PDA

View Full Version : First off roster/non c&r pistol transfer

SEABUG32
12-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Just recieved a pa-63 from an internet transfer from a new customer i havent met yet.Can't find it on list. When the call i tell them make sure its on the roster or c&r. Most of the time I double check. But im sure he said it was a rifle. so with the Holidays I didnt check.So now its signed for(by wife) and after opening theres a Pa-63 9x18 hungary pistol in the safe.What do I do? Send it back on my dime,I havent talked to the customer yet. Contact DOJ? I need a little help from my fellow ffls.Thanks
:confused:

Cokebottle
12-26-2011, 12:17 PM
First thing is to talk to the customer. He might fall under an exemption (LEO?).
If he is not exempt, then you can not release it to him unless it was a gift from his father/son/grandfather.
He would be responsible for return shipping, but good luck at collecting.

No need to involve DOJ.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-26-2011, 12:34 PM
...He would be responsible for return shipping, but good luck at collecting.

I imagine that the customer will have to get the handgun back to the seller in order to receive a refund from the seller, so he will have to cough up the return shipping if he wants his refund. That's if the seller will even give him a refund. Just keep the handgun until the customer pays you for the return shipping. Or if you think you might be able to sell the handgun to one of your customers who is exempt from the Roster then offer the guy some cash for his interest in the FEG so he can cut his losses.

Either way, he is probably going to be pissed and blame you. :D

Cokebottle
12-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Good point.
There's no pressing need to ship the gun back. It hasn't been DROS'd, so there's no 30 day clock running. It can sit in your safe for a month year legally.

SEABUG32
12-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks Guys, Kinda what I figured.

tenpercentfirearms
12-27-2011, 7:12 AM
Good point.
There's no pressing need to ship the gun back. It hasn't been DROS'd, so there's no 30 day clock running. It can sit in your safe for a month year legally.

Why can't it sit in his safe indefinitely legally?

Yeah you should incur zero cost on this transaction and still be compensated for your time, especially for a newb customer that didn't do his research. You can lawfully possess that handgun in your inventory all you want because you are an 01 FFL in CA.

So let him know you can't DROS it to him and ask him what he wants you to do with it. If he wants you to ship it back, let him know it is going to cost shipping and $20 for your time. That sounds pretty reasonable.

If he was a long time customer, I would waive the $20. Or if he acts cool, you can always waive the $20 and just tell him you don't want to hose him on his first out of state transaction. It might encourage him to come back for more. However, do not lose any money on the deal. Someone needs to pay for shipping. You have a fully paid for pistol to help leverage that.

Don Edmondson
12-27-2011, 9:09 AM
My pa 63 was manufactured in 1953 that make's it c&r right Does that make the roster apply thanks Don

kemasa
12-27-2011, 10:49 AM
A quick search seems to indicate that these firearms were made in the early 60s:

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/hu/feg-ap-63-pa-1963-e.html

The FEG PA-63 pistol was developed during early 1960s at the Hungarian FEG arms

So I don't know how one could have been made in 1953.

Correction: Another site does say that it was developed in the late 50s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEG_PA-63

I had a firearm which was claimed to be a C&R, but turned out not to be based on the specifics of the firearm, even though the importer claimed that it was.

I would talk to the customer and see if he can prove that it is a C&R. If not, then you need to work out what needs to be done, but make sure that you get money in advance of releasing the firearm.

Don Edmondson
12-27-2011, 8:34 PM
The dealer in Idaho told me it was one of the first made 1953 Don

Mssr. Eleganté
12-27-2011, 8:39 PM
The dealer in Idaho told me it was one of the first made 1953 Don

Sorry, I deleted my post just as you were posting. After some research it looks like the Hungarians may have rebuilt some older models (48.M, RK-59 ,R-61 ???) into PA-63 configuration. Interesting.