PDA

View Full Version : Bighorn vs Cannon Safe

Ckrash2k3
12-27-2011, 11:39 AM
A couple of months ago I promised myself I wouldnít buy any new guns until I bought a gun safe. Well I want to buy a couple of guns early next year so itís time to get a safe. As it turns out my Christmas present from my kids was a gift card from Costco which is enough to get a safe. The timing couldnít have been better.

I am looking at the Bighorn model B6030EL or the Cannon model SC6040. I donít know much about either safe and I was hoping some of you might know a lot more than I do about these two safes. Thanks for any information you can provide.

RugerNo1
12-27-2011, 12:47 PM
I work in an retail store that sells a large amount of gunsafes (Cannon and Winchester mostly). Years ago we used to carry the Bighorn line and I personally liked them a lot. I would classify most of the Cannons as "entry level" quality and the Winchesters and Bighorns a step or two above (respectively).

If my memory serves me right, and Bighorn has not changed their manufacturing quality, the overall quality of Bighorn was very nice for the price paid. Many local gentlemen that I talk to love their Bighorn safes; however, I rarely hear a complaint about Cannon as well. I think the decision comes down to personal preferance when comparing these two safes.

llamatrnr
12-27-2011, 1:45 PM
I had one of each; liked them both, but kept the Bighorn. Watch Costco for good sales fairly often.

Desert_Rat
12-27-2011, 9:32 PM
Winchester is a step above Cannon?
That's news to me, my buddy has a Winchester from Costco and I have a Cannon/Patriot. Mine blows his away in the quality department. I'm a couple hundred lbs heavier and the interior is 1o times better than the Winchester. About the only thing about his that is better is, he has an electronic combo and I have a 4 number dial combo.

Both safes are advertised to hold 20-25 long guns.

Clownpuncher
12-27-2011, 9:38 PM
Watch the sales... Costco routinely has the Cannon on sale for $799. I think the bighorn is made by the same people that make cannon. The main difference is the interior vs exterior hinges and the bighorn may be a bit beefier. My buddy has the cannon from costco, it's a nice safe, I really like the USB passthrough. I'm just waiting on them to go on sale to get one. Plus, buying from costco, you absolutely can not go wrong. If you don't really like it, call them and they come pick it up. Costco has the best customer service and satisfaction ever.

RugerNo1
12-27-2011, 9:46 PM
That's news to me, my buddy has a Winchester from Costco and I have a Cannon/Patriot. Mine blows his away in the quality department. I'm a couple hundred lbs heavier and the interior is 1o times better than the Winchester. About the only thing about his that is better is, he has an electronic combo and I have a 4 number dial combo.

My apologies, I have made too broad of a statement. The Winchester TS-22 (http://www.tractorsupply.com/safes/winchester-reg-gun-safe-24-gun-capacity-1043297)is, in my opinion, of higher quality than similar Cannons and very much better than the Costco Winchester safes which are indeed garbage. The interior, of the TS-22, has carpet versus the cheap fabric and the shelves are more sturdy. Additionally, it comes with a nice organizer in the door. Perhaps the Cannons that I am familiar with are bottom line, which would not suprise me.

The Bighorn safes that I am familiar with had similar attributes so that is why I made that comparison. Also, I would say that the larger locking bolts in the Bighorn are a good plus as well.

bsg
12-28-2011, 3:34 AM

i prefer the manual dial combination lock.

Kerplow
12-28-2011, 10:51 AM
IMO the bighorn is about the best value you can get in a safe, albeit made in china. I'm happy with mine. for me, it all comes down to weight and fire rating. the bighorns are typically 10 ga steel and heavier than comparably priced competitors.

heyjerr
12-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Whatever you do, make sure to keep the proof of purchase. Both seem to have good warranties but require PoP.

http://www.cannonsafe.com/lifetime_warranty_policy.html

http://www.rhinosafe.com/warranty.htm

RugerNo1
12-28-2011, 11:26 AM
IMO the bighorn is about the best value you can get in a safe, albeit made in china. I'm happy with mine. for me, it all comes down to weight and fire rating. the bighorns are typically 10 ga steel and heavier than comparably priced competitors.

