PDA

View Full Version : AK furniture -- nice?

xrMike
03-09-2007, 1:34 PM
Got this set a few weeks ago, forgot all about it, wondering how this set rates, appearance-wise, among more knowledgable AK-folks:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/xrMike/guns/AK_furniture_1a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/xrMike/guns/AK_furniture_2a.jpg

Bought them from that guy on the East Coast known as SKS Man. Really nice guy. These were not cheap! Think I paid $130 or something like that, with shipping and all... I know, who in their right mind would pay that much for AK wood? I couldn't help it, I LOVE the look of that really blond Bulgarian wood. Had to have it.

My parts kit is Romanian. Is it heinously sacrilegious to mate bulgarian blond wood with Romanian parts? Will I look like a doofus at the range, more so than usual? :D

Also, what is general opinion about Duracoat finish vs. Parkerizing on an AK?

I'm going to ask James to build mine up eventually, and he said he would offer the parked finish as an option soon... I'm leaning toward the park, seeing as how I generally like flat black on stuff versus shiny. Just wondering what will look best with the wood above as well as what's more durable.

proraptor
03-09-2007, 1:55 PM
Nice wood....thats about regular price for nice sets...I go duracoat or allumahyde...

Andrew LB
03-09-2007, 1:58 PM
Sorry to interrupt.... but i've been looking at buying an SKS for a long time but would like to know where I can get a very high quality Kalifornia legal rifle. Are the best Bulgarian?

TheMan
03-09-2007, 2:14 PM
Also, what is general opinion about Duracoat finish vs. Parkerizing on an AK?

I'm going to ask James to build mine up eventually, and he said he would offer the parked finish as an option soon... I'm leaning toward the park, seeing as how I generally like flat black on stuff versus shiny. Just wondering what will look best with the wood above as well as what's more durable.

The wood looks very nice. You could get a new set of US wood furniture for less from Ironwood designs, but you still have to apply the finish yourself. I got some Dark Walnut from Ironwood that I am very happy with the look of.

I am trying to decide on finishing a couple of my AKs as well. I have been told my Yugo kits have a black oxide coating on the top cover, and I'd like to match that. But the info I found on black oxide coatings makes it sound like it is just a heavy bluing. And the finish on those Yugos seems to be more than just bluing.

Are you going to have him apply the finish to the whole parts kit, or just the receiver?

MrTuffPaws
03-09-2007, 3:22 PM
Nice? That is freaking beautiful.

Addax
03-09-2007, 5:19 PM
That is a very beautiful set.

It looks like a Bulgarian AK74 Wood Set with the ribbed buttplate.
It will work on AK Stamped Receivers.

I had the exact same kit on my Bulgarian AK47.

I have a current Bulgi AK74 being built with a wood set like this one.

The only issue with these types of wood sets is that they are just a little soft and will easily get compression dents if you are not careful.

The Laminate wood stocks are a bit harder because of the glue holding the wood laminates together.

Congrats!