PDA

View Full Version : DSA FAL CALIFORNIA Model Legal to own?

Ripper
03-08-2007, 6:10 PM
Hi I live in San Diego CA. I went to Turner's Outdoorsman to Order a DSA Fal rifle today,and to my surprize they said that they were not going to order or sale DSA FAL's anymore. The salesman said that the Department of Justice went to there other stores and said the rifles were illegal to sell in this state. Whats going on? I thought they were good to go with the fixed 10rd Mag. Any info would help because I want to buy one of these Rifles.

blacklisted
03-08-2007, 6:15 PM
Yes, they are legal. DSA offers several CA legal models. Try calling one of the other stores and see if you get the same story.

If this story was true, the DOJ would have raided Entreprise a long time ago.

M. Sage
03-08-2007, 6:20 PM
Huh, I can't find any DSA models listed. They'd have had to be listed before the first of this year, too.

Find out who, if anybody, from DOJ said that, if you can.

DV8
03-08-2007, 7:18 PM
A friend told me that Discount Gun Mart has them. You should try there.

Mute
03-08-2007, 7:42 PM
If some DOJ flunky is indeed going around and doing this, he needs to be strung up and run out of town. Harassment under color of authority is despicable especially when they don't have a leg to stand on.

cornholio1
03-08-2007, 7:48 PM
Buy yourself a DSA receiver and build it up. Larry Hirota is a good FAL builder, and GPG on the falfiles sells almost turnkey kits. If you PM me, I know of an outside gunsmith who will buy a genuine DSA FAL and will pin the mag in as long as you provide the maglock.

JPN6336
03-08-2007, 8:09 PM
ya but the ffl with have to get a lawyer and by the time they get around to hearing the case he will be out of buissness. which is the ultimate goal of the higher ups in doj.some of the people in doj actually think some of the stuff they are required to do is stupid but have to. it's like being an E4 and telling a O5 in the military no.it doesn't work that way

I saw an E4 tell a CWO5 no once. Yelling match even. If the E4 (ffl in this case) knows their stuff then they should have the fortitude to stand up to pressure from scare tactics.

cxs2
03-08-2007, 8:10 PM
Hi I live in San Diego CA. I went to Turner's Outdoorsman to Order a DSA Fal rifle today,and to my surprize they said that they were not going to order or sale DSA FAL's anymore. The salesman said that the Department of Justice went to there other stores and said the rifles were illegal to sell in this state. Whats going on? I thought they were good to go with the fixed 10rd Mag. Any info would help because I want to buy one of these Rifles.

It is not illegal but the DOJ issued a memo saying they interpret the law that way. On the DOJ web site there is a memo stating that unless the magazine is permanently fixed, i.e. welded, then they were going to vigorously go after offenders. This is an interpretation of the law and has not been challenged in court. It is the same with JP Rifles.

JP Rifles have a fixed mag that can become unfixed with a tool. They will ship the rifle to California in parts just to make sure they wont get busted and leave the liability to the customer once the gun is assembled by the end user.

Summary: The way the DOJ is interpreting the law, un-permanently fixed magazines are illegal until a court says otherwise.

Tzvia
03-08-2007, 8:26 PM
The memo is a memo. It is not the law. The law is clear on what a detatchable mag is so I won't go over it again. They are only thugs if they 'stongarm' dealers with this nonsense.

Oh, and I'm in my 'cooling off' period for a JLD PTR 91 right now. The mag removes when I disassemble the action-no welding needed. 100% legal.

Addax
03-08-2007, 8:41 PM
Hogwash! That B/S the DOJ is drumming out there is pure Hogwash!

Unfortunetly some dealers bend under the DOJ-Gestapo. I don't blame the dealer who is afraid of getting into a legal situation having to utilze a lawyer and spend allot of $$ doing so, just to make sure DOJ Goons get off their backs.

What surprises me is that Turners would just cut and run away, and not actually stand up and tell the DOJ to show them where they are breaking the law selling a California Compliant (Built for California by DSA) FAL.
I am not a huge fan of Turners, but I would think that if they had enough sense to put a CA Compliant FAL up on their rack for sale, that they would know or at least understand the law regarding a fixed magazine rifle.

I own 4 FAL's and one of them is a DSA FAL and all of them are CA compliant with a pinned mag.

If you want a FAL, you can also order one from a handful of ffl dealers in CA or as was suggested, have one built.

Regards,
Addax