure it has a mechanical key override. If you forget the combo, you fumble entering the combo and the box locks you out or if the batteries die or if the electronics fail, you can still get into the box. Just make a good hiding spot for that key.

ChopperX
01-01-2012, 12:52 PM
I have a GunVault Multi and I love it.

talist
01-01-2012, 2:34 PM
I was looking for a similar safe last year. I ended up buying the Fort Knox Pistol safe.

http://www.ftknox.com/redesign/pistolboxes/

It's heavy, fits in dresser drawers, and can be bolted down. It uses a mechanical lock, which has always opened when asked of it.

Craig

monk
01-01-2012, 4:02 PM
I've seen some videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/inbox485/videos) where dissipating a static discharge into the gunvault causes not only your current password to become invalid, but resets the password to the default. This a problem for two reasons - imagine if you need to access the contents quickly, but your password doesn't work. Also, if somebody trying to steal the contents knows about this issue, then it's pretty darn easy to open one up even if you don't know the password.

I would like to buy a Gun Vault and I've contacted their customer support numerous times to try to get an answer if this issue has been fully resolved or not, and they haven't been able to answer that question, which leaves me very worried. Can somebody who owns one try a test like in the videos to see if your password resets? I'm under the impression it happens in certain circumstances (depending on whether or not the unit is plugged in, what type of surface it's on, etc.).

I have one of the newer models. I know previous generations of the vault would loose the combo when you changed batteries.

I'll let you know how this works. BTW, someone owes me a beer because static electricity sucks donkey *****.

EDIT:

I just realized that you're looking at getting the multi gun vault. I have the single vault that only relies on batteries or a key. I avoided the one that can be plugged in.

heyjerr
01-02-2012, 10:19 AM
I have the mini vault (non-bio)and am NOT pleased with it. The combo I like calls for a double tap of a button, but even though I am very deliberate in taking my time I still get failures to open on the first (vital) attempt and even subsequent ones. Luckily it's not my primary defense gun but I should see about trying a different combo...I'd just rather it wasn't different from what I have elsewhere in the house.

Cnynrat
01-02-2012, 10:35 AM
You might want to check out the Titan Gun Vault (http://www.titangunvault.com/). We have two, and like them very much.

http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox/data/82/Titan-Gun-Vault.jpg

heyjerr
01-02-2012, 1:29 PM
As compared with my previous post, I also do happen to have an older Titan vault. It doesn't have the holster feature but it is purely mechanical and has never failed me. It's not fireproof, but neither is the gunvault, and I have been very happy with it.