PDA

View Full Version : What's a cool "not-CA-safe" handgun?

thefinger
03-08-2007, 10:24 PM
As I mentioned in my last thread... I am a Missouri resident for the next year or so and I have the opportunity to buy some "not-CA-safe" handguns before I move back to CA. I'm a college student, so my funds are going to be limited. I'm looking for something in the $250-400 range. Any recommendations on something neat that you can't get in CA? There are plenty of pistols I would be glad to buy in CA, but if there is something better in the free states I'd like to take advantage of my soon-to-end freedom in Missouri. Help me out!:p

JPN6336
03-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Caspian frame so that you can have a nice custom 1911 built on it sometime in the future. I can think of others I would like but they're not in that price range.

gmcem50
03-08-2007, 10:38 PM
I want a Kahr PM45, and they are not on the list. SO when you decide to make the move, let me know.

ghost
03-08-2007, 10:42 PM
if you had around the $600 range you should check out the new taurus pt1911.

thefinger
03-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Why don't I set a more realistic limit at about $600. That should get some better responses.:D

grammaton76
03-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Save up everything and buy a Mateba revolver.

Knauga
03-08-2007, 10:54 PM
There are all sorts of garbage guns out there... but hey, lets talk about a cool gun if you are going to go for it! :D

Champion Operator... this one wants $825 for his... but who knows what they run in MO stores :D
http://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/3321/976807480/wm_md_11954.jpg

asintado
03-08-2007, 10:54 PM
If I were you I'd buy up a bunch of 2nd hand S&W and Colt revolvers of all sorts. They're really cheap ($150-$300) range and much of the older model revolvers we can't get in Cali anymore. Also look into Kel-Tecs and other pocket pistols. They're another inexpensive option and can go for twice as much if you ever decide to sell it in Cali. Just hit up the DOJ Firearms website and whatever is not on the list I'd look into picking up.

rorschach
03-08-2007, 11:33 PM
If I were you I'd buy up a bunch of 2nd hand S&W and Colt revolvers of all sorts.

+1

M28 Highway Patrolman for me, I always miss out when a CG member has or knows of one for sale. M19 and M29 would be nice too.

thefinger
03-08-2007, 11:49 PM
If I were you I'd buy up a bunch of 2nd hand S&W and Colt revolvers of all sorts. They're really cheap ($150-$300) range and much of the older model revolvers we can't get in Cali anymore. Also look into Kel-Tecs and other pocket pistols. They're another inexpensive option and can go for twice as much if you ever decide to sell it in Cali. Just hit up the DOJ Firearms website and whatever is not on the list I'd look into picking up.

How much would a kel-tec pocket pistol go for in CA? Looks like they retail for around $300 out here.

smogcity
03-09-2007, 12:13 AM
Kel Tec P-32-There $250-300, here $500-700!

asintado
03-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Depending on how bad someone wants one I've seen them go for $500-ish simply because its very difficult for a Cali resident to acquire one. It also depends when and where you're selling it, sometimes you'll have a dry spell as far as interest goes. I personally would just keep it simply because its a very concealable handgun perfect for ccw and just because its unique. If I were in your shoes I'd scour the local stores and take a look at what they have in their 2nd hand section (aka sat. night special section) and see if you can find any rarities there. Basically see what deals there are first before deciding any specific handgun you want. I too am a college student on a tight budget and it pisses me off to see deals come and go for outrageously cheap prices. It's also hard to decide whether to pick up a deal or keep saving for the handgun I've planned for. Good luck with your search.

thefinger
03-09-2007, 12:16 AM
Kel Tec P-32-There $250-300, here $500-700!

....interesting.....

Well, if you guys are interested in anything specifically please PM me and let me know. Just remember I won't be moving to CA until May of 2008. :cool:

randy
03-09-2007, 12:18 AM
If you are buying it to keep then get what you want. If you are buying it to make a buck then get an STI or SVI long dust cover.

thefinger
03-09-2007, 12:26 AM
If you are buying it to keep then get what you want. If you are buying it to make a buck then get an STI or SVI long dust cover.

I think I echo the sentiments of many gun enthusiasts when I say, "I don't know what I want!":p

....... or maybe it should be more like, "I want it all!":D

anyhow, I took a look at the kel-tec p32 and it looks pretty sweet. I like it with the 10rd extended mag/grip.

Knight
03-09-2007, 12:31 AM
Save up everything and buy a Mateba revolver.

For the love of God, do what the man says!!!

AJAX22
03-09-2007, 1:24 AM
another one to save up for is the Automag III in .30 carbine,

the mateba would be cool... really cool... and there are alot of guys on here who want one bad.

I'd buy a bunch of virgin AR15 lower receivers papered as pistols and put pinned 10 round mags in them. 100-120 bucks a pop and who on here wouldn't pay 300-400 bucks for a private party transfered OLL based Pistol?

also the cobray pm12-380 and PM11/9 with out the threaded barrels are good markup guns, buy them out of state for 300 sell them here for 700

Sal
03-09-2007, 2:40 AM
are the mateba's DA/SA, or single action only?

with the way the law is written on CA exempt handguns, a single action pistol with a revolving cylinder is exempt from the safe handgun testing, IF the mateba's have no DA ability they technically should be exempt from the testing, as they then would be a single action only revolver.

12133. (a) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-action revolver that has at least a 5-cartridge capacity with a barrel length of not less than three inches, and meets any of the following specifications: (1) Was originally manufactured prior to 1900 and is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations. (2) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled. (3) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled and that is currently approved for importation into the United States pursuant to the provisions of paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of Section 925 of Title 18 of the United States Code.

the automag III is a cool pistol, i had a chance to handle one a few months ago at the range, the owner said it was a fun range gun but they were not too reliable, and parts were hard to find and expensive, but he said it was a great pistol other than that.

ts
03-09-2007, 2:54 AM
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=267

if you accidentally buy two i would take one off your hands for a very good price!:D

note: he did not say good gun, he said "cool" gun. to have one of these in CA is pretty cool IMO.

grammaton76
03-09-2007, 4:30 AM
are the mateba's DA/SA, or single action only?

