PDA

View Full Version : couple of CA DOJ + price questions

zorkieo
03-08-2007, 7:28 AM
first of all, i have never bought my own handgun. i dont own one in my name, i just use my family members colection, and i think im gona go buy one.
other then the gun + tax, what are the total fee's for ca residents to buy there first handgun.

second question, is that are handguns so damn expensive in california. really all guns for that matter. my uncle says in nevada a remington 870 costs around 250 bucks, i got mine for 300. he also said a kimber custom II is like 625, and i see em priced here for 700-750! can someone give me a legit reason why they cost so much?

zorkieo
03-08-2007, 7:30 AM
forgot to mention, i tried to look up the fee's on the DOJ websight or whatever it is, and got lost in all the terms and licences. just wanted to say i did try and figure this out prior to asking on the forum.

edsel6502
03-08-2007, 7:38 AM
It varies from FFL to FFL.

The DROS is $25. However, if you purchase guns and transfer them through the FFL. The FFL will charge a transfer fee. In most cases, the transfer fee and the california markup negate each other.

Why is California more expensive?. A combination of market, economics, number of dealers, laws and regulation. Take your pick.

Do a search here for DROS for more detail information.

Pepper
03-08-2007, 7:53 AM
You will need to tkae the handgun safety test and get your HSC (cert) cost about $30. Cert is good for 3 years. You also have to pay DROS fees - Dealer Record Of Sales ~$25-30. Also, if you do not have a safe you have to buy a CA approved gun lock - $15. All in all adds around $100 to price of first gun! Pretty sure this I just bought my first recently as well. Enjoy..

Franksremote
03-08-2007, 8:02 AM
First purchase:
FFL in CA purchase= gun + tax + $35 for DROS + $25 HSC
Out of state purchase= shipping + DROS + transfer fee + $25 HSC total about $125.
New guns come with a CA approved lock.

As was said, a new gun purchase is about the same price regardless of purchase in or out of state after the smoke clears. Best deals are on slightly used (or unfired) weapons purchased locally as the fee would only be around $35 for the DROS and $25 for the HSC, no tax ;)

zorkieo
03-08-2007, 8:19 AM
used guns dont have tax? is that really true?

maxicon
03-08-2007, 8:23 AM
used guns dont have tax? is that really true?

Used guns from dealers are taxed, including consignment guns. Private party transfers (PPT) are not taxed.

asintado
03-08-2007, 8:26 AM
The high prices are a combination of taxes, fees, and dealer mark-ups. I have always purchased my handguns from out of state using a FFL to accept the transfer and process the DROS. You have to be careful and crunch the numbers because if you're only saving a couple bucks by buying out of state you may as well just buy it here in Cali. So far buying out of state has saved me anywhere from $50 to $150 which I can put toward mags and ammo. Being a college student on a limited budget, buying out of state has helped me save