PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone removed the gas tube from a Stag 3H upper gas block?

Yeemix
03-08-2007, 5:56 PM
It seems really stuck in there, or I'm not seeing something. I'm replacing it with a YHM low profile block. Do they use some kind of locking glue? Also, I'm about to cut the delta ring off to install the Midwest Industries FF guards, any tips from your experiences?

PIRATE14
03-08-2007, 8:32 PM
It seems really stuck in there, or I'm not seeing something. I'm replacing it with a YHM low profile block. Do they use some kind of locking glue? Also, I'm about to cut the delta ring off to install the Midwest Industries FF guards, any tips from your experiences?

The 3 H block is really thick but it does come out....try and punch it out back the way it came in.....you should be able to see this on the gas block........

I use bolt cutters to cut the Delta ring off and a pair of pliers will handle the snap ring and weld spring......

The midwest ff tube is very easy to install after all the hard stuff has been done......

Yeemix
03-08-2007, 8:36 PM
Right on Pirate14, but I'm not sure what you mean about the gas block. I have both the gas block with tube stuck in it off the barrel, but the damn tube will not budge from the block. I couldn't find any pins holding the tube, just two small ports on the outside of the block

vikingshelmut
05-21-2007, 4:30 PM
You ever figure this out? There is a roll pin holding the gas tube into the gas block. I have the same upper and I had to punch out the roll pin before I could remove the gas tube.

C.G.
05-21-2007, 5:08 PM
You ever figure this out? There is a roll pin holding the gas tube into the gas block. I have the same upper and I had to punch out the roll pin before I could remove the gas tube.

Just make sure you punch it out correctly, from the smaller diameter hole. The pins are tapered. When re-installing they go into the larger diameter holes. I don't know about Stag, but some manufacturers use Loctite to bed the gas block. You may have to heat up the block with a heat gun and tap it off while still hot.

P. S. Didn't read the title correctly, if you are just removing the gas tube from the block, then, as pointed out, there is a pin that needs to be removed and the tool mentioned is great. You may be able to get off with pliers, but I would tape the area first. On the other hand a new tube is about $11.

mltrading
05-21-2007, 5:26 PM
Just make sure you punch it out correctly, from the smaller diameter hole. The pins are tapered. When re-installing they go into the larger diameter holes. I don't know about Stag, but some manufacturers use Loctite to bed the gas block. You may have to heat up the block with a heat gun and tap it off while still hot.

IIRC, the gas tube roll pin is not tapered. The two pins under the FSB are tapered.;)

vikingshelmut
05-21-2007, 5:53 PM
In his case, as was in mine, the front gas block is not a standard front sight block, and is attached only with two hex head screws, and one roll pin used to attach the front sling. This block seems much easier to remove, which is why I bought one!

C.G.
05-21-2007, 8:03 PM
IIRC, the gas tube roll pin is not tapered. The two pins under the FSB are tapered.;)

I misread his title I thought he meant gas block, which is pointed out in P. S.