PDA

View Full Version : Inherited a Pistol, confused on how to register?

TriCon
12-22-2011, 6:50 PM
My Grandpa died a few years back, he asked before he passed that I get a specific gun that he taught he how to shoot and handle when I was younger. The gun has been in Arizona with my Grandma since his passing and just yesterday my Mom called me up and said she brought it back for me.

So I've been trying to read the wiki (which is a mess fyi, so many dead links) and trying to figure out what I need to do to legally own this pistol. Its a Colt Challenger, .22LR, serial is 66XX-C so I believe it was made around 1950 or so. Does that make it a C&R? Does that change anything?

Do I just fill out this form, send it in with $19 and that's it?
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

Do I need to get a HSC?

Anything else? What do I put for the questions "Who it was obtained from" and "How possession was obtained" in that form?

Appreciate your help, I've been reading for two days and just when I think I have it figured out, I read something new and it throws me for a loop. Here's a pic of the pistol.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-gUdT9CVAVhE/TvPsP5_Bc4I/AAAAAAAAAE8/hKEbxCBD1RI/s1024/IMG_20111221_182447.jpg

Librarian
12-22-2011, 7:07 PM
It's an inheritance; no FFL required.

Do get the HSC; file the form.

Say from: grandfather TriCon, how obtained: inheritance

[[ Sorry about the Wiki - the FAQ is a known problem, and should be fixed in the next week. Are there more? I haven't seen them, but I haven't done a detailed audit, either.]]

TriCon
12-22-2011, 9:04 PM
Thank you very much, that's exactly what I was looking for. I tried to click on quite a few links in the wiki and they usually just took me back to the main wiki page. All the inheritance links were borked. A lot of the links concerning the laws were as well.

This place is an awesome resource for knowledge, appreciate your reply.

bruce381
12-22-2011, 11:32 PM
worth a lot do not sell it without looking up its value maybe 1,000.