PDA

View Full Version : How to make my leather sling softer/more pliable?

morrow
12-25-2011, 5:16 PM
I have a 1907 leather sling. It's pretty stiff so the hooks come out easily when mounted on my m1903a3. Is there a way I can make it a lot softer? Some type of oil or something? I've been using some leather oil but it hasn't made much of a difference.

45ACPete
12-25-2011, 6:12 PM
Neatsfoot oil is traditional for leather--used it on new baseball gloves when I was a kid. Don't know where you get it these days. I asked about it at a hardware store recently and got a blank stare in return. Holes for hooks should be tight as hell on a new sling--if they're already loose they will only get looser with use.

njineermike
12-25-2011, 6:21 PM
I put my motorcycle leathers in the dryer on air fluff for an hour or so. Helps break them up nicely.

Eat Dirt
12-25-2011, 6:24 PM
Neatsfoot oil is traditional for leather--used it on new baseball gloves when I was a kid. Don't know where you get it these days. I asked about it at a hardware store recently and got a blank stare in return. Holes for hooks should be tight as hell on a new sling--if they're already loose they will only get looser with use.

I needed some a while back
Went to the local Feed store
Had it there / Horse people use it on saddles and Tack

Ed_Hazard
12-25-2011, 6:26 PM

Yup, great stuff for leather care, Pretty much only going to find it nowadays online or in tack stores.

sl4ck3r
12-25-2011, 9:09 PM
the stuff they sell at motorcycle stores in the brown bottle for leather is nice... it is a conditioner.. you rub it in and then rub it off after it dries. helps protect it too.

Rock6.3
12-25-2011, 9:11 PM
Once you get it all floppy and flimsy you will be wishing it were not so flimsy.... Proceed with caution.

JHermsen
12-25-2011, 10:29 PM
I use the leather M 1907 for competition all the time. Use Mink Oil, that's all you'll need. Usually found in Cobbler's/ Shoe Repair shops.

pyromensch
12-26-2011, 7:50 PM
native americans used to chew it, to make t soft :)