PDA

View Full Version : weird winchester ranger 9mm FTF's????

Socal858
03-09-2007, 5:23 PM
had some weird maltfuncitons using winchester ranger 9mm 147GR SXT today. the model number is RA9T

i shot these out of a friend's P239, P226, walther P99, and 92FS

the sigs kept jamming horribly every two or three rounds. the walther was a little better

the beretta would almost finish the mag. sometiomes i could get all ten out

BIG NOTE: these guns are dirty as all hell. im thinking thats why but these are all reliable reputable firearms. i am not limp wristing, i rented a G19 and P220 earlier just fine with diff ammo.

is this bad ammo or smeothing? i only bought it cuz i got an incredible deal (none of yall would refuse). i still have 900 rounds of it . . id like to keep it and shoot it if its the guns' fault. i should have put a few through that glock 19 they had just to see

thanks

L-2
03-09-2007, 6:12 PM
Not enough info.

From the information provided, the best way to determine if the ammo is good, the next time you shoot, bring another brand of ammo, bought new from a store, and bring a gun known to reliably work. As another brand or batch of ammo was not substituted into those other guns when you last went shooting, the guns (&/or magazines) could very well be the problem. You mentioned your friend's guns were dirty, which implies these guns are not well-maintained.

Also, the source of your ammunition is suspect, unless you shoot it through a known, properly operating gun. While I don't believe Winchester would let bad ammo out of its factory, who's to say actual Winchester Ranger ammo is actually packed into those boxes? All I've read is you got a good deal on the ammo, not from where you bought it.

!@#$
03-09-2007, 6:12 PM
clean the 226 and give it another go. make sure you clean the mags too. if you want to get your money back out of them pm me...

Socal858
03-09-2007, 8:22 PM
Not enough info.

From the information provided, the best way to determine if the ammo is good, the next time you shoot, bring another brand of ammo, bought new from a store, and bring a gun known to reliably work. As another brand or batch of ammo was not substituted into those other guns when you last went shooting, the guns (&/or magazines) could very well be the problem. You mentioned your friend's guns were dirty, which implies these guns are not well-maintained.

Also, the source of your ammunition is suspect, unless you shoot it through a known, properly operating gun. While I don't believe Winchester would let bad ammo out of its factory, who's to say actual Winchester Ranger ammo is actually packed into those boxes? All I've read is you got a good deal on the ammo, not from where you bought it.

the ammo is real factory sealed winchester ranger, i am friends with a range and had them let go of a bit of ammo when their new shipment came in. no reason to be suspect of it being reloaded, etc.

i suspect it is still the cleanliness of my buddy's guns (they are pretty dirty, he just runs a patch through the barrel and keeps going). ive shot the walther a few weeks ago with FMJ and it fed fine, nobody else has shot it besides me since then ; didnt have time to run other ammo through the other guns today.

i know its not enough info, i am just assuming FMJ shoudl feed fine through these guns (since the walther did last time) and i am assuming ranger should be good ammo (yes i made sure its factory)

the maltfunctions were mainly having it jam while trying to feed the ammo. the tip would just stick into the feed ramp, i guess because the ranger has that funny claw like hollow point

Franksremote
03-10-2007, 12:13 AM
BIG NOTE: these guns are dirty as all hell. im thinking thats why but these are all reliable reputable firearms. i am not limp wristing, i rented a G19 and P220 earlier just fine with diff ammo.

is this bad ammo or smeothing? i only bought it cuz i got an incredible deal (none of yall would refuse). i still have 900 rounds of it . . id like to keep it and shoot it if its the guns' fault. i should have put a few through that glock 19 they had just to see

thanks

Dirty/dry guns will jam like it's no one's business. Thoroughly clean and lube the aforementioned guns and try again. I'm sure you'll notice the difference. ;)

lazyworm
03-10-2007, 12:20 AM
The ammo is obviously bad.

I'd gladly take them off your hands. :p

ghideon
03-10-2007, 3:59 AM
I've fired 100rnds of 9mm Ranger SXT (50 of 147gr, 50 of 127gr +P+) through a 92fs with zero problems.

For the P239, I think I had two failure to feeds out of 50 127gr +P+.