That is the biggest problem I have with the safes (Both Winchester and Bighorn). But, many Cannons are made in Mexico.

jm13690
12-28-2011, 5:53 PM
Really the thing is your looking at low end safes. I just wanted to get something in the meantime until I can really go for the safe I will need once my collection gets bigger. I picked up the Cannon when Costco had them cheap. It was about $610 after tax. It's almost already full. I know my next safe I will go bigger and stronger and then the Cannon will just be an Ammo safe.

I say that if this is going to be it for you safe wise then get something a bit stronger like a Sturdy safe.

Nodda Duma
12-28-2011, 6:28 PM
I've got the Bighorn 51-gun safe from Costco coming on the 3rd. 7144 EL is the model number I think. Could not beat the price..they had it on sale for like $1500

Ckrash2k3
12-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks everybody for the information. I think what I am going to do is wait until Costco has a sale on safes.

JaeOne3345
12-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Does anyone know if the 6030 ever goes on sale? It is advertised at 999.99.

I know the 19ECB does go on and off sale, but I am curious about the larger model.

Kerplow
12-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Does anyone know if the 6030 ever goes on sale? It is advertised at 999.99.

I know the 19ECB does go on and off sale, but I am curious about the larger model.

I've never seen it on sale. That's the one I have. Still a great value, came out to something like $1076 shipped to my door.

JaeOne3345
12-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Yea it is!

I went to local Cannon dealer yesterday.

I thought I was buying a car for a second. Jesus.

Do you have any interior pics? Want a different perspective than what us shown online.

Thanks!

Kerplow
12-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Yea it is!

I went to local Cannon dealer yesterday.

I thought I was buying a car for a second. Jesus.

Do you have any interior pics? Want a different perspective than what us shown online.

Thanks!

I don't have any pics. The interior is nothing fancy. just plain *** grey carpet (not very soft), one shelf up top that spans the entire width and two shelves on the right side. all the shelves are adjustable, and if you plan on putting more than 5 or so long guns in it you will ditch the two small shelves. They claim it holds up to 22 long guns, but that's only true if you plan on putting 22 10/22 size guns in it. You could probably cram about 15 long guns in it, as long as they don't all have pistol grips and scopes.

If you watch the product demo on this link you can get an idea of what the interior is all about.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11468049&search=gun+safe&Mo=5&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=gun+safe&Ntt=gun+safe&No=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

JaeOne3345
12-29-2011, 1:01 PM
Thanks!

Now to decide on the ECB vs the 6030.

Hmm.

jm13690
12-29-2011, 1:02 PM
Just got the Costco flyer and they had a Bighorn 19 gun safe for $569

JaeOne3345
12-29-2011, 1:13 PM
Starting January 5?

Did you see anything about the 6030?

I am set on the 6030 but don't want it to be 300 off in a month.

jimbos44
12-30-2011, 8:53 AM
Winchester safe at TSC 505lbs, 10- 1 1/4" bolts on 4 sides, continously welded seams, door organizer, Quality electric lock, fire rating, lifetime warranty, $699 ret, $549-$599 on sale

JaeOne3345
12-30-2011, 10:33 AM
How do you even add something to the cart on TSC? Forgive me in advance.

That Winchester is nice but I wonder if there is a way to get it with an manual lock.

jimbos44
12-30-2011, 2:57 PM
Why would you not want an e-lock? very high quality. If a thief breaks it off, triggers automatic relockers. Call winchester, and they replace the lock. Batteries last a couple years and aare easy to change. Just my .02

JaeOne3345
12-30-2011, 5:56 PM
Mainly because most of the failures I have heard of are due to digital locks.

And you seem to be under the impression that only a safe with a digital lock has relockers, which isn't true.

jimbos44
12-31-2011, 7:22 AM
I've just never heard of anyone that actually owned an e-lock that didn't like it

JaeOne3345
12-31-2011, 6:03 PM
I've just never heard of anyone that actually owned an e-lock that didn't like it

It's not about the speed or convenience.

Of course the speed and ease of it is nice. No one is denying that.

I don't need to get in my safe fast. I just do not want problems down the road with keypads going bad, etc.

I'm not worried about batteries or any of that.