PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on 22 auto for 7 year old size hands

bd457
03-08-2007, 10:01 AM
My son is into (and I mean INTO) guns. He's gotten good with his 22 bolt rifle and i think he's ready for serious handgun training. he has an airsoft Walther P22 and it fits his hand okay.

I'm looking for advice on a quality 22 semi-auto that he can train with. Malfuntion drills, presentation from the holster, sight alignment, trigger control, etc. I don't see any sense in him training with a toy gun when he'll clearly be having and using a real gun in the future.

Anybody have any good recomendations on a 22 or even a 25acp?

P22?
Colt mustang?

PLINK
03-08-2007, 10:11 AM
A P22 would not be a bad idea. Obviously you would have to have the talk on which is real and which one is a toy, but he could practice with the Air Soft at home. I have a P22 and never had an issue with it. I got it to teach my wife and daughter how to shoot. It is small for my hand and fits my wifes much better. The interchangeable back straps are cool also.

Most will probably say get a Mark I, II, or III.

scootergmc
03-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Yep, I'm with most. I say Ruger MK*.

bd457
03-08-2007, 10:50 AM
I haven't looked at the ruger MK, I was pretty much discounting it due to the bolt/slide system. I want him to train with a more conventional weapon system so he can have the muscle memory transfer to larger calibers as he himself is able to handle larger calibers. Also, isn't the grip size on the MK a bit larger than the P22?

megavolt121
03-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Beretta U22.

acegunnr
03-08-2007, 10:59 AM
How about a .22 conversion kit on a Glock 19?

bd457
03-08-2007, 11:01 AM
his hands are too small for the glock and the U22 is over two pounds!

mike100
03-08-2007, 11:03 AM
I started in with a 22 revolver when I was 12 or so. I could hold it no problem by then and I have small hands.

Wulf
03-08-2007, 11:05 AM
That little walther is the best thing going for a small hand 22 trainer. I wouldn't even think about a 25, 32, or 380...the ammo costs would kill you. I'd have him shoot the walther till his hands are big enough for an all steel Kahr 9mm. That's probably the next sweet spot up the ladder from the walther.

bd457
03-08-2007, 11:07 AM
I just so happen to have a Kahr 9mm.

The revolver is too big for him. I have a few and he can't pull the trigger with any control on any of them. I also want him to learn to "Run" the gun and keep it running. A revolver doesn't have that feature.

naimad
03-08-2007, 1:39 PM
p-22 or ruger bearcat s&w 317 good for small hands and light weight

bd457
03-08-2007, 2:05 PM
Man, if you hadn't have said all that, I would have sworn I said it.

The weight IS the problem. He's hald all my handguns (HK included) and it's too heavy to hold steady. His rifle is right at the limit of his strength to hold and shoot and he can get it done, but the bipod i installed is the way to go for him at this time. I don't want him to shoot handguns with bad habits. That's why I'm looking for something he can dry practice with with me and not fire until he has at least some muscle memory to control it.

I'd love too see a picture of the M4 you built. My son is currently shooting a Savage cub that somebody from the San Francisco area sent me at no charge with the condition that I pass it on to the next new shooter at no charge. I hooked up with him here on Calguns and am greatly indebted for that.

So far, it looks like I'll have to take him to see a P22.

maxicon
03-08-2007, 2:10 PM
Kids are just like grownups in this - you can never predict what they're going to like. I'd recommend going somewhere to rent stuff to try out, as you'll save a lot of money that way. I bought a number of guns "for the kids" that they ended up not caring for much, and I had to shoot them all the time ;) .

Semi-autos were not popular when they were young (say, below 12) because the mags are a pain to load and the slide's hard to pull back. Anything that was much trouble got put away fairly quickly.

Their favorites were a small .22 revolver (a High Standard Sentinel snubby in my case, but a S&W 317 would be a good bet too, if pricy), a Ruger 10/22, and a Marlin 60. They'd put a few rounds through the big stuff and the heavier .22s, but the light, fun guns are what they'd shoot lots of rounds through.

They liked the revolver because it's easy to load, fairly easy to cock, holds 9 rounds, has little recoil, and is generally fun to shoot. Once they got the cocking down, they'd put box after box through it with no help from me. The target looked like a shotgun pattern, but nobody cared about that.

They also like .22 SA revolvers, like the Ruger Single Six. Again, it's easy to load, easy to cock, and fun to shoot. It slows them down a bit to extract each round, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. For a kid with small hands, the little Ruger Bearcat would be a perfect SA.

