PDA

View Full Version : Big 5's 10 day +1 waiting period

deoxys987
12-20-2011, 8:28 PM
i bought a mauser on special from big 5 on the 10th of dec. and they said i can pick it up on the 21st, and that didnt make sense, but on the dros form it says big 5's policy is that the 10 day wait started the day after the purchase. this doesnt make sense, does it? why would they make me wait 11 days instead of 10?

regalado1
12-20-2011, 8:35 PM
You already answered your own question...their own form says it is their policy...this is not new to Big 5...not really that big of a deal to me, but I don't buy firearms from them either. Eh, its an extra day. Irritating and senseless nonetheless.

tuna quesadilla
12-20-2011, 8:37 PM
Yup, that is their policy. It is also the reason why I do not patronize Big 5 for anything (firearms or otherwise) anymore.

NorCArl
12-20-2011, 8:39 PM
My understanding, from buying a Mossberg at Big 5, is that they are trying to avoid confusion or employee mistakes when people show up on the exact minute of the tenth day hoping to pick up their guns. I know I was pissed for the same reason as you, but they probably have to cover their asses since some guy accidentally got his gun an hour early once and killed himself. Anyway, I don't buy from Big 5 anymore cause I'm too much of a baby to wait the extra day...lol

707electrician
12-20-2011, 8:41 PM
I don't see how it is confusing to count 240 hours from the time of the DROS but I guess it is Big 5.

Big 5 isn't the only place that does this though

Merc1138
12-20-2011, 8:42 PM
i bought a mauser on special from big 5 on the 10th of dec. and they said i can pick it up on the 21st, and that didnt make sense, but on the dros form it says big 5's policy is that the 10 day wait started the day after the purchase. this doesnt make sense, does it? why would they make me wait 11 days instead of 10?

Because they don't trust their employees to not give someone a firearm 2 minutes early on day 10, so their policy is 11 days. They also aren't the only place with an 11 day policy either(not including regular gun shops that might be closed on pickup day, causing an 11-12 day wait).

If the corporate management is paranoid about the possibility of an employee being that dumb, and risking their ability to sell firearms at all because of it, then so be it. Shop elsewhere, or wait 11 days.

Merc1138
12-20-2011, 8:44 PM
I don't see how it is confusing to count 240 hours from the time of the DROS but I guess it is Big 5.

Unfortunately society seems to have gotten so bad about things, that some grocery stores put pictures of the coins on the screen to show how many of each to hand back to the customer as their change. Legal departments want butts covered, management agrees, then you end up with an 11 day policy.

Don the savage
12-20-2011, 8:44 PM
Their game their rules. Turns out big 5 doesnt exactly have the best trained staff. My buddy worked for big5 in the 90's and they barely paid minimum wage.
While he worked there one of the associates sold a 22 rifle to a customer with no paper work along with a box of double ought buck he said worked in the rifle. the guy was walking out the door when a manager noticed something amiss and stopped the transaction.
It's not a gun store. We should be happy they still sell guns in the PRK. Think of all the companies that used to sell guns(Kmart, Walmart,sports authority) all no mas. They are just protecting their license.

Merc1138
12-20-2011, 8:46 PM
Their game their rules. Turns out big 5 doesnt exactly have the best trained staff. My buddy worked for big5 in the 90's and they barely paid minimum wage.
While he worked there one of the associates sold a 22 rifle to a customer with no paper work along with a box of double ought buck he said worked in the rifle. the guy was walking out the door when a manager noticed something amiss and stopped the transaction.
It's not a gun store. We should be happy they still sell guns in the PRK. Think of all the companies that used to sell guns(Kmart, Walmart,sports authority) all no mas. They are just protecting their license.

Sports Authority(outside of the LA, SD, and Bay area) still sells guns here in CA.

Drivedabizness
12-20-2011, 8:50 PM
A major dealer here in the Sacramento area (its not in Sac) sells a lot of Black Rifles - they do 10+1 too.

:)

MXRider
12-20-2011, 8:55 PM
My local gun shop does an 11 day wait too. They are afraid an employee will make a mistake and the state will bite them in the *** for it. I can't say I blame them.

TheExpertish
12-20-2011, 8:58 PM
Sports Authority(outside of the LA, SD, and Bay area) still sells guns here in CA.
I really wish I had known that when I worked for them. My discount would have come in mighty handy.

Bigtwin
12-20-2011, 9:13 PM
Yep there rules, may not coincide 100% with the law, but you have the ability to go elsewhere! I do from time to time buy from Big 5....I know what I am getting in to. Not a big deal!

Some folks seem to get bent over the +1 day thing...I don't!

They make it out like big 5 is screwing them out of their liberties!

billped
12-20-2011, 9:23 PM
It isn't actually 11 days. You can buy it at 5pm on day 0 and pick it up at 9am (or whenever they open) on day 11. So in that case you are getting it at 9am the next morning instead of 5:01 the day before. Yeah, still sucks, but it is easier to count days than hours/minutes and Big 5 figured it wasn't worth losing its license.

If it ticks you off, shop elsewhere. It isn't like this is the only reason to not like Big5.

Bill

digitalelf
12-20-2011, 9:41 PM
Unfortunately society seems to have gotten so bad about things

This is not a new trend. We have had warning labels like "Caution: Coffee may be hot", or "Do not use this hair-dryer in the bathtub" for over 20 odd years now...

Merc1138
12-20-2011, 10:09 PM
This is not a new trend. We have had warning labels like "Caution: Coffee may be hot", or "Do not use this hair-dryer in the bathtub" for over 20 odd years now...

Yeah.. it's just that things seem to have gotten progressively worse. First people forget coffee is hot, then they forget how to count coins from the 1st grade. Frankly, if I were running Big 5 I'd probably do the same unless I happened to be there to supervise everything.

