PDA

View Full Version : Well, I Kinda Bought a CZ, But...

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck
03-10-2007, 2:05 PM
I went to buy my long-desired CZ-75B today, and things didn't go so smoothly. I breezed through the HSC test, but when it came to the registration, things went to flinders. :(

Despite the DOJ clearly stating in its published information that the proof-of-residency has to match the Driver's License/ID Card OR the address listed on the DROS, the dealer informed me that sometimes (pretty often) discrepancies between the two addresses result in a denial of the registration:mad: . Since my ID card lists my home address, and the utility bill lists my school address, I'm stuck until I can go to the DMV and change my address on the card over to my school address.

Has anyone actually experienced this problem with a discrepancy between addresses?

According to the dealer, there was a customer who was a retired serviceman. However, the power-mongering DOJ nutjob denied his registration because the military ID didn't say "Honorably Discharged," despite the fact that no military ID apparently says so explicitly. Anyways, the owner of the shop is close to Lockyer, and the issue was resolved. However, I was advised not to buy since if it was denied, I'd have to pay a $105 restocking fee:eek: .

So, I put a down payment on the CZ, and now have to make a bunch of trips, including a second time to the dealer to do the DROS, and complete my payment. Then I have to wait my 10 days and then make the long trek down to the dealer:mad: . I'm going to try and ask the to send the gun to their shooting range/shop which is located far closer to me.

Well, I just wanted to put this out there as a warning of sorts and to ask if anyone else had the same experience.

mike100
03-10-2007, 3:09 PM
My experience is that every FFL interprets the laws a little differently and some don't even ask for a secondary ID if your addresses match up and some like to take the car reg or other document and make a copy no matter if the adress is the same or not.

People move all the time, but it probably would help if you got a new drivers lic made up so you don't have to twice dros anything. No two gun shops are the same..I'm pretty sure most just play things on the safe side based on what they have seen before.

NeoWeird
03-10-2007, 3:19 PM
It happened to me on my first gun purchase (Ruger 10/22 back in 2003) and I know it happened to a couple other members here and on arf and all of them did the same thing.

Walk into the DMV and wait in line. Get a change of address form. Fill it out and turn it in. On the form is a little card that you put on your new address, this along with your currently valid driver's license is your new license. They will send you a reissued license in the mail with your new address on it. You can now take your currently valid driver's license and your change of address card and the address now matches up with the address on the DROS form.

I remember mine was like 6 weeks out from being reissued which I would have to change the address for anyways. So I figured why bother with the hassle. I got the card but didn't submit the form for a change of address. I got my rifle, and several weeks later renewed my license with the new address. Everything was fine.

grywlfbg
03-10-2007, 3:34 PM
Wait, what address is on your vehicle registration? If that's the same as your license, that'll qualify. That's what I'm going to use (car registration) when I pick up my CZ-75 SP-01 on Monday. Paid $500 for it from ghostholster.com and then $65 for xfer and DROS from Roger's Relics in Santa Clara.

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck
03-10-2007, 9:37 PM
No driver's license (ID card), and no vehicle registration:( .

I did the change of address online (at least that was convenient), so that should deal with the problem. Course, making the long trip to do the DROS stuff (they're just holding it for me right now, along with a big chunk of change), is a major hassle. I won't be able to head over there for a couple weeks probably, and then it's going to take 10+ days for me to make the pickup.:rolleyes: Oh the joy of being a subject of California.

Course, if DC could get their stupid law overturned, maybe we can get some of ours as well.

battlehatch
03-10-2007, 9:57 PM
I had the same problem. I went to the DMV, they gave me a little tan "change of address" card. I filled it out, they stamped it, and according to the DOJ regs, it's a valid supplement to my ID and the FFL's around here take it save for one, but I don't shop there anyway because they are d*cks.

leelaw
03-10-2007, 11:52 PM
$105 restocking fee?? WTF??

How about just a second $25 DROS fee?

The dealer's personal opinion on the matter is irrelevant - he should run the DROS and let you know if you're denied or not.