They're semi-auto, actually. Yes, a semi-auto revolver. Hence why folks who like to collect weird designs really like 'em.

Sal
03-09-2007, 4:48 AM
no, i knew that mateba's were semi, but if they can be fired double action is the question, if not they technically would be a single action revolver and dont need to be on the approved roster.

slick_711
03-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Look into the Glock 21SF. Very nice, I handled one yesterday, noticeably more comfortable than the 21 and the Picatinny rail is sort've mean looking. I know it's just a Glock, but it is a Glock we will most likely never ever see in CA.

rkt88edmo
03-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Inexpensive and not abused revolvers + keltecs would be the way to go IMO.

tlillard23
03-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Go look at the list of approved guns, buy all of those and anything else that looks cool.

College?????? Sheeeeit get ten 0% interest credit cards and start buying a few months before you move. The card companies love college people (or at least they used too)

Is there a limit on the number of guns/rifles/handguns you can import???

thefinger
03-09-2007, 4:25 PM
Go look at the list of approved guns, buy all of those and anything else that looks cool.

College?????? Sheeeeit get ten 0% interest credit cards and start buying a few months before you move. The card companies love college people (or at least they used too)

Is there a limit on the number of guns/rifles/handguns you can import???

You're right about credit card companies loving college kids. I have a few 0% cards..... one company even credited me a free $50 on it when I threatened to cancel my card. Anyhow, I've got some time to figure all this out..... I won't be buying anything until September.

I have to say.... that little kel-tec p32 is pretty sweet. :p

Knight
03-09-2007, 9:44 PM
The Mateba is a DA/SA, semiautomatic revolver. So yes, it can be fired in double action. They also have threaded muzzles.

Andrew LB
03-09-2007, 10:21 PM
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=267

if you accidentally buy two i would take one off your hands for a very good price!:D

note: he did not say good gun, he said "cool" gun. to have one of these in CA is pretty cool IMO.

I've read over and over and over the Kalifornia gun laws and I was under the impression that you cannot "import" such a "mini uzi" type weapon with the features that KelTec has such as the threaded barrel, high cap mag, etc. And even if it were bought and registered before the deadline here in California, wouldn't it be illegal to transfer its ownership to another California resident since it wouldn't have been before the assault weapons ban?

(II may be totally wrong on this since the damned Gun Law PDF i've been reading is so damned ambiguous on what is legal and what isn't. It drives me nuts.

thefinger
03-09-2007, 11:50 PM
I've read over and over and over the Kalifornia gun laws and I was under the impression that you cannot "import" such a "mini uzi" type weapon with the features that KelTec has such as the threaded barrel, high cap mag, etc. And even if it were bought and registered before the deadline here in California, wouldn't it be illegal to transfer its ownership to another California resident since it wouldn't have been before the assault weapons ban?

(II may be totally wrong on this since the damned Gun Law PDF i've been reading is so damned ambiguous on what is legal and what isn't. It drives me nuts.

Well those little macs are semi-auto and you can get them without the threaded muzzle. Also, they have 10 rd mags available.

SnWnMe
03-10-2007, 1:50 AM
Well if these Kel Tecs were really hot stuff then why, after four pages of replies, has the one in the classifieds not sold yet for $350?

CALI-gula
03-10-2007, 2:48 AM
Well if these Kel Tecs were really hot stuff then why, after four pages of replies, has the one in the classifieds not sold yet for $350?

Because $350 IS a retail average price for one, and that's inflated if it's a used gun.

I have seen a few as consignment for sale, and I never seen anyone selling them or buying them in CA at the $500 to $700 reported - never. Someone must have made a mistake and is thinking of a different gun. Just one look at these, and I can not imagine anyone paying that much for one, maybe $400 if as new in box and maybe one of the colored frames they made. For anything above $450, get yourself a Colt Mustang Pocketlite or a NAA Guardian if you're going to pay THAT much!

Might someone pay that much? Maybe, but I can't see why. When the Kel-tec P32s were new, they sold for $269.00 at Rettings - I know, because I bought 2 of them, and I am looking at the receipt dated 1/2001. I still have them, they are great little pocket guns and I like them a lot, but I can assure you that paying anything above $350 even for NIB would be foolish. They are cool, but not of a quality or build that should warrant anything above $350.

ts
03-10-2007, 2:56 AM

Take off the threaded barrel, get a 10 round mag. You're set. If your one of the lucky ones you have some high caps.

SnWnMe
03-10-2007, 8:21 AM
Because $350 IS a retail average price for one, and that's inflated if it's a used gun.

I have seen a few as consignment for sale, and I never seen anyone selling them or buying them in CA at the $500 to $700 reported - never. Someone must have made a mistake and is thinking of a different gun. Just one look at these, and I can not imagine anyone paying that much for one, maybe $400 if as new in box and maybe one of the colored frames they made. For anything above $450, get yourself a Colt Mustang Pocketlite or a NAA Guardian if you're going to pay THAT much!

Might someone pay that much? Maybe, but I can't see why. When the Kel-tec P32s were new, they sold for $269.00 at Rettings - I know, because I bought 2 of them, and I am looking at the receipt dated 1/2001. I still have them, they are great little pocket guns and I like them a lot, but I can assure you that paying anything above $350 even for NIB would be foolish. They are cool, but not of a quality or build that should warrant anything above $350.

Dang I inadvertently crapped on someone's FS thread.