Mail Clerk
12-21-2011, 6:21 AM

deoxys,

For myself no big deal one extra day. It's all due to insurance to cover Big 5 and try to satisfy the customer at the same time.

You think one extra day is bad???? Remember long ago when Bee and Bee Sales was around??? Those days they didn't start counting until 2 days after they took your money. Sure during those days I too wondered but what else can you do.

Mail Clerk

Don29palms
12-21-2011, 6:33 AM
Anyone still remember the 15 day waiting period?

Socalman
12-21-2011, 8:14 AM
As mentioned they are covering their behind with a 10+1 waiting period. They make a profit on gun sales. One little screw up and the next thing you know the State of California is fining them beyond an entire year's profit or pulling their license. As mentioned you can go elsewhere, but most stores aren't going to give you a Mossberg 590 for the sale price on a basic 500 like I got!

evidens83
12-21-2011, 8:19 AM
BFD :willy_nilly:

icenix
12-21-2011, 9:21 AM
Who cares, it's just a day. I have waited my 10 days on two different guns in the last month, so I know how those 10 days suck, but still, 10 or 11, big deal.

monk
12-21-2011, 9:23 AM
My understanding, from buying a Mossberg at Big 5, is that they are trying to avoid confusion or employee mistakes when people show up on the exact minute of the tenth day hoping to pick up their guns. I know I was pissed for the same reason as you, but they probably have to cover their asses since some guy accidentally got his gun an hour early once and killed himself. Anyway, I don't buy from Big 5 anymore cause I'm too much of a baby to wait the extra day...lol

Would that extra hour have prevented the guy from not killing himself? I mean if he had 9.9 days to think about it, you'd think he was pretty set on offing himself.

HonkingAntelope
12-21-2011, 9:52 AM
They are just looking out for their customers. After all, if someone wants to commit a mass murder, Big 5 wants their customers to spend an extra day planning and making sure everything goes off without a hitch!

roushstage2
12-21-2011, 10:01 AM
A major dealer here in the Sacramento area (its not in Sac) sells a lot of Black Rifles - they do 10+1 too.

They do indeed (if were are in fact thinking of the same one). I had to wait 12 for my lower because day 11 fell on a Sunday of course! lol

Wicked K5
12-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Bass Pro does 11 also. Practically 12 with as long as you have to wait to do your paperwork then the pick up process...

Soldier415
12-21-2011, 12:03 PM

Because they don't trust their employees to not give someone a firearm 2 minutes early on day 10, so their policy is 11 days. They also aren't the only place with an 11 day policy either(not including regular gun shops that might be closed on pickup day, causing an 11-12 day wait).

If the corporate management is paranoid about the possibility of an employee being that dumb, and risking their ability to sell firearms at all because of it, then so be it. Shop elsewhere, or wait 11 days.

My local gun shop does an 11 day wait too. They are afraid an employee will make a mistake and the state will bite them in the *** for it. I can't say I blame them.

Why do you assume it is the employee? I'd bet money that it is the customers that cant count 10 24-hour periods and show up on the 10th day at 10am to pick up a gun they DROS'ed at 5PM and giving the staff hell demanding his gun.

Merc1138
12-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Why do you assume it is the employee? I'd bet money that it is the customers that cant count 10 24-hour periods and show up on the 10th day at 10am to pick up a gun they DROS'ed at 5PM and giving the staff hell demanding his gun.
And the problem is if the employee hands the gun over early. It doesn't matter if the customer walks in on day 5 demanding the gun. If the employee hands it over early, the employee has screwed up. If it's company policy that the employees can't hand it over till day 11, then they can't hand it to a customer 2 minutes early.

vintagearms
12-21-2011, 12:17 PM
BFD :willy_nilly:

EXACTLY ! Let the F in whiners get their own FFL and see what loops they have to go thru. I don't blame Big 5 one bit.

beretta929mm
12-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Target Master at Milpitas does the same

Schrodinger's Cat
12-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Bought a 22 at Sports Authority in Concord and they do the same.

Wherryj
12-21-2011, 12:56 PM
They are just looking out for their customers. After all, if someone wants to commit a mass murder, Big 5 wants their customers to spend an extra day planning and making sure everything goes off without a hitch!

That's ludicrous. Obviously no one could possibly plan ten days in advance. Politicians can't even plan a day in advance, thus no one else could.

vincewarde
12-21-2011, 1:11 PM
Don't forget that Walmart no longer sells firearms in CA because their low paid staff could not figure out the laws and consistently comply with them. Knowing CA gun laws - even those relating to long guns - is significantly harder than what is required in states where Federal law is about all there is.

Here you have to nearly be a lawyer to own a gun, and you have to know even more to sell them.

DesertSniper
12-21-2011, 1:15 PM
bass pro does the same thing! not a big deal though...

RAMCHARGER
12-21-2011, 2:29 PM
The Girl at my local big 5 that sold me my last rifle was smokin hot. She can make me wait 14 days on my knees tied in duct tape for all i care and i'll still come back for more....

xrMike
12-21-2011, 2:49 PM
10 days, 11 days, who cares? It's definitely not worth getting twisted over.

xrMike
12-21-2011, 2:51 PM

Spoken like a true gun store employee! :p

(But seriously, you're right.)

bloodhawke83
12-21-2011, 3:28 PM

I never had problems with it, i just like the policy to be stated why and I got my answers.

DennisCA
12-21-2011, 3:42 PM

Their game - their rules - It just that simple!

