PDA

View Full Version : sks help please

David002
03-10-2007, 5:43 PM
so i took my sks out and shot it for the first time. it would not rechamber another round :confused: is there any reason it would do this? :o

Thanks.

superhondaz50
03-10-2007, 5:47 PM
What kind of magazine is in the gun?

blacklisted
03-10-2007, 5:51 PM
Perhaps the gas port is set to "Grenade".

bob bomb
03-10-2007, 5:52 PM
I know that the Yugo SKS's have a gas cut off value on the gas piston portion of the rifle. If it is switched off the gun will not cycle.:confused:

David002
03-10-2007, 5:54 PM
ohhh where is this switch?

metalhead357
03-10-2007, 5:57 PM
Were you out of ammo???????:p

Seriously,
Explain what happened a little more; did the round not come up, not go in all the way?

David002
03-10-2007, 5:58 PM
would fire, but then i'd have to rack it to get the case out and rechamber another round.

!@#$
03-10-2007, 5:58 PM
is this a yugo sks?

if it is chances are the gas system has pitting and is leaking gas.

how well did you clean the rifle?
we need more info on your rifle.

David002
03-10-2007, 5:59 PM
yea its a yugo, turners special :D i got all the cosmoline off when i cleaned it, was a PITA lol

wildcard
03-10-2007, 6:08 PM
The little button on top of barrel right about where the top/end of the grenade launcher sight lies should be set to side and not the top. Try that.

David002
03-10-2007, 6:16 PM
awesome, thanks for all the help guys. sadly i wont be able to tell ya how it went till my next range trip :(

VeryCoolCat
03-10-2007, 6:23 PM
awesome, thanks for all the help guys. sadly i wont be able to tell ya how it went till my next range trip :(

Well I'm betting its the grenade launcher switch, but there is a chance the gas tube might be bad. Those can be easily replaced. You get what you pay for. You did clean the cosmoline off of all the inside parts correct?

David002
03-10-2007, 8:00 PM
Well I'm betting its the grenade launcher switch, but there is a chance the gas tube might be bad. Those can be easily replaced. You get what you pay for. You did clean the cosmoline off of all the inside parts correct?

yea, it was not fun :p

ZapThyCat
03-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Why does this happen to Yugos and not other sks's?

Mssr. Eleganté
03-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Why does this happen to Yugos and not other sks's?

Because other SKS's don't have built in grenade launchers and gas cut-off's like the M59/66's do.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/lastgreatsks/graphics/l/8.jpg
From SurplusRifle.com

thefurball
03-11-2007, 6:11 AM
I was under the impression that the built in grenade launcher was considered a DD here in the PRK... not the grenade mind you, just the launcher.

kermit
03-11-2007, 6:23 AM
In California, the grenade launcher attachment must be either removed or enclosed with a metal sleeve that is welded to the barrel.

xdimitrix
03-11-2007, 8:42 AM
David you should have a pretty good idea without going to the range again. Go look at your gun and see which mode its on. If its on grenade mode then there's a good chance that's the problem, and vice versa.

tenpercentfirearms
04-07-2007, 7:13 PM
I sold a Yugo to a friend and we went out today and had the same problem. The thing was a single shot all day long. At first the Wolf ammo was sticking pretty bad in the chamber, but as we kept shooting the ammo stopped sticking and basically it was acting like a single shot. I took the whole thing apart and cleaned it out real good and made sure I could get part of a .22 LR box rolled up through the gas port to make sure it wasn't blocked. Still, single shot the whole time.

Of course I know about the gas shut off so it wasn't that. As I watched my friend shoot it, I noticed the bolt would come back a half an inch or so, but it wouldn't go the whole way. Is there a gas leak somehwere?

I wish I hadn't told him it was a semi-auto. I could have just told him he had to pull it back every time to load a new round! This was his first rifle and now I have to make things right. What should I replace?

I am going to go give it a thorough cleaning. I did notice the gas blocker looked awfully pitted.

stevied
04-07-2007, 7:40 PM
turn the gas valve to the right

blacklisted
04-07-2007, 7:57 PM
When I shot mine for the first time, I had the button to the right, but not all the way. It clicks in to place when it is in the proper position.

Res
04-07-2007, 9:25 PM
Is the switch supposed to be easy going from semi auto to single shot mode? I can slide the button to the left, so that is is straight up, but i cannot get it to slide down in slot closest to you.. Not that it's a really big deal because the gun shoots flawless. But i would like to know if its supposed to be a pain to drop it down in that slot.

TheMan
04-07-2007, 9:28 PM
I wish I hadn't told him it was a semi-auto. I could have just told him he had to pull it back every time to load a new round! This was his first rifle and now I have to make things right. What should I replace?

I am going to go give it a thorough cleaning. I did notice the gas blocker looked awfully pitted.

Apparently it is pretty common that you have to replace the seals on the gas block off, and sometimes the valve itself. A good source for fixing these is the SKS boards, here is one thread on fixing it:

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=4191.0

There is a guy who sells a replacement valve as well.

And there is also info on Surplus Rifle:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/yugosksvalve/index.asp

KenpoProfessor
04-07-2007, 9:45 PM
I sold a Yugo to a friend and we went out today and had the same problem. The thing was a single shot all day long. At first the Wolf ammo was sticking pretty bad in the chamber, but as we kept shooting the ammo stopped sticking and basically it was acting like a single shot. I took the whole thing apart and cleaned it out real good and made sure I could get part of a .22 LR box rolled up through the gas port to make sure it wasn't blocked. Still, single shot the whole time.

Of course I know about the gas shut off so it wasn't that. As I watched my friend shoot it, I noticed the bolt would come back a half an inch or so, but it wouldn't go the whole way. Is there a gas leak somehwere?

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/yugosksvalve/index.asp

Hey Wes, this should explain the procedure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-oversized-gas-valve-yugo-SKS-m-59-66_W0QQitemZ150108446231QQihZ005QQcategoryZ73952QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And this is one place you can get them.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

tenpercentfirearms
04-07-2007, 9:54 PM
Your name is quite appropriate. You are TheMan! I just ordered a new gas valve from http://cgi.ebay.com/New-oversized-gas-valve-yugo-SKS-m-59-66_W0QQitemZ150108446231QQihZ005QQcategoryZ73952QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem . I will let you guys know if it works.

LOL. Kenpo I had already found it and ordered it by the time you and I posted. Great minds think alike. Thanks everyone.

KenpoProfessor
04-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Your name is quite appropriate. You are TheMan! I just ordered a new gas valve from http://cgi.ebay.com/New-oversized-gas-valve-yugo-SKS-m-59-66_W0QQitemZ150108446231QQihZ005QQcategoryZ73952QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem . I will let you guys know if it works.

LOL. Kenpo I had already found it and ordered it by the time you and I posted. Great minds think alike. Thanks everyone.

Dude, I got 8 Yugo 59/66's, I was bound to have this problem, but I don't anymore :D . I had to change out the gas valve on three of mine, but I ordered some extra ones just in case. I've got two in the gun drawer for when the need arises.;)

OH yea, I see you only bought 1, cuz they had 7 when I checked and after your post 6. Get some extras, make a little markup and sell them, they get cheaper the more you buy.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

virulosity
04-07-2007, 11:04 PM
I had this same problem and a new gas valve didn't fix the problem. I made a gasket to seal around the valve out of a paperclip and it fires flawlessly now. If you want to try this fix check out survivors sks boards.