PDA

View Full Version : first 22lr. what to buy

zippo
03-09-2007, 6:40 AM
hi.
I never have 22lr piston before, should I buy other handgun in 22lr or CZ 75 Kadet conversion kit ( I have CZ 75 BD)
if buy new gun or use will run around $ 250-400 but if just only conversion kit is about $275-299
I not shooting that much but would like to have 22lr for cheap ammo cost.
what to get?? 22lr hadngun or conversion kit.....
can U give me some idea ??

thank U
zippo

paradox
03-09-2007, 7:01 AM
hi.
I never have 22lr piston before, should I buy other handgun in 22lr or CZ 75 Kadet conversion kit ( I have CZ 75 BD)
if buy new gun or use will run around $ 250-400 but if just only conversion kit is about $275-299
I not shooting that much but would like to have 22lr for cheap ammo cost.
what to get?? 22lr hadngun or conversion kit.....
can U give me some idea ??

thank U
zippo

Get a conversion kit. The manual of arms will stay the same for practice and HD, if you get a trigger job done, both your rimfire and centerfire shooting benefits, and lastly, you donít have to pay DROS, transfer, and other tributes to the Man...

kilword
03-09-2007, 9:34 AM
browning buckmark.

NeoWeird
03-09-2007, 10:37 AM
I would say for the first do NOT get a conversion kit. If you want to get one later, that is fine, but for a first I would NOT get it.

I say this because conversions are an after thought and as such are designed to work with an existing design, which usually causes some problems. Also the conversion units are nice for training and general plinking, but some have problems, especially with ammo types and maintenance. If it were me, I'd buy a cheaper pistol to have fun with and gte something reliable that you can enjoy. After a bit of time, if you enjoy it enough, then get the conversion.

As you said .22 pistols are cheap enough that you can get one and not break the bank. The Ruger MK series, Walther P22, Browning Buckmark, Sig-Sauer Mosquito, Berettas rather length line of pistols rimfires, S&W revolvers, etc. There are plenty out there to choose from, so get one you like and practice with it.

That's what I would do at least.

paradox
03-09-2007, 11:16 AM
I would say for the first do NOT get a conversion kit. If you want to get one later, that is fine, but for a first I would NOT get it.

I say this because conversions are an after thought and as such are designed to work with an existing design, which usually causes some problems. Also the conversion units are nice for training and general plinking, but some have problems, especially with ammo types and maintenance. If it were me, I'd buy a cheaper pistol to have fun with and gte something reliable that you can enjoy. After a bit of time, if you enjoy it enough, then get the conversion.

The CZ kits are designed and manufactured by CZ to be used in training. They are well regarded as both reliable and very accurate.

NeoWeird
03-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Yes, I know that, but the pistols were not designed with the 22 conversion in mind, they were designed as a military side arm first with a training unit added on later. I could probably whip up something for myself that would function and look better than most of the units on the market, but that doesn't mean it is an excellent alternative to a firearm designed to shoot the .22 LR. One of the biggest problems with conversions is that the feed ramps, angles, gaps, etc. are all taken into consideration on larger centerfire ammunition. Throw in some .22 LR, and while it may function, it can give you a headache of problems.

Again I am not saying anything about conversion units, I am personally going to buy three different ones in the next couple weeks, I just feel that for a first time user a person should train on something a little simpler, reliable, and all all around more enjoyable first. Now if he was an LEO, I would say get a conversion for his carry piece, but for a General Joe-afternoon-plinker I would point the person towards something like the MKIII that, in my opinion, would be more beifitical to him in the long run.

Rem1492
03-09-2007, 11:53 AM
I own 3 P22s, they are popular in states where silencers are legal.

They eat usually the green remington thunderbolt ammo only, no hollow points. Fun to shoot and mildy accurate (not as much as a buckmark or longer heavier pistol) for their small size and weight. girls love em and they save me cash$$$ on range trips ammo-wise.

I also have the DPMS M4 .22LR upper for the AR, its the funnest gun I have!

chiefcrash
03-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Smith and Wesson has some pretty good .22 revolvers and semi-autos

maxicon
03-09-2007, 12:14 PM
I'd say it depends on what you want to do with it, and how much you want to spend.

If you want something inexpensive capable of decent accuracy, get a Ruger MKII or MKIII, a Browning Buckmark, a Beretta Neos, or a S&W 22A. If you want to put on a red dot (big fun on a .22!), make sure the one you get has either a rail built in or is capable of accepting one. The Ruger's the standard and is a great gun, but they're a bit of a pain to break down and clean.

If you want an inexpensive plinker that feels like a real pistol, get a P22 or a conversion kit for your CZ. The CZ kit is nice, but then you've only got 1.5 guns, instead of 2. A Sig Mosquito's worth a look too, but they're a bit expensive. The CZ has decent accuracy, while the Sig and P22 won't compare to the Ruger, Buckmark, etc.

For an inexpensive, accurate revolver, the Ruger Single Six is the best bet. Nobody makes inexpensive double-action .22 revolvers these days. S&W makes some great ones, but they're all over $500.