I it know sucks but what can you do?:(
:oji:

drifter2be
12-21-2011, 3:43 PM
My question is why would anyone buy anything firearm related from Big 5? Even their "sale" prices are a joke. Only time I will go in there is if they have something in stock that I feel like fondling something when I am considering buying, but would never actually buy it from them. Sucks because there is only one other gun store in my town and their prices are pretty high for what they are selling.

JAGACIDA
12-21-2011, 3:59 PM
Extreme compliance is the term. Like when traveling with my guns, Guns locked in a case, ammo locked in a separate container, just in case I happened to be searched or whatever. And yes I do know they can travel together but..

DennisCA
12-21-2011, 4:16 PM
My question is why would anyone buy anything firearm related from Big 5? Even their "sale" prices are a joke. Only time I will go in there is if they have something in stock that I feel like fondling something when I am considering buying, but would never actually buy it from them. Sucks because there is only one other gun store in my town and their prices are pretty high for what they are selling.

Yea I know their prices are pretty high!
I bought my first Mosin at Big 5; a $99 gun turned into $140 by the time the tax and DROS fees was added (oh yea they made me buy a gun lock too!).:facepalm:
Then I got smart a got a FFL-should've done that in the first place; live and learn!
I'm assuming you have a FFL?

teebiss
12-21-2011, 4:37 PM
At my Big5 the 10 days does not include the day you fill out the paperwork or the day you pick the firearm up.

roushstage2
12-21-2011, 10:21 PM
At my Big5 the 10 days does not include the day you fill out the paperwork
That would make it 11 days total, as per Big5 policy...
or the day you pick the firearm up....then either you are picking up the gun on the 11th day, or are you saying they make you wait another day after the 11th, for 12 total days?

Either way, BFD, but just curious.

LovingTheYear1911
12-22-2011, 9:13 AM
Big deal, it's just a day. Most shops do this so customers don't come in too early on the tenth day only to be told they can't receive their firearm yet.

pratchett
12-22-2011, 11:34 AM
I just checked their corporate web site, and they have 406 retail stores in 12 states.

They have to comply with a federal agency that regularly harasses FFLs out of existence for purely political reasons. That's the same federal agency that violated national and international law by allowing the shipment of thousands of military-pattern rifles directly into the hands of cartel enforcers, because they wanted to make it harder for FFLs like Big 5 to sell firearms.

Then they have to comply with 12 sets of state laws, only one of which is California's patchwork of contradictory, subjective, and nonsensical laws created by illiterate crack-addled monkeys masquerading as lawmakers in Sacramento.

After managing to comply with both the letter and the spirit of all of California's firearms laws, they still have to worry about any one of 58 politically-motivated district attorneys who even CA DOJ says they can't control.

Finally, they have to comply with municipalities with a "So sue me!" attitude who create firearms laws that clearly violate state law, federal law, and the Constitution.

And their lowest-paid hourly employee could make a four-hour mistake that would bring every one of those entities crashing down on their heads at a moment's notice.

Not only do I not have a problem with their "11th day" policy, if I were in their shoes, I'd do exactly the same thing, and so would you. I'm also surprised at how some of you would boycott their store because of a common-sense policy that means you go without your firearm for less than a day. We ought to be giving them all the business we can simply for having the testicular fortitude to sell guns here at all.

God, I swear sometimes CA gun owners are our own worst enemy.

STAGE 2
12-22-2011, 3:37 PM
10 days, 11 days, who cares? It's definitely not worth getting twisted over.

10 rounds 15 rounds, who cares. Its definitely not worth getting twisted over.

Withholding property is withholding property. The law is quite specific and once 10 24 hour periods are over they have no justification not to give me my firearm.

roushstage2
12-22-2011, 4:09 PM

Withholding property is withholding property. The law is quite specific and once 10 24 hour periods are over they have no justification not to give me my firearm.
Yeah they do. They told you it would be 11 days before you purchased it (if they told you after, it's your bad for not asking and understanding what their policy is beforehand). Don't like it? Don't give them your money and then ***** later.

Merc1138
12-22-2011, 4:30 PM

Uhh, no.

The law says they can't give it to you before 240 hours has passed. It does not say they can't have a policy to hold it another 24 hours if they want to. You should do a better job of actually reading paperwork and store policies before you make agreements you don't like.

Be a smart consumer, don't be the idiot in the store screaming at the clerk because you failed to notice something.

EODWRX
12-22-2011, 5:41 PM
You could always move to a state that has no waiting period. If you need to live in California that bad then you get to wait. I love living outside of California, and they still let me visit, amazing!

Colt-45
12-22-2011, 5:57 PM
I know it sucks.

But, just wait it out or go somewhere else are the only viable options.

tuna quesadilla
12-22-2011, 7:18 PM
Not only do I not have a problem with their "11th day" policy, if I were in their shoes, I'd do exactly the same thing, and so would you. I'm also surprised at how some of you would boycott their store because of a common-sense policy that means you go without your firearm for less than a day. We ought to be giving them all the business we can simply for having the testicular fortitude to sell guns here at all.

Let me just say I will be SO happy to be leaving behind people who actually think like this ^^^^^^^ when I move to Arizona in February. Who, exactly, is our own worst enemy... Me, or YOU?

pratchett
12-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Just to be straight:

You want personal liberty, as long as he's not running a corporation?

Good to know.

daveinwoodland
12-23-2011, 11:56 AM
I've been told by more then one dealer that the DOJ regularly recommends this to the license holders. I guess limiting your liability under the circumstances is justified to the dealers that participate in the extra day.

tuna quesadilla
12-23-2011, 9:14 PM
Just to be straight:

You want personal liberty, as long as he's not running a corporation?

Good to know.

Big 5 has the freedom to set whatever stupid policy they choose.

