PDA

View Full Version : Installing ejection port door/dust cover

AR87
12-20-2011, 7:29 PM
Hey guys,

So I am curious if anyone knows of a simple way to install an ejection port door on an AR without disassembling the upper receiver and pulling the free float tube and barrel nut off. Don't ask me why I need to do this.... :facepalm::o

CHS
12-20-2011, 7:45 PM
Remove the little c-clip, and go in from the back (left-hand side).

Put a rubber band on the handles of a pair of needle nose pliers, and use the tip of the pliers to hold the long end of the spring. Put the rod in from the left-hand side until it's about half-way into the cutout for the spring. Install the spring and then use the pliers to give the spring a full turn and then push the rod all the way into place. At this point you can let go of the pliers.

The real nerve-wracking step comes next: Trying to re-install the c-clip :)

What I do is barely stick it into the jaws of the needle-noses until they're barely holding onto it, and just push it straight down into the cut-out on the rod. Do this on a very large flat white surface so that when it goes flying the first few times you can find it again.

level 10
12-20-2011, 7:46 PM
remove c clip from rod

m35a2
12-20-2011, 7:47 PM
It'll slide in from the rear of the receiver.

arsilva32
12-20-2011, 10:07 PM
that little c clip is a P.I.T.A to put on. i always lose that darn clip.ive tried magnetic pliers, grease,that clip goes flying every time. now i put a bed sheet over myself and the gun so i don't lose the clip when it inevitably goes flying.

tanakasan
12-20-2011, 10:24 PM
There are a couple of those "ballistic" parts on 10/22's...use a gallon ziploc plastic bag for containment.

Robert

AR87
12-20-2011, 10:38 PM
that little c clip is a P.I.T.A to put on. i always lose that darn clip.ive tried magnetic pliers, grease,that clip goes flying every time. now i put a bed sheet over myself and the gun so i don't lose the clip when it inevitably goes flying.

LMAO... Never thought to dress up like Casper while assembling a rifle, but that is a great idea. At least if it flies it doesn't fly far... Thanks for the input, and thanks so much to everyone else for the information and advice as well. As always, it is very much appreciated. I was surprised not to find at least a few wisecracks, though. Guess all the smart***es are taking a day off today. Lol. Again, thanks, and take care, Calgunners!

osis32
12-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Chs has mentioned the most effective method.

PsychGuy274
12-21-2011, 12:01 AM

lol, when I was changing my dust cover I lost it like 5 times. :D

Army
12-21-2011, 7:48 AM
Put some electical tape on the receiver before pushing the rod. It will not only protect the finish, but give a slick surface to slide over.

I learned long ago to use my hat as a parts catcher. A small towel works as well.