PDA

View Full Version : Age requirement for class 3 AW?

eldorado
12-25-2011, 7:49 PM
Is there any age requirement beyond 18 y.o. for a "features" aw with bullet button?
Thanks,
Bob

QuarterBoreGunner
12-25-2011, 7:54 PM
wait...what?

An 'assault weapon' as defined by Cali PC? Bullet button?

eldorado
12-25-2011, 8:01 PM
[QUOTE=QuarterBoreGunner;7729709]wait...what?

An 'assault weapon' as defined by Cali PC? Bullet button?

OK, OK. not class 3.....category 3....(features, off list, non-Roose-Roberti) BB, AR platform. Can an 18 YO possess? I can't find in SB 23, but recall 21 for some reason. :D

Cokebottle
12-25-2011, 8:21 PM
A featureless or fixed-magazine rifle is simply a featureless or a fixed magazine rifle.
An FFL can transfer a completed build to anyone 18 or older.
Anyone under 18 may be gifted one by their parents.

The 21+ issue is with stripped lowers. They are DROS'd as a "Rifle" but the 4473 lists them as "other".
Since they are not written up on the 4473 as "Rifle" they can not be transferred to anyone under 21. Stripped lowers, PG-only shotguns, handguns... all are limited to 21+ for transfers, but all can be gifted to 18+ by their parents.

CSACANNONEER
12-25-2011, 8:31 PM
Anyone of any age can legally own a long gun. Hell, anyone of any age can even manufacture one for personal use.

A Cat 3 AW or any other Ca AW does not need a magazine lock. A non AW semi auto rifle with evil features would need a magazine lock (bullet button or any other type).

Arisaka
12-25-2011, 9:00 PM
^^ Interesting... You can roll your own AK at any age? Good to know.

CSACANNONEER
12-25-2011, 9:08 PM
^^ Interesting... You can roll your own AK at any age? Good to know.

Handguns are different though. You need to be able to legally own one before you can legally manufacture on for yourself. So, if one wants to manufacture an AK handgun, they must be 18.

SxB
12-25-2011, 9:43 PM
I thought it was 21 for handguns and 18 for long guns?

Handguns are different though. You need to be able to legally own one before you can legally manufacture on for yourself. So, if one wants to manufacture an AK handgun, they must be 18.

Cokebottle
12-25-2011, 9:57 PM
I thought it was 21 for handguns and 18 for long guns?
18 for rifles and 21 for everything else...
But that is for transfer from an FFL.

Anyone of any age can be in possession of or gifted a long gun or shotgun, stripped lower, or "other" (PG-only shotgun) by their parents... they just can not be a party to an FFL transfer.
Likewise, anyone over the age of 18 can be in possession of or be gifted a hand gun or by their parents... they just can not be a party to an FFL transfer.

There is a difference between possession laws and transfer laws.

The really snotty thing is, as an 03FFL, I can not gift ANY firearm to a minor, whether C&R or modern, even though you, as a non-03FFL, can give a Ruger 10/22 to your son.

SxB
12-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Good info. I didn't know that.
Thanks

18 for rifles and 21 for everything else...
But that is for transfer from an FFL.

Anyone of any age can be in possession of or gifted a long gun or shotgun, stripped lower, or "other" (PG-only shotgun) by their parents... they just can not be a party to an FFL transfer.
Likewise, anyone over the age of 18 can be in possession of or be gifted a hand gun or by their parents... they just can not be a party to an FFL transfer.

There is a difference between possession laws and transfer laws.

The really snotty thing is, as an 03FFL, I can not gift ANY firearm to a minor, whether C&R or modern, even though you, as a non-03FFL, can give a Ruger 10/22 to your son.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-26-2011, 12:55 AM
...The really snotty thing is, as an 03FFL, I can not gift ANY firearm to a minor, whether C&R or modern, even though you, as a non-03FFL, can give a Ruger 10/22 to your son.

Why do you think an 03 FFL can't give a 10/22 to their minor child? :confused: They are only forbidden from transferring C&R firearms to minors and C&R handguns to people under 21.

Cokebottle
12-26-2011, 1:02 AM
Why do you think an 03 FFL can't give a 10/22 to their minor child? :confused: They are only forbidden from transferring C&R firearms to minors and C&R handguns to people under 21.
Federal law makes no distinction between the type of firearm nor the class of FFL that may or may not transfer a firearm to a minor... unless there's an exemption to the 03 that I've overlooked, but this was being discussed a few weeks ago and that was the conclusion.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-26-2011, 1:16 AM
Federal law makes no distinction between the type of firearm nor the class of FFL that may or may not transfer a firearm to a minor... unless there's an exemption to the 03 that I've overlooked, but this was being discussed a few weeks ago and that was the conclusion.

What about from the Code of Federal Regulations...

§ 478.11 Meaning of terms.

Firearm. Any weapon, including a starter gun, which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or any destructive device; but the term shall not include an antique firearm. In the case of a licensed collector, the term shall mean only curios and relics.

and also from an ATF newsletter...

As a reminder, a C&R license does not afford any privileges to the licensee with respect to acquiring or disposing of firearms other than curios or relics in interstate or foreign commerce. A licensed collector has the same status under the GCA as a non-licensee except for transactions in curio or relic firearms.

GoingQuiet
12-29-2011, 8:46 AM
Is there any age requirement beyond 18 y.o. for a "features" aw with bullet button?
Thanks,
Bob

Class 3 is a tax bracket, not an item.

An NFA regulated item is an NFA regulated item. An AW as defined under CA state law is an AW. They are not one and the same.

Cokebottle
12-29-2011, 5:34 PM
Class 3 is a tax bracket, not an item.

An NFA regulated item is an NFA regulated item. An AW as defined under CA state law is an AW. They are not one and the same.
And a bullet-button equipped semiautomatic, centerfire rifle with a barrel at least 16" long and an OAL at least 30" is neither unless it has been configured as an AOW or DD with a "masterkey" or grenade launcher.