I have the freedom to spend my dollar at the most competent shop (read: Not Big 5)

I also have the freedom to tell you to BUZZ OFF when you try to tell me that I (AND I QUOTE) "ought to be giving all the business I can"

Why should I give them any business when there are companies that do a far better job of supporting CA gun owners? What is so hard about hiring [b]competent employees and giving them proper training?

I shop exclusively at OC Indoor, Riflegear, and Field Time because they are staffed by competent employees who know what the hell they're doing. Why should I "be giving [Big 5] all the business I can" when Big 5 can't be bothered to put forth the smallest modicum of effort in treating the customer right?

Elmer Fudds and gang bangers can buy their guns at Big 5. Me? I'll spend my dollar at a shop that actually gives a damn about gun rights in California.

vintagearms
12-23-2011, 9:27 PM

Firearm businesses and dealing with the BATFE are quite different than running, say a laundrymat. The law does not state the firearm has to be released that second, or even that day. The law just states when the earliest time it can be released to the purchaser. They are erring on the side of caution...

xrMike
12-24-2011, 3:05 PM
Withholding property is withholding property.It's not withholding anything. That's their stated policy. You knew it and agreed to it before you paid. :confused:

tuna quesadilla
12-24-2011, 6:19 PM
It's not withholding anything. That's their stated policy. You knew it and agreed to it before you paid. :confused:

You're obviously OK with Big 5's policy.

Where would you draw the line, xrMike?

12 days?

13 days?

14 days?

15 days?

30 days?

60 days?

365 days?

jigggawatt
12-24-2011, 6:37 PM
I'm used to it now. One Christmas Eve I wanted to pick up my sons shotgun from Bass Pro Shops my ten days were up. The eleventh day would've been Christmas. I asked to talk to the manager. We discussed the legal wait was 10 days. I walked out with the gun. Now I plan ahead and buy from yzernie and always get my guns on time.

NealDA
12-24-2011, 6:48 PM
I had the same problem :(

icenix
12-24-2011, 7:15 PM

12 days?

13 days?

14 days?

15 days?

30 days?

60 days?

365 days?

Now you are trying to make an argument for something that doesn't exist. He isn't saying a 12, 15, 30, etc. wouldn't be a big deal. He is saying one extra day isn't that big of a deal. I had to wait 11 days at a gun shop, not because they wouldn't let me get it on the 10th, but because the 10th day was a Sunday and they weren't open. Who cares. It wasn't a big deal for me to wait one extra day, not because I didn't have a choice, but because I am an adult and have self control and patience. That isn't to say I don't want my gun on the 10th day, but one extra day at Big 5 or anywhere else isn't that big of a deal if that is their policy. Now, you start adding days, and yes, it would start to be a problem, but one that is easily solved by not shopping there in the first place if that is your decision.

You are also arguing the ability of Big 5's workers. I have never bought a gun at Big 5, but I have been in there and bought ammo there. Most of the workers I see there are younger people, college kids, etc. In most cases they aren't "gun people", they are people who have a job, much like those at Target, the grocery store, etc. I don't think they need to hire "gun people", they aren't a gun shop per say.

And add on top of that that I have been to several "gun shops" that have workers who supposedly do know what they are doing, but it is obvious that they don't know much about particular guns or gun laws.

Seesm
12-24-2011, 9:28 PM
MOST shops are doing this because if it is let out 1 MINUTE yes only 1 minute prior to the 10 day time deal it will be a hit on the FFL...
Please note at 3 hits and they are out of business... And when I said out of business it means you can not buy from them anymore... It's just a way to cover there butts...
I can't blame them AT ALL...

Merc1138
12-24-2011, 9:46 PM
MOST shops are doing this because if it is let out 1 MINUTE yes only 1 minute prior to the 10 day time deal it will be a hit on the FFL...
Please note at 3 hits and they are out of business... And when I said out of business it means you can not buy from them anymore... It's just a way to cover there butts...

I wasn't aware that they got 2 chances, that's good. However people seem to forget that some of these shops have idiot employees and a government that wants to see them shut down.

Seesm
12-24-2011, 11:01 PM
I wasn't aware that they got 2 chances, that's good. However people seem to forget that some of these shops have idiot employees and a government that wants to see them shut down.

Well 3 chances really.. But note if they spell something wrong or release a gun early or almost ANYTHING... All in 1 week (3 things wrong) THEY ARE DONE... The powers that b DO NOT WANT THEM SELLING GUNS... So 11 days seems ok to me till CGF gets the wait period ALL GONE..

Cali-Shooter
12-24-2011, 11:05 PM
I'm glad I don't buy firearms from Big 5. An extra unnecessary day on top of the 10 day wait would set off my impatience into a blind rage.

Air
12-25-2011, 6:16 AM
Gun World in Burbank does this as well....

FWIW, I don't shop at Gun World, I had to do a PPT there recently. 11 day wait, plus they force you to buy a gun lock at a gouged price. Won't be going back. EVER.

tuna quesadilla
12-25-2011, 7:50 AM
Now you are trying to make an argument for something that doesn't exist. He isn't saying a 12, 15, 30, etc. wouldn't be a big deal. He is saying one extra day isn't that big of a deal. I had to wait 11 days at a gun shop, not because they wouldn't let me get it on the 10th, but because the 10th day was a Sunday and they weren't open. Who cares. It wasn't a big deal for me to wait one extra day, not because I didn't have a choice, but because I am an adult and have self control and patience. That isn't to say I don't want my gun on the 10th day, but one extra day at Big 5 or anywhere else isn't that big of a deal if that is their policy. Now, you start adding days, and yes, it would start to be a problem, but one that is easily solved by not shopping there in the first place if that is your decision.

Nice personal attack.

