View Full Version : XDs

03-08-2007, 8:52 AM
Rented the XD 9mm & 45acp last nite. Both felt really good in my hand but I personally was experiencing muzzle flips. My groups at 10 yards were grouped 3-4 " but impact was around the 8 o'clock from point of aim.

The Glock 26 was much better. What am I doing wrong?

03-08-2007, 8:56 AM
check your grip, and your trigger pull. it's probably one of those.

03-08-2007, 9:34 AM
I dont own a G26 but heard that for the size it's incredibly accurate. I do have a 4" XD9 and have noticed that if you dont hold on to it extra hard it will flip on you. Like others have said... Look at your grip.

Andrew LB
03-08-2007, 10:15 AM
It's all about stance, weight distribution, and your grip. I had the same issue when i got my XD. It's definitely a pistol you need to have a firm wrist on or accuracy becomes an issue.

Here is a target I shot yesterday with my XD-9mm 4" service model @ 25'. I added a tungsten rod to help keep on target when double tapping or shooting at a fast pace. In this case, i made each shot about 1 second apart.

Andrew LB
03-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Also, keep your thumbs overlapped to keep forward pressure on the indentation on the left side of the pistol for your thumb.

03-08-2007, 11:04 AM
The XD9 was my first pistol :D

If you are shooting to 8 o'clock, you are trying to compensate for recoil. That and the trigger take up on the XD does not really help either.

Next time you have one in your hand, dry fire it. When you pull the trigger, you should feel the take up. This will end with the firing pin disengaging and you should feel the trigger resistance increase like you hit a will. This is the sear that you will be moving. You should always feel this when you pull the trigger on a XD. It is the only gun that I have where I know exactly when the gun will fire. Remember this.

Now load a mag and try to feel the trigger moving the sear each time. Your first shot should be dead on, with the rest getting worse as you start to compensate for recoil. After the mag, do some dry firing again until you can feel the sear and not flinch. Load another mag and repeat.

Also keep in mind that for some strange reason, the sights on the XD for some people work when the front blade covers the target. Others they only work when they use the 6 o'clock sight picture. For me, I have shot the gun so much, I don't even see the front sight when I shoot it anymore.

03-08-2007, 2:53 PM
Good info there MrTuffPaws. I just got the XD40 as my first pistol as well. The XD's are 6 O'clock shooters.