PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a good outdoor rifle range "close" to Long Beach, CA?

Andrew LB
03-10-2007, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure if this is where such a thread should be posted, so I apologize in advance if I'm in error....

Until a year ago, I was a frequent shooter at San Gabriel Valley Gun Club and as most of you know, the range was shut down for a multitude of typical Kalifornia reasons such as that housing development that the neighboring city and developer constructed all knowing there was a shooting range nearby and as usual, in typical Kalifornia fashion, another great range was forced to close down. (one of many reasons I'm sure). Before that my father taught me to shoot at South Coast Gun Club but that range is LONG gone.

I'm in the Long Beach/Seal Beach area and am looking for a new outdoor range where I can get back into shooting my rifles and if possible, various types of clays. I didn't have an issue with the 35 minute or so drive to San Gabriel Valley Gun Club during the non traffic hours and am willing to drive a little further if needed to get outdoors and get back into practice with my Win .270 Model 70 featherweight, Win Model '94 30-30, and my collection of various .22 cal rifles. I'd love it if there was a range that had at least 100 yards (for the latter of those listed above) and farther distances for my .270. (i used to typically shoot at the 200 yard line @ SGVGC with it).

The last time I shot my long rifles was out off the 330 where a ranger recommended I go but after a long day of climbing up and down through steep hills, sage bushes, and avoiding rattle snakes.... (and the rare yet scary ricochet that zinged inches from my head...) and needing an SUV which i had to borrow... i figured a regulated range would be best and closer.

So if anyone has any recommendations on if there are any outdoor ranges which are hopefully not 'too' far away, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
-Andrew

Prc329
03-11-2007, 12:19 AM
Well, pretty much your only real choices are Angeles and Burro Canyon. I'm in LB as well and unless someone knows of a closer range I usually end up making the 45 minute to 90 minute (with traffic) drive to Angeles.

Indoor Range, Insight is a good place to take that XD for a spin.

Andrew LB
03-11-2007, 1:12 AM
For indoor i go to sharpshooters. Its close and i like the spot.

Prc329
03-11-2007, 9:28 AM
I've been thinking of trying sharpshooters but I always thought insight was closer. I'm near the 405 and 710, insight is pioneer and the 91.

Heavy_Grinder
03-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Insight, is that the range right off the 91?

As for an outdoor range, I can only think of angeles. That one is way out in the boondocks.

Andrew LB
03-11-2007, 11:27 AM
I've been thinking of trying sharpshooters but I always thought insight was closer. I'm near the 405 and 710, insight is pioneer and the 91.

I've always liked sharp shooters since the first day I walked in the door. Friendly people, lots of patrons who actually know gun safety.... I can't tell you how many times I've had the barrel of an 'loaded or unloaded' handgun "brushed by me"..... IT'S ALWAYS LOADED!!!!! They've also got great classes for those of you who want to brush up on everything from the bare basics to advanced shooters classes. It's also very reasonably priced (fees, ammo, new/used guns).

I'm right at the base of the 605 and 405 freeways and don't mind the drive to Torrance at all since i'm in LA quite often.

6mmAI
03-11-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm not sure if this is where such a thread should be posted, so I apologize in advance if I'm in error....

So if anyone has any recommendations on if there are any outdoor ranges which are hopefully not 'too' far away, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
-Andrew

Wes Thompsons Piru Rifle Range. (Piru, CA)

Its only another 30 minutes up the 5 then to the 126 from Angeles.
$11.00 all day, you get 2 paper targets included for 100 yards.
Additional paper targets are $1.00
Paper Target backers are at 100,200, 300, 400 yards
Steel plates from 100,200,300,400, 500, 600 and 700. If you can hit the 8 inch swingers at 700 you get to move to 1000 yard steel gong.
Also has pistol range on site.

Andrew LB
03-11-2007, 1:20 PM
^^ Great info! Thank you! THey have some SERIOUS yardage out at that range! Perhaps it's time to get the Springfield M1A National Match i've always wanted.

My .270 Winchester Featherweight is right on point at 200 yards like i'd shoot at San Gabriel.... but i doubt it has the juice to get much farther without a spotter considering my Leupold scope isn't a high magnification one. :)

I'm going to try and make it out there one day next week.

soopafly
03-12-2007, 8:39 AM
I like Burro Canyon during the weekday the best. Too bad I can't do that too often.