It's not about self control and patience. It's a matter of principle. You said yourself that one extra day/24hrs is A-OK. So where exactly does it become a problem? 24 hours and 1 minute? 25 hours? 26 hours?

You are also arguing the ability of Big 5's workers. I have never bought a gun at Big 5, but I have been in there and bought ammo there. Most of the workers I see there are younger people, college kids, etc. In most cases they aren't "gun people", they are people who have a job, much like those at Target, the grocery store, etc. I don't think they need to hire "gun people", they aren't a gun shop per say.

And add on top of that that I have been to several "gun shops" that have workers who supposedly do know what they are doing, but it is obvious that they don't know much about particular guns or gun laws.

If they're so scared of the big bad DOJ, a wiser business decision would be to hire employees that are actually worth a damn. That goes for all gun shops, not just Big 5. I can walk into Riflegear and strike up an intelligent conversation about ARs with any given employee behind the counter. Try that at any Big 5 I've been to and you get a blank stare.

kemasa
12-25-2011, 8:37 AM
Yep there rules, may not coincide 100% with the law, but you have the ability to go elsewhere!

There is nothing in the law which requires them to give the firearm out one minute after the waiting period is over. Clocks can be off, which can be an issue and it is easy to make a mistake in the hours/minutes, harder to do with days (I don't force 11 days, just giving the reasons). Also, the inspector can make mistakes when they look at the paperwork, especially with firearms sold in Feb.

Anyone still remember the 15 day waiting period?

Actually it was 10 days with 5 days for the mail.

Yes, they do have justification and the law is quite specific, just not in what you think it is. The firearm can not be transferred before the waiting period is up and can not be transferred if it is not picked up within 30 days. There is NOTHING in the law which states that a FFL has to hand it over 1 minute after the waiting period is up. It is NOT your firearm UNTIL the paperwork is finished. Please show otherwise.

Personally, I don't agree with it, although I admit it makes it less likely to make a mistake, but it is their choice and yours. If you don't like it, then don't buy from a place that does that.

roushstage2
12-25-2011, 8:39 AM
Should we all start crying too that some gun shops aren't open on Sundays, which might be the 10th day for someone so they are forcing us to wait an eleventh day because they won't force an employee to be there on watch for those who can pick up a gun that day at 9:17AM? I wish the biggest f'n deal in my life was having to wait an extra day or not to pick up a gun. :rolleyes:

tuna quesadilla
12-25-2011, 8:56 AM
Should we all start crying too that some gun shops aren't open on Sundays, which might be the 10th day for someone so they are forcing us to wait an eleventh day because they won't force an employee to be there on watch for those who can pick up a gun that day at 9:17AM? I wish the biggest f'n deal in my life was having to wait an extra day or not to pick up a gun. :rolleyes:

You are either trolling or do not understand what we are discussing here. :facepalm:

Cali-Shooter
12-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Gun World in Burbank does this as well....

FWIW, I don't shop at Gun World, I had to do a PPT there recently. 11 day wait, plus they force you to buy a gun lock at a gouged price. Won't be going back. EVER.

Reminds me of Guns Direct in Burbank also. How's $20.00 paid for a red generic cable lock that is normally priced at $5.00? Throw in the condescending attitude by the store owner and him openly stating how much of a disservice the PPT customer is doing the shop ("This is a LAST PPT we will be doing TODAY!") as gravy on top!

xrMike
12-25-2011, 10:41 PM

12 days?

365 days?

Not sure really, but I don't have a problem with an extra day. If I did, I'd buy elsewhere.

Who cares. It wasn't a big deal for me to wait one extra day, not because I didn't have a choice, but because I am an adult and have self control and patience.

Exactly. As a mature adult who understands the pleasures of delayed gratification, buying another gun is nothing to get too excited over. Once you've been around the block a few times, you learn to savor the foreplay a little... ;)

@ tuna quesadilla --> Now if you're a just a young scrub looking to bust your first nut, well, I guess I can understand your impatience. But trust me, this too shall pass, grasshopper.

If you don't like it, then don't buy from a place that does that.Boom! There it is.

vintagearms
12-25-2011, 10:47 PM

That's actually happened to me. Instead of moaning and *****ing about it like a little whinning pu$$y, I just picked it up on Monday afternoon. No biggie. :facepalm:

johnthomas
12-25-2011, 11:20 PM
A couple of months ago a guy came into the big5 while I was the browsing. 29th day, no receipt, no safe model number. He was mad he could not get it. He said he will be back in a week and stormed out. I was leaving, he was sitting there complaining to his wife. I walked over and told him not to get upset at me, but if he waited over 30 days, he will have to DROS again, pay and wait for 11 more days. He said if that were true, they would have told him. I told him they didn't have a chance. In he went, I left, lol.

icenix
12-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Not sure really, but I don't have a problem with an extra day. If I did, I'd buy elsewhere.

Exactly. As a mature adult who understands the pleasures of delayed gratification, buying another gun is nothing to get too excited over. Once you've been around the block a few times, you learn to savor the foreplay a little... ;)

@ tuna quesadilla --> Now if you're a just a young scrub looking to bust your first nut, well, I guess I can understand your impatience. But trust me, this too shall pass, grasshopper.

Boom! There it is.

Love it!! haha

icenix
12-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Nice personal attack.

It's not about self control and patience. It's a matter of principle. You said yourself that one extra day/24hrs is A-OK. So where exactly does it become a problem? 24 hours and 1 minute? 25 hours? 26 hours?

If they're so scared of the big bad DOJ, a wiser business decision would be to hire employees that are actually worth a damn. That goes for all gun shops, not just Big 5. I can walk into Riflegear and strike up an intelligent conversation about ARs with any given employee behind the counter. Try that at any Big 5 I've been to and you get a blank stare.

