PDA

View Full Version : Options for the muzzel?

billym
03-10-2007, 1:39 PM
I just picked up a Stag H4 upper and it has the flash suppressor on it (I am running a Prince 50 maglock).
What are the best options to replace it? Should I just keep it as is if I am running a non detachable mag?

Is there an aftermarket "thread cover" for the end to replace the flash hider / muzzel brake option and leave the end plain?

M. Sage
03-10-2007, 2:07 PM
If you've got a fixed mag, there's no reason to take the flash hider off.

Teletiger7
03-10-2007, 2:08 PM
if you go with gripless monster man build then you can take off flash hider and replace with a muzzle brake or thread cover.

bwiese
03-10-2007, 2:33 PM
Most folks really don't need a flash hider, frankly. For OLL builds, not having a flash hider on your upper gives you more flexibility.

There are fake flash hiders ("muzzle attachments"), muzzle brakes, and thread protectors you can use.

billym
03-10-2007, 3:07 PM
I have not seen thread covers for sale. Where is a source?

Is a Stag Comp a decent muzzel brake?

I would just assume remove the flash hider for now.

10TH AMENDMENT
03-10-2007, 5:22 PM
These will do ya:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=469030

http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/ProductLine2.cfm?brand=Schuster&page=acc

RossRinSD
03-10-2007, 5:43 PM

The stag brake is a tempting item because of the price. But, I was a little dissappointed when I got mine. I haven't shot it yet so I couldn't tell you how it shoots or sounds.

I really like the looks of the RRA tactical brake. Just remember, the price of the damn thing only matters before you buy it.

Dont Tread on Me
03-10-2007, 6:06 PM
The flash supressor is the hardest AW part to take on and off. It seams to requires clamps, crush nuts, and some idea about what you are doing. I had a gunsmith replace mine with a muzzel break and I'm very happy with the flat shooting rifle. No muzzel climb at all. Reeds Indoor range did this for me for next to nothing as I ordered the break from them.

The stock, pistol grip, and mag release are all really easy to swap out. I can go from a MM configuration to a fixed mag pistol grip with a collapsable stock inside of 5 mins. I never do this as for me the MM grips is the optimal configuration.

bobfried
03-10-2007, 6:54 PM
The flash supressor is the hardest AW part to take on and off.

Actually it is probably the easiest to take off; if you have one very specific tool. I learned the hard way after attempting to use all types of tools, clamps and all sort of stupid thing to loosen one up. I talked to the lead assembler at LMT and he said he hears the story all the time and the solution is cheap, easy to obtain and makes your life heck of alot easier.

3/4 INCH open crescent wrench, any make

Yeah, I couldn't believe it either, something so simple and easy to get. I went to the local Kragen and scored a $4 cheapo and it has worked on every single FH/MB or any other type of muzzle device built to spec since than. I have used it one a dozen upper and at least 5 times that many muzzle devices.

As for an effective muzzle brake, I can only recommend one: The Troy Midieval

I have used quite a few types and it is by far the most effective. I say this from the perspective of a shooter, not a pure competitor. There are many more effective and better muzzle brake than the Troy (the PRI for one) but all of them are LOUD. And when I say loud, I mean it hurst your teeth loud. Almost any truly effective muzzle brake will be super loud. The Troy is the best I have found, while it does not reduce muzzle rise as some others, it is as quiet as an A2 FH and that is a blessing. If you like shooting and like people to shoot with you the Troy is the only way to go for a quiet muzzle brake that's fairly cheap and did I mention UBER-COOL?

Next to that I would recommend the YHM MB as it is also quite effective and being only a tad louder.

Prc329
03-10-2007, 7:08 PM

The stag comp is very loud. I shot mine one time, took it off and replaced it with a spike's tactical fake can. It was so loud a couple of guys at the range thought I was shooting something a lot bigger then a 223. The pulse that thing throws to the side is crazy.