There are other choices - Kimber .22 1911, S&W 41, Sig Trailside, and such, but these are more serious guns for more serious money.

ns3v3n
03-09-2007, 1:35 PM
get the rugers and never look back.

grammaton76
03-09-2007, 4:08 PM
Eh, I'd go for the CZ personally. Using proper ammo, I've never had a FTF/FTE issues with it. It seems to really love that "Thunderbolt" stuff in the green boxes.

Travis
03-09-2007, 4:23 PM
My wife loves her Sig Mosquito. Great gun for a modern looking .22LR automatic. The Walther P22 was her second choice but it was physically too small.

zippo
03-09-2007, 7:52 PM
thank for your info. at this time my mine (about 65%)want to get conversion kit. but Ruger Mark ,Buckmark is nice also.
like PARADOX said is cheaper to get conversion kit and enjoy my CZ .
But NeoWeird have very very good point , get gun that designed for that unite better then one that make after they designes.
thank for all your help I still thinking about it. may be I can fine nice use 22lr. in very good price. near my area.

Andrew LB
03-09-2007, 8:05 PM
I've been looking into a .22 cal semi-auto plinker since my only .22 cal pistol is a 45 year old Ruger 6 shooter revolver single action with the little trap door to load/unload one round at a time. It was my Fathers first pistol which he bought when he turned 18 year old. I'd rather only shoot that on occasion and need to get a workhorse .22 cal plinker to save money on ammo at the range since it gets kinda expensive to be constantly shooting manufacturers grade ammo (WWB 9mm) or what i can find a deal on (.38 special or .357 mag) when i shoot my S&W Model 66-2 K Frame.

My XD-9mm has had almost 9,000 rounds through it since i got it two years ago and while I love the pistol, my increased visits to the range (almost twice a week now) are getting expensive ammo wise.

I've been looking into a Browning Buck Mark. Probably the standard one and in the future i'll give it a trigger job and some other little additions.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/images/051407m.jpg

Californio
03-09-2007, 8:21 PM
Ruger 22/45 with bull barrel, just about the right balance and weight of a 1911 government - good muscle memory training and cheap to feed.

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck
03-10-2007, 1:27 PM
+2 for the Browning Buckmark.

lunde
04-29-2007, 8:01 AM
+3 for the Buck Mark. I bought my Camper in early 2001, and immediately had its steel parts hard-chromed by Tripp Research. I wanted a nickel one, but none were available at the time. It has been a constant range companion since, and has well over 15,000 rounds through it.

I recently decided to modify it, with a TacSol 7.25-inch barrel, TacSol grips, TacSol integral Picatinny rail, and Ultra Dot L/T red-ot sight. I made the changes on Friday evening, took snapshots that night, and shot it yesterday morning (about 100 rounds). This is a weet setup. I chose the Buck Mark over the Ruger mainly because of the trigger. My Buck Mark has an excellent trigger.

Here are photos of its current configuration:

http://lundestudio.com/photos/buckmark-tacsol-left-front.jpg

http://lundestudio.com/photos/buckmark-tacsol-right-front.jpg

More photos here: http://lundestudio.com/others.html#buckmark-tacsol

gunsnrovers
04-29-2007, 8:08 AM
Zippo, what did you wind up buying?

I like the Kadet kit. Well made. Reliable. Shoots well.

On top of that, it gives you more CZ trigger time and the CZ trigger really smooths out with use. :)

CrackedShot
04-29-2007, 8:08 AM
+4 on the Buckmark, great price, great ergos, great trigger, excellent accuracy!!:) :)

hdcd
04-29-2007, 8:18 AM
This 617 is an awesome gun and a good price.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56502

AJAX22
04-29-2007, 8:25 AM
there is a pre-war colt woodsman for sale in the private firearms section.

for 400 bucks you can have one of the best 22s ever made

fairfaxjim
04-29-2007, 8:40 AM
Another Buck Mark fan here. I have had this one (5.5Target) for about 10 years, and it is a sweet little .22. I have never had it choke on anything I feed it.
BTW - did SIG get the feeding problems sorted out with the Mosquito? I wanted one of those, but it had gotten such a bad rep, and had all the issues of having to put in different springs and such, that I passed on it. Still would buy one if the problems have actually been solved.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/images/051402m.jpg

maxicon
04-29-2007, 10:05 AM
I recently decided to modify it, with a TacSol 7.25-inch barrel, TacSol grips, TacSol integral Picatinny rail, and Ultra Dot L/T red-ot sight. I made the changes on Friday evening, took snapshots that night, and shot it yesterday morning (about 100 rounds). This is a sweet setup. I chose the Buck Mark over the Ruger mainly because of the trigger. My Buck Mark has an excellent trigger.

http://lundestudio.com/photos/buckmark-tacsol-left-front.jpg

That's the best looking Buckmark I've ever seen by a long shot. Makes me want to buy one.

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but how do you like that Ultra Dot sight? I've got some of their old school red dots, but haven't tried the new designs yet. That one's got the perfect look for that gun.

lunde
04-29-2007, 12:32 PM
maxicon, you wrote:...but how do you like that Ultra Dot sight? I've got some of their old school red dots, but haven't tried the new designs yet. That one's got the perfect look for that gun.I love the Ultra Dot L/T. I wanted something compact, light, and effective. I get all three with this system.