Not meant as a personal attack at all. Just saying, 1 day isn't a big deal to wait because I have patience and can handle it, but yeah, you start adding days then I would have a problem, but that isn't the problem we are talking about at all in this thread. We are talking about 1 day, not more than that. Like I said, yeah, you start adding more days and then I would have a problem, well, even then, not really because I just wouldn't buy from that particular place, where ever it may be.

roushstage2
12-25-2011, 11:43 PM
You are either trolling or do not understand what we are discussing here. :facepalm:
I understand perfectly well what is going on here. It's been very clearly stated by you over, and over, and over and over again. You've got your panties in a bunch over a store that has an 11-day wait policy.
That's actually happened to me. Instead of moaning and *****ing about it like a little whinning pu$$y, I just picked it up on Monday afternoon. No biggie. :facepalm:
Word. My 11th day fell on a Sunday (and no, it wasn't at Big 5), so on the 12th day, Monday, I picked it up. No BFD. Life went on.

spencerk
12-26-2011, 2:22 AM
its funny... big five always has a gun "specialist" in there store, but everytime i go into one in my area (there are 3... dont ask cus i dont know), i end up teaching that "specialist" a thing or two about guns and ammo him/herself. they know almost nothing of their own products (sports authority is worse, i asked about their ammo and the dude started reading the bullet points on the back of box and sounded like he just came off of a 10 day oxy binge... pinned eyes as red as the devil's dingus). plus most of the people who work at the gun counter seem to be anti guns... and i know this because one of my friends works there and constantly tells me about how many of them keep trying to get people to NOT buy guns by saying they dont work that well... makes me wonder how i always see people buying rifles there constantly...

and then the local gun store (i will NOT say names because i DO respect some of the people there and believe they are just having a lot of bad luck) sold me a mauser they promised wouldnt destroy itself and the stock managed disassemble itsself after about 10 rounds...

I think its just the area i live in but i do support big 5. i love the deals they have on knives and im currently pulling an all nighter to pay for a rifle i put on hold christmas eve that was supposed to be today but as i was on my way home i remembered that the card they put on the rifle said 12/24 and 12/25 for the hold dates... they werent even open xmas day so hopefully somebody gets that idea. its the last one they have and it will take the spot for 3 rifles in gunsmithing school because of its lack of basic features lol (mossberg 817 doesnt have: sling swivel studs, sights, or a recoil pad) and thats 3 classes that normally requires 2 or 3 separate rifles. and at the price its at, it will save me hundreds.

The one good thing i can say about big five is that they seem to have good prices on everything they actually have in stock. accept mosin-nagants... they jumped up to 120 on SALE... down from 230 apparantly... I honestly cant believe how much time i spend going from big 5 to big 5... they are only 10-15 mins apart at the MAX and they all have different stock it seems. they even have random featureless ak's in stock...

I swear big 5 is the most confusing store. they are all so diffent even though they look exactly the same

roushstage2
12-26-2011, 11:05 AM
It is interesting to hear how different all of the Big 5's are. To keep it simple, the people working at the Big 5 up here know plenty. I've never been told incorrect information or had them simply read info off of a box, though, I don't try to play a game of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire with them either.

rojocorsa
12-26-2011, 12:47 PM
I just checked their corporate web site, and they have 406 retail stores in 12 states.

They have to comply with a federal agency that regularly harasses FFLs out of existence for purely political reasons. That's the same federal agency that violated national and international law by allowing the shipment of thousands of military-pattern rifles directly into the hands of cartel enforcers, because they wanted to make it harder for FFLs like Big 5 to sell firearms.

Then they have to comply with 12 sets of state laws, only one of which is California's patchwork of contradictory, subjective, and nonsensical laws created by illiterate crack-addled monkeys masquerading as lawmakers in Sacramento.

After managing to comply with both the letter and the spirit of all of California's firearms laws, they still have to worry about any one of 58 politically-motivated district attorneys who even CA DOJ says they can't control.

Finally, they have to comply with municipalities with a "So sue me!" attitude who create firearms laws that clearly violate state law, federal law, and the Constitution.

And their lowest-paid hourly employee could make a four-hour mistake that would bring every one of those entities crashing down on their heads at a moment's notice.

/thread

The first rule is alway to cover your @zz.

Also, I hate the waiting period as much as the next guy, but *****ing about it here is such a "first world problem."

CGF is suing the bastards and challenging them on it. Let's hope they win.

Merc1138
12-26-2011, 1:06 PM
/thread

The first rule is alway to cover your @zz.

Also, I hate the waiting period as much as the next guy, but *****ing about it here is such a "first world problem."

CGF is suing the bastards and challenging them on it. Let's hope they win.

Exactly. It's not like Big5 would make their standard policy(which some managers are willing to bypass on occasion. Throwing a tantrum doesn't make that happen) an 11 day wait or even a 1 day wait if CA didn't have such a stupid policy with penalties to begin with. It's not like any retail store wants to waste the space hanging onto inventory after it's already been sold.

icenix
12-26-2011, 9:57 PM
its funny... big five always has a gun "specialist" in there store, but everytime i go into one in my area (there are 3... dont ask cus i dont know), i end up teaching that "specialist" a thing or two about guns and ammo him/herself. they know almost nothing of their own products (sports authority is worse, i asked about their ammo and the dude started reading the bullet points on the back of box and sounded like he just came off of a 10 day oxy binge... pinned eyes as red as the devil's dingus). plus most of the people who work at the gun counter seem to be anti guns... and i know this because one of my friends works there and constantly tells me about how many of them keep trying to get people to NOT buy guns by saying they dont work that well... makes me wonder how i always see people buying rifles there constantly...

and then the local gun store (i will NOT say names because i DO respect some of the people there and believe they are just having a lot of bad luck) sold me a mauser they promised wouldnt destroy itself and the stock managed disassemble itsself after about 10 rounds...