They didn't like my Ruger MK512 bull barrel for 4 reasons - It's big, it's heavy, it's hard to cock, and it's hard to load. Even with a mag loader, I'd have to help them load it and cock it the first time. Plus, that first time pulling the bolt back would sometimes result in a pinched hand, which wasn't very popular. I ended up filing down the sharp edges where the bolt mates to the receiver so it wouldn't draw blood when it pinched them.

At one point I got a Beretta 21A Bobcat, figuring it was small and had the tip-up barrel, but my son never cared for it much. The mag's still a bit hard to load, and it's not too reliable - he hates messing with malfunctions when it happens multiple times per mag.

Now that my son's 14 and my daughter's off to college, we're a bit more focused, and he's getting into a wider variety of guns.

I recently got a Walther P22, and he likes it a lot when it's reliable, which isn't all the time, but it's a fun shooter. He likes military stuff, so he also likes my 1911 for a little while, even though it's heavy and has a bit of recoil (but not sharp recoil). Same with big .357 revolvers shooting .38s - they're good for a bit, but the weight bothers him after a while, and he goes back to the small stuff.

When we go to the indoor range, the bulk of his shooting is the P22, any of my .22 revolvers, and the Ruger 10/22 and Marlin 60 for rifles. I have some .410 shotguns that he likes too.

At the outdoor range, he likes the .22 rifles, the M1 carbine, and the Keltec SU16 with an Eotech on it.

So, if I had to make a recommendation, I'd say go for the fun stuff - he'll want to go back time after time, and you can slip in the more challenging guns to get him used to them.

I'd also definitely stick to .22, as my son can burn through a couple of hundred rounds in a range session, and that really adds up in centerfire!

Barry
03-08-2007, 7:01 PM
I picked up a nice used S&W 422 due to it's light weight frame.

Barry

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck
03-08-2007, 7:24 PM
How about a Browning Buckmark? It was the first handgun I ever shot, and while I was older, I fall on the very small end of the bell curve. I don't know about the weight, however. The new ones (with the ugly grips) are listed at 2lbs, 2 oz. :(

gmcem50
03-08-2007, 9:42 PM
I just picked up a Walther P22 for my 8 year old daughter. She already has a Crickett bolt action .22 rifle and is dying to shoot a handgun. She had no problem at all handling the P22.

Knauga
03-08-2007, 9:56 PM
A P22 would not be a bad idea. Obviously you would have to have the talk on which is real and which one is a toy, but he could practice with the Air Soft at home. I have a P22 and never had an issue with it. I got it to teach my wife and daughter how to shoot. It is small for my hand and fits my wifes much better. The interchangeable back straps are cool also.

I agree. Stick with the one he knows and then branch out later.

I have a P22 and I love it... and it can be quirky enough that he can learn to use those malfunction drills

five.five-six
03-08-2007, 10:06 PM
walther!!

megavolt121
03-09-2007, 11:11 AM
his hands are too small for the glock and the U22 is over two pounds!

The grip on the U22 isn't all that big. Why not find a range to rent one for a day and see if 2lbs is do able?

03-09-2007, 11:26 AM
I say get him a Bearcat and let him simply have fun. You can turn him into the next action pistol star later when he can actually handle it.

My son started at six and is twelve now, his favorite gun is my Glock 34 but he still picks up that Bearcat every time we go shooting. My daughter is 15 and never went beyond the Bearcat and that's fine too, she can shoot it very well.

bd457
03-09-2007, 11:34 AM
you guys post too fast. I was answering the post behind this one when the the above post got posted. sheesh, I need to learn to type faster.

I don't even think that would be necessary, I could just take him to a gun store and have him hold each. It would be a good lesson on muzzle control and finger control. Assuming of course that there are still gun stores that believe in the second ammendment and will let a child "hold" an empty gun.

trfcrugby
03-09-2007, 3:02 PM
My daughter has the Walther P22 and she loves it. The only problem we have with it is it ejects the brass almost straight back at the shooter.

ivanimal
03-09-2007, 7:45 PM
I absolutely hate my P-22 I do however love the S&W 317 that is what my son has been shooting since he was 7. It is a wheelgun but it is small lightweight..............I MEAN LIGHTWEIGHT!!!!!:eek: If you hold one the decision will make itself. I also recomend the Ruger MK series, I have a MKI and an MKIII they are flawless. I think they are worth every penny of what you pay for them.