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck
03-11-2007, 12:06 AM
CalNRA,
Well, it was Reed's. To their credit, they did not deny my use of the differing addresses. Instead, the dealer warned me that discrepancies (despite the clear wording in the DOJ's published literature) in addresses SOMETIMES get denied by the DOJ potentates who review the information. Since a denied registration apparently results in no handgun and a $105 restocking fee, I was advised to get the addresses to match. So, I wouldn't rule them out on this account.

However, a few years ago when I was looking to buy a Yugo SKS, I was kinda perturbed after one of their dealers confidently "informed" me that they were no longer likely sold in California and that if I found one it'd be at a gun show, and then proceeded to try and sell me a Mini-14.

leelaw,
I was shocked at cost too. However, it's their store and their rules...

Regarding the DROS, he told me the story related above about the former serviceman. I could have risked it, but if it was denied, then according to him it'd have to be restocked.

So, I have it "held" as of right now. I don't own it outright yet, so I'll have to make another trip, but hopefully, this'll be the last of this type of problem.

LawStudent
03-11-2007, 12:03 PM
I have to agree with CalNRA

The dealer was wrong - my driver's license has my old residence as a teenager living with my parents in the Bay Area, I haven't been there is over ten years (yeah I know, I should change it, but I keep moving for schools in So. Cal.), BUT the only corrective change I needed to do for buying a handgun was place a STICKER WITH MY CURRENT ADDRESS ON BACK of my Drivers License and match that to a current utility bill. The dealer would make photocopies of all my records and the front/back of the DL. This has worked for all four of my gun purchases at four different gun stores, never a problem, never went to the DMV, always got my guns.

Sorry ya had to make an extra trip, explain to your dealer the length of your journey and ask if he can compensate you in any way for traveling so far to give him business - he should give you a discount on some accessories to keep you happy if he understands the meaning of customer service.

By the way - great pick on the CZ 75, I've had my eye on one as well.
http://www.imageseek.com/hakan/gallery/wallpaper/CIMG3374

leelaw
03-11-2007, 12:15 PM
leelaw,
I was shocked at cost too. However, it's their store and their rules...

That makes no sense. Restocking, to me, means that you were going to buy it, were denied, and you gave up and decided not to continue trying to buy it. No sense at all..

..Then again, I've never had a restocking fee at my shop, so it's Greek to me.

Inoxmark
03-11-2007, 12:38 PM
I just don't see how a discrepancy in addresses could result in DROS denial at all. Seeing that copy of proof-of-residence is simply retained by the dealer, it's not transmitted to DOJ for any approvals.

The_Fonz
03-11-2007, 1:22 PM
I was in the same sitation when i purchased my Hk USP and I was told to supply a notorized letter that said that I was a resident of San Jaoquin county (DL address), even though I go to school in Fresno. Went through just fine.

leelaw
03-11-2007, 1:32 PM
I was in the same sitation when i purchased my Hk USP and I was told to supply a notorized letter that said that I was a resident of San Jaoquin county (DL address), even though I go to school in Fresno. Went through just fine.

Still makes no sense. You just wasted some money on the notary, since the FFL retains the address verification, and does not send it to DOJ. Having the paper in their hands doesn't change what information is sent to DOJ, and thus doesn't effect the outcome of your approval/denial.

CalNRA
03-11-2007, 2:59 PM
Huh, Reed's eh? I bought a 1911 there a year and half ago and they didn't mention anything about it. Sounds like they are trying to cover their behidn with the ATF thugs breathing down the FFL's neck for discrepencies. In fact that day when they were sending in the info the CDL swipe didn't work, so they physically called the info into DOJ and no problem at all.

I might have to give those guys a call and give them a piece of my mind over this, I was gonna head down next weekend and look for a Glock 36.

edit:

looks like the DOJ just pulled a fast one on us and change the rules about the rental agreements:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/resprf.php?PHPSESSID=b8fd85e1fb1fa9fae0a93ee81a13a 70d

"# Examples of acceptable proof of residency pursuant to newly-proposed regulations:

1. DMV registrations are NOW acceptable.
2. Electricity, gas, cable bill from within the last 3 months.
3. Signed, dated and notarized rental agreement/contract."

