PDA

View Full Version : *Vulcan* crappy guns strike again...

paradox
03-10-2007, 8:22 AM
Found this at ar15.com, it looks like *Vulcan* not only overcharges for cali-legal fixed builds but puts out crap...

(pardon the all caps, not my fault)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=318946
ENERIO: A GUY BUYS A COMPLETE AR (CAR-15) LEGALLY FROM CA. FFL DEALER. IT COMES WITH A "FIXED" 10-RD MAG. RIFLE FUNCTIONS POORLY (FEEDING, BOLT NOT LOCKING OPEN AFTER 10 RDS).

UPON FURTHER INSPECTION, SEEMS LIKE MAG IS AT FAULT.

UPON FURTHER INSPECTION, GUY FINDS THAT "FIXED" MAGAZINE IS ACTUALLY ASSEMBLED TO RIFLE THIS WAY: 20-RD, ARMALITE-STYLE MAG (BLOCKED INSIDE TO ONLY HOLD TEN) IS "PAINTED" AROUND OUTSIDE SURFACES W/ A GREY "SILICONE", THEN PUT INTO AN OTHERWISE REGULAR LOWER. HOLE IS THEN DRILLED & TAPPED THRU FRONT OF MAG WELL AND THRU MAG. LASLTLY, A HEX SCREW IS THREADED (WITH WRENCH SIDE FACING INTO MAG).

HERE'S THE REASON FOR ALL THE ABOVE: WHAT IF GUY REMOVES THE SCREW; PUSHES THRU ALL THE GUMMY SILICONE TO WORK THE MAG RELEASE BUTTON; GETS MAG OUT OF LOWER; CLEANS OUT ALL THE SILICONE; PUTS A BRAND NEW (IDENTICAL)MAG IN; DRILLS & TAPS MAG THRU EXISTING HOLE IN FRONT OF WELL; THEN RE-THREADS THE SCREW BACK IN (UNTIL IT IS FLUSH W/ THE MAG WELL), EXCEPT THAT THE SCREW IS FACING THE "OTHER" WAY NOW FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE MAINTENANCE. NOW THE MAG RELEASE PUSHES INWARD WITHOUT THE "MUSHY" FEEL, BUT MAG CAN'T ACTUALLY BE REMOVED UNLESS SCREW IS TAKEN BACK OUT. IS GUY FACING ANY "PROBLEMS" IF A CA. PEACE OFFICER WERE TO INSPECT SAID RIFLE? (REMEMBER:MAG IS NOT ABLE TO EVEN MOVE AN INCH SHOULD OFFICER DECIDE TO TRY TO RELEASE MAG BY USING RELEASE BUTTON). GUY WOULD REALLY LIKE SOME GOOD KNOWLEDGE HERE (IF POSSIBLE!!!!!!!)

ETA: it appears it is a vulcan/hesse fixed mag setup. And here I thought all those were based off their version of the "carbon" reciever. The only "DOJ-approved" fixed mag lowers I've seen is the Fab10. Doesn't look like I'm missing much with the other offerings. Thank god for my mil-spec lowers and the CalGuns crew, I don't have to worry too much about them :D

shark92651
03-10-2007, 8:42 AM
Is this Evan's? I thought he sold welded up AR's?

SemiAutoSam
03-10-2007, 8:43 AM
I read the entire thread at ARFCOM and didn't see anything attributed to Evans or his rifles.

Evans modified rifles have the mag well covered with an aluminum plate and welded up from what I have seen and read about.

This scenario is talking about a Vulcan or FAB10 type setup as far as I can tell.

tenpercentfirearms
03-10-2007, 8:44 AM
Wouldn't that be a Vulcan? I do believe Evans has sealed over magwells, not fake 20 rounders.

NeoWeird
03-10-2007, 8:50 AM
This sounds like Hesse. Evan's are welded closed, Bushmaster's and FAB-10s are never opened, and Hesse/Vulcan are the only ones that use that epoxied magazine with the set screw (that I know of).