I think its just the area i live in but i do support big 5. i love the deals they have on knives and im currently pulling an all nighter to pay for a rifle i put on hold christmas eve that was supposed to be today but as i was on my way home i remembered that the card they put on the rifle said 12/24 and 12/25 for the hold dates... they werent even open xmas day so hopefully somebody gets that idea. its the last one they have and it will take the spot for 3 rifles in gunsmithing school because of its lack of basic features lol (mossberg 817 doesnt have: sling swivel studs, sights, or a recoil pad) and thats 3 classes that normally requires 2 or 3 separate rifles. and at the price its at, it will save me hundreds.

The one good thing i can say about big five is that they seem to have good prices on everything they actually have in stock. accept mosin-nagants... they jumped up to 120 on SALE... down from 230 apparantly... I honestly cant believe how much time i spend going from big 5 to big 5... they are only 10-15 mins apart at the MAX and they all have different stock it seems. they even have random featureless ak's in stock...

I swear big 5 is the most confusing store. they are all so diffent even though they look exactly the same

Oh, the people at the Big 5 nearest to me know nothing. In fact, most of them are young girls who are just working in the store. I don't know about the other ones in town though. I imagine the one that is farther away from me and that has been there for a long time probably has someone more familiar with guns working there since it is a bigger store, but who knows. I only buy ammo there when it is on sale and I can't make it to Walmart or somewhere else.

As for Sports Authority, I was there recently because I had a gift card and the guys who were working in the gun area were more than willing to help me, even though I didn't need their help. I overheard them talking to others and they seemed to know stuff, but how much, I don't know.

I imagine the reason some people buy guns at Big 5 or Sports Authority (I never have) are either new to guns, or buying a good deal, or are people who are scared away form the gun shops because they are treated like crap. I know there is one gun shop in town, actually two now that I think about it, that I won't buy from or go into again because they are *****holes. They are basically a good 'ol boys club and treat everyone who isn't a regular like they are stupid. The last time I went in there to look at a handgun I wasn't there more than 2 minutes and the guys' attitude changed from "I am here to help" to "Are you going to buy something or not?" Literally, he made it 2 minutes until I was wasting his time - and I was seriously shopping. So, it is crap like that that probably make some people buy guns at places like Sports Authority and Big 5, other than if they just have a good deal on something.

pratchett
12-27-2011, 7:35 PM
Nice personal attack.

Personal attack, sweetheart?

Were you the same guy who insinuated that I personally was an enemy to freedom? I just said gunowners in general tended to be our own worst enemy. You pointed the finger at me, and now you want to call the moral high ground?

Doesn't work that way.

chuck1024
12-27-2011, 7:59 PM

Are you kidding? Big 5's sale prices blow away any other brick and mortar gun shop, at least in the Bay Area. I kinda feel bad buying from them instead of the small locally owned gun shops , but not for a difference of $200. My Savage .30-06 was $399 befor tax and fees. My camo Mossberg 500 with 2 barrels was about $400 out the door with DROS, tax and some slugs.

Yeah there are better prices online, but not after you add shipping, DROS and dealer fees.

I support them because I want them to stay in the business of selling guns near me. Their ammo is overpriced though. Their hunting gear is kind shoddy but pretty cheap and frequently on sale. Plus they are literally the only game in town for hunting clothes and gear.

chuck1024
12-27-2011, 8:09 PM
Plus the the regular gun counter staff at my Big 5 actually do know a thing or two about guns. And even if they don't know everything, at least they are definitely pro-gun--and that's in the Bay Area. When I was picking up my shotgun the rather hot chick carrying a Mossberg box across the sales floor would nkt help me--because she was actually just off duty and buying the shotgun for herself while it was still on sale for something around $250. Soothe other hot chick got my shotgun and checked me out. Now maybe the seemed extra hot because they were into guns, but still.

I try to make it in at least once a week to see what's on sale.

SoCal Bob
12-27-2011, 8:22 PM
It is a corporate decision that is out of the hands of the store level employees. Is it annoying? Yes! But, knowing about it, have I bought rifles on sale there? Yes, I have. I don't find it anymore annoying than having to wait an extra day or two because the LGS was closed on the 10th day.

DasBoost
12-27-2011, 8:30 PM
I only use Big5 for their sales prices; got the Mini about $100 cheaper than any local gun store (plus the guy at the counter took an additional $35 off to cover DROS and threw in a box of ammo as well; do they get commission?:confused:) and their coupons that apply to ammo and the "Save $XX when you purchase $XX or more" as some of those don't exclude ammo or the managers are cool. I still need to try the Sports Authority in Concord though off of 80W.

johnthomas
12-27-2011, 10:01 PM
If I have a problem with big5 it would be, when I ask and I always do, what kind of guns do you own, most of the time the response is, I don't have any. A least in the shoe department you know they have some experience with shoes and how they should fit.

PrimerDust360
12-27-2011, 10:26 PM
HA! I picked up my AR-15 lower today from my local gun store after only 237 hours! I did the DROS at 4:00 PM and picked it up on my lunch break at 1:00 PM. WIN!

PrimerDust360
12-27-2011, 10:28 PM
I only use Big5 for their sales prices; got the Mini about $100 cheaper than any local gun store (plus the guy at the counter took an additional $35 off to cover DROS and threw in a box of ammo as well; do they get commission?:confused:) and their coupons that apply to ammo and the "Save $XX when you purchase $XX or more" as some of those don't exclude ammo or the managers are cool. I still need to try the Sports Authority in Concord though off of 80W.

Sports Authority in Santa Rosa only seems to have BB/Pellet/Airsoft. Unless they have a secret back room I don't know about.

tuna quesadilla
12-27-2011, 11:03 PM
I understand perfectly well what is going on here. It's been very clearly stated by you over, and over, and over and over again. You've got your panties in a bunch over a store that has an 11-day wait policy.

Nope, I was right. You don't understand.

Once you've been around the block a few times, you learn to savor the foreplay a little... ;)

Boom! There it is.

So anybody who has a problem with the erosion of gun rights and ambivalent gun owners is a basement-dwelling loser? Nice insinuation. Keep the personal attacks flowing, guys. :)

Kappy
12-27-2011, 11:21 PM
The pisser I had to deal with was when I mistakenly DROSed a rifle which didn't have to be DROSed and had to wait the 10 days... I came in and they told me 11 days... and since that was a Sunday and they were closed (it was the local feed store), it was going to be Monday... but then I didn't get there in time... it wound up being more than two weeks by the time I finally got the thing.

Still, I understand why they would have such a rule. In every job, there's some idiot who can't follow procedure. You wouldn't want that to endanger your FFL status. My understanding is that ATF just LOOOOOVES to catch these kinds of irregularities.

roushstage2
12-28-2011, 12:07 AM
Nope, I was right. You don't understand.
Yep, you are. Very good. :rolleyes::facepalm:

kemasa
12-28-2011, 9:48 AM
HA! I picked up my AR-15 lower today from my local gun store after only 237 hours! I did the DROS at 4:00 PM and picked it up on my lunch break at 1:00 PM. WIN!

This is why they add an extra day. BTW, it is really not a good idea to make a public post about such things.

Fishslayer
12-28-2011, 9:55 AM
If it ticks you off, shop elsewhere. It isn't like this is the only reason to not like Big5.
Bill

LOL. I TRIED to buy a rifle at the one in Kearny Mesa across from SoCal guns. Not sure what was on the manager's (I presume) mind but it was kind of a "If that's all you're looking for" in "THAT" tone. You know the one. It says "GTFO of here." The store was empty, too. :confused:

But I GOTSTA shop Big 5. Where else am I gonna find $28 bricks of Remi Golden bulk & $55/100 WWB .45?:rolleyes:

Fishslayer
12-28-2011, 9:57 AM

If I was your LGS you'd go on my "Make the effer wait 11 days" list.:facepalm:

A-J
12-28-2011, 10:33 AM
It is interesting to hear how different all of the Big 5's are. To keep it simple, the people working at the Big 5 up here know plenty. I've never been told incorrect information or had them simply read info off of a box, though, I don't try to play a game of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire with them either.

I think it's like a lot of retail specailty stores. You can go into an Autozone and none of hte employees will know a darned thing. Go into another one and the guys there sound like they've been wrenching their whole lives.

Back on topic though - I went into 2 different big 5's when I was shopping for my gauge. The first one, dude was clueless and couldn't answer a single question. I left and got all my answers on the 'net. At the second store, where I actually bought it, the guy behind the counter was very knowledgeable and we had a great conversation while doing all the CA paperwork. The 11 day thing is actually not put out there up front. I had to ask. But, since the 10th day would have been a non-work day for me it didn't bother me since I was not going to essentially drive almost all the way to work to pick up my gauge on a day I didn't have to work.

At Turner's, they only make you wait 10 days, but htey write on the paperwork the exact time that is the *earliest* you can pick it up, so it's pretty idiot-proof. I got there a tad early for my pickup and the salesman and I chatted until the "proper" time.

whereswill
12-28-2011, 10:51 AM
I don't buy from Big 5 anymore... even though they are the cheapest, closet rifle store for many miles(I know... it's sad). On the day of pick up the last time I purchased a rifle there the "gun expert" had somebody else help me while he was being rude with another customer... It was clear that the girl that helped me was a meth head or smoked crack. She showed me the rifle, boxed it up and taped it, but forgot to take off the trigger guard. Needless to say I was PO big time. It was a busy season and I had plans for that day. Having to drive back there and get it unlocked was extremely inconvenient. Then they offered me a meesily 10% off anything other than ammo and firearms. I don't buy shoes there. It was like saying "even though you've spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars here, spend some more for 10% off after we screwed your day"... No more.

Merc1138
12-28-2011, 11:09 AM
I think it's like a lot of retail specailty stores. You can go into an Autozone and none of hte employees will know a darned thing. Go into another one and the guys there sound like they've been wrenching their whole lives.

Back on topic though - I went into 2 different big 5's when I was shopping for my gauge. The first one, dude was clueless and couldn't answer a single question. I left and got all my answers on the 'net. At the second store, where I actually bought it, the guy behind the counter was very knowledgeable and we had a great conversation while doing all the CA paperwork. The 11 day thing is actually not put out there up front. I had to ask. But, since the 10th day would have been a non-work day for me it didn't bother me since I was not going to essentially drive almost all the way to work to pick up my gauge on a day I didn't have to work.

At Turner's, they only make you wait 10 days, but htey write on the paperwork the exact time that is the *earliest* you can pick it up, so it's pretty idiot-proof. I got there a tad early for my pickup and the salesman and I chatted until the "proper" time.

What gauges are you buying that require a 10 day wait?

Yes, I know you probably mean "shotgun", but "gauge" has to be one of the dumbest gun slang terms I've ever heard when you consider that shotguns come in bores that aren't "gauges". Or do you also refer to all of your handguns and rifles as "caliber"? I see you're new here, just keep in mind that your time on calguns will be much more pleasant if you ditch the ebonics(or whatever the hell you call that) and use something at least vaguely close to the proper wording.