CalNRA
03-11-2007, 3:01 PM
That makes no sense. Restocking, to me, means that you were going to buy it, were denied, and you gave up and decided not to continue trying to buy it. No sense at all..

..Then again, I've never had a restocking fee at my shop, so it's Greek to me.

what shop is yours? Contra Costa is just next county from my school, might have to drop in on you

The SoCal Gunner
03-11-2007, 6:04 PM
Thats crap if they want it notarized now. I'll just keep my DOJ handgun booklet handy which only states signed and dated rental agreement.

Last PPT I did, the FFL didn't need my change of address card. My DL had a different address than my rental agreement.

I always thought the license was just for identification and along with 'proof or residence' was just to show that you resided within the state.

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck
03-11-2007, 7:56 PM
I just don't see how a discrepancy in addresses could result in DROS denial at all. Seeing that copy of proof-of-residence is simply retained by the dealer, it's not transmitted to DOJ for any approvals.

Really, it is? I didn't know that. Sheesh, I don't know what the problem was then. My dad was right there with me when I was buying, so I could've had one of the handwritten notes people have talked about in the proof-of-residency thread.:mad:

LawStudent,

I thought he was wrong (after all, the DOJ's own words pretty clearly lay out what works and what doesn't in that case), but then again, I can easily see a DOJ official knocking some petty little issue like that around. He did say that it didn't matter what they wrote, they don't obey their own literature. Now that I found out that the DOJ doesn't even see it, I'm very confused...

I changed my address online, so I don't have a sticker or anything to attach to the back of my ID card. Would you (or anyone else) know if that might present a problem?

CalNRA,

I dunno, maybe it was only the specific dealer who was helping me out, but I'd be surprised if he deliberately was trying to prevent me from buying. After all, I'd just paid for the HSC test, and was trying to buy a pretty pricey handgun (at least more than the XDs which were on sale). Seems he'd want my business.

dwtt
03-11-2007, 10:17 PM
According to the dealer, there was a customer who was a retired serviceman. However, the power-mongering DOJ nutjob denied his registration because the military ID didn't say "Honorably Discharged," despite the fact that no military ID apparently says so explicitly. Anyways, the owner of the shop is close to Lockyer, and the issue was resolved.
I used to use my DD214 a few years ago to buy guns without getting the handgun safety certification and the DOJ guy was being a jerk like IGGY. The law requires the person to _not_ be discharged under dishonorable discharge. My DD214 doesn't say anything about being honorably discharged, it just doesn't say I was dishonably discharged. And, no, it should not require Bill Lockyer or Jerry Brown to fix such a stupid nonproblem.

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck
03-12-2007, 10:41 PM
So the proof-of-residency is just for the dealer? I ask, because I'm pretty confused by this since the dealer made it sound like it could cause a problem with the DOJ.

leelaw
03-12-2007, 10:45 PM
So the proof-of-residency is just for the dealer? I ask, because I'm pretty confused by this since the dealer made it sound like it could cause a problem with the DOJ.

The only thing that gets sent to the DOJ is the DROS. The residency verification is retained by the dealer, and will not cause a rejection of your DROS.

Ratters
03-13-2007, 7:40 AM
That's just looney. My driver's license still has my address from when I was married three years ago. I must have bought at least twenty guns since moving out and it has never been an issue. I just state the address is wrong and the dealer inputs the correct one on the dros. Man, what a pain in the rear for no good reason. I'd find another shop.

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck
03-14-2007, 1:35 AM
The only thing that gets sent to the DOJ is the DROS. The residency verification is retained by the dealer, and will not cause a rejection of your DROS.

Thanks, leelaw. I wonder what the actual issue was then:confused: . Oh well, nothing to do but fill out the DROS now that all my addresses should be the same.