PDA

View Full Version : AR15-Carbine Vs Mid-Length ~ How to tell Difference?

.40Cal
12-20-2011, 8:03 PM
Hey guys,

So I got my first AR...ever. I had bought the Spikes Tactical rifle online. It was advertised as the Carbine. I talked to the vendor and said I'll like to buy ~ but I want the mid-length, not carbine length. He said they're both same price, just buy the carbine and in the notes state the mid-length.

It's finally here. I can't tell if it's the carbine or mid-length. How do I assure myself of this? The invoice also says ST-carbine... :confused: I just wanna be SURE!

Thanks in advance.

UserM4
12-20-2011, 8:08 PM
Carbine length gas tube is about 7.5" long
Mid length is about 9.5" long

Jyruiz
12-20-2011, 8:08 PM
I am no pro, but the carbine usually has a 7 inch hand guard.

msand951
12-20-2011, 8:09 PM
Post a pic of your rifle . Or just look at the different setups and compare your handguard length. Im assuming you dont have a floating handguard with a low gas block.

Check out uppers from any company bcm , palmetto and check them out.

UserM4
12-20-2011, 8:16 PM
http://tactical-rifle-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/gas-systems.jpg
The indicated length are from the receiver/delta ring to the gas hole.

.40Cal
12-20-2011, 8:18 PM
Carbine length gas tube is about 7.5" long
Mid length is about 9.5" long

Like I said, I'm new to this. First AR I've ever handled. Just picked it up from my local FFL dealer about an hour ago. Not sure how to get to the gas tube, don't want to open up different parts and then not knowing how to put it back together. I'll learn how to disassemble/assemble in a few days. But for now, I just wanna make sure it's the mid length.

It's not the free float, or quad rails. It's got the basic plastic handgard, with about 9 holes on top and 9 holes on bottom on the handgard. :rolleyes:

UserM4
12-20-2011, 8:20 PM
Like I said, I'm new to this. First AR I've ever handled. Just picked it up from my local FFL dealer about an hour ago. Not sure how to get to the gas tube, don't want to open up different parts and then not knowing how to put it back together. I'll learn how to disassemble/assemble in a few days. But for now, I just wanna make sure it's the mid length.

It's not the free float, or quad rails. It's got the basic plastic handgard, with about 9 holes on top and 9 holes on bottom on the handgard. :rolleyes:

Measure the length of your handguard. It should be around 9" long for midlength and about 7" for carbine.

Jyruiz
12-20-2011, 8:22 PM

If it has 9 holes, it is the midlenth.

UserM4
12-20-2011, 8:22 PM

9 holes sound like midlength. About 7 holes are carbine I think.

Measure the length of your handguard. It should be around 9" long for midlength and about 7" for carbine.

.40Cal
12-20-2011, 8:25 PM
9 holes sound like midlength. About 7 holes are carbine I think.

Hummm...so "maybe" it's a middy. I'm sure someone here has a carbine or a middy who could give some certain things to look for.

Jyruiz
12-20-2011, 8:34 PM
Hummm...so "maybe" it's a middy. I'm sure someone here has a carbine or a middy who could give some certain things to look for.

I have a carbine, and the plastic hand guard has 7 holes, but I have already told you that if you have 9 holes, it is a midlength. Are you ignoring my posts?

mentalglitch
12-20-2011, 8:36 PM
here's my Rock River mid-length upper. hope the picture works.

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/4405/szombielower2.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/804/szombielower2.jpg/)

msand951
12-20-2011, 8:52 PM
Post a pic and we can tell you .

welchy
12-20-2011, 9:07 PM
Do you not have a measuring tape?

0331Marine
12-20-2011, 9:15 PM

That will do it! OP, nice C5 by the way.

nitroxdiver
12-20-2011, 10:51 PM

40cal, several folks have given you all the info you need based on your limited description. If its got 9 holes in the plastic handguards, it's a middy. If the distance from the delta to the fsb is 9ish inches, it's a midlength. Congrats on the new gun, nice car in your avatar!

Jyruiz, nice pistola in your avatar. Definately an under appreciated jem of a handgun.

.40Cal
12-20-2011, 11:14 PM
here's my Rock River mid-length upper. hope the picture works.

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/4405/szombielower2.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/804/szombielower2.jpg/)

I don't know how to post pix.

It looks like the one in this pic though. From the plastic handgard to sight is 8.5 inches. From the very back of the plastic, right were the receiver ends to sight is 9 inches. I guess that's how you're suppose to measure it :confused: I'm guessing it's a middy... :facepalm:

.40Cal
12-20-2011, 11:38 PM
http://tactical-rifle-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/gas-systems.jpg
The indicated length are from the receiver/delta ring to the gas hole.

Looking at the sights... I think, it IS a middy...........Just what I wanted :p

Raptor3000
12-20-2011, 11:41 PM
whats the advantage of Midlength gas compare to carbine length gas system? and what does Armed forces carry midlength or carbine?

thanks

loosewreck
12-21-2011, 1:01 AM
whats the advantage of Midlength gas compare to carbine length gas system?

Its a long story and a contriversial topic in the AR community, I think its best to do a google search and read for days, lots of good info mixed with heated arguments.

and what does Armed forces carry midlength or carbine?

thanks

They use rifle and carbine length gas systems.

Jyruiz
12-21-2011, 2:27 PM
Jyruiz, nice pistola in your avatar. Definately an under appreciated jem of a handgun.

Thanks, I really like it.

Sicarius
12-21-2011, 2:36 PM

They gave you all that you need to know. 9 holes and about 9 inches long for the handguard.
Kevin

Sicarius
12-21-2011, 2:37 PM
Good choice btw... My next will be a middy.
Kevin