Sounds like the guy is in some trouble. Sad, since he is a new member over there and never heard of us, so chances are he either heard it was legal and bought one, or saw one at Turners or the likes and got it, and now he is taking it apart without knowing the law and is getting hassled by the fuzz. Hope he is alright in the end.

savage1
03-10-2007, 8:56 AM
I saw that thread over there as well. I referred him over here since the CA guys don't get much help over there unless posted in the CA section.

five.five-six
03-10-2007, 9:16 AM
sounds like a vulcan. you can say a lot about Evan, but his riles are very nice

creampuff
03-10-2007, 10:04 AM
I made the mistake of purchasing a Vulcan fixed mag setup, before the OLL situation exploded onto the scene. The problem lies in their very cheap magazine they use, which I believe was confirmed to be a Promag. I can't find the pdf file, I know I have it somewhere, but I always thought that Vulcan did get an approval letter from the DOJ for their epoxied/pinned version.

Harbinger
03-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Vulcans are crap, but they can and do work.

Mine (after replacing the mag and re-fixing it) is mated to my least-favorite upper. I just use it as a beater AR... and it's yet to fail me.

I'm pretty sure it will some day, though. Mine exhibits the typical V15 problem: the buffer is getting kissed by the retaining detent because the receiver or extension threading isn't the right length/depth.

Mike

DV8
03-10-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm pretty sure it will some day, though. Mine exhibits the typical V15 problem: the buffer is getting kissed by the retaining detent because the receiver or extension threading isn't the right length/depth.

Mike

Cant that be fixed by carefully filing the extension? If its the receiver though, then theres no cure.

bwiese
03-10-2007, 2:45 PM
I have significant worries about DOJ-approved Vulcan ARs.

I've heard of at least 2 Vulcan fixed mags being manhandled out without a tool. (One was at a gunshow, and the poor vendor about crapped his pants when a rifle w/full features suite had an empty magwell.)

I am also wondering about fixed-mag Vulcans with 20rd mag tubes and have no idea how permanent the 10rd restriction is - which raises a whole separate issue.

Frankly, I believe OLL-based setups with good mag locks (or with MonsterMan grip or U15 stock and no evil feaures) are legally much better off.

A DOJ letter offers some protection but if that mag falls out on a Vulcan you're in a problematic situation: no matter how godlike Iggy thinks he is, even with his M4, he cannot absolve statutory law violations.

jumbopanda
03-10-2007, 3:43 PM
I've also heard of a Vulcan mag being yanked out. Just stay away from this crap and buy a normal lower.

Lon Moer
03-10-2007, 7:39 PM
I got one of the Vulcan cali-lower's. I replaced the crappy mag with a Bushmaster, and it has run great ever since.
I liked the lower so much, that I went ahead and bought 4 more of their regular OLL lowers. They all have a soft grey charcoal finish and no silly logo's.:)

PLINK
03-10-2007, 11:00 PM
I have an early Vulcan lower and it does not have the set screw. There is a blind roll pin that holds the mag in. The mag is fixed to 10 rounds because of the indents in the mag body. The follower does not do the round count restricting, the mag body does.

Here is what the mag looks like inside. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=49390

Here is the Vulcan letter.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1246&d=1148097505

OZONE78
03-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Actually, the guy is ME under a different name. No, I'm not in any trouble. My rifle works great. I even discovered the Bullet Button on here (and promptly bought one-- so I THINK I now have some level ("LEVEL II?") of security without getting f**ked with. And yes, it's a Vulcan-Shmulcan- it now functions like the AR-15 was designed to. BUT: " CALYFONEEA" really bites the big one concerning gun laws---I've never seen or read such moronic, twisted, B.S. as this state's laws concerning all the "evil features" of the black rifle and its counterparts.Sad....sad....sad....sad............

xenophobe
03-26-2007, 3:59 PM
And here I thought all those were based off their version of the "carbon" reciever. The only "DOJ-approved" fixed mag lowers I've seen is the Fab10.

No.

The Vulcan CA-approved receiver is forged aluminum. The Bushmaster California Carbon-15 is the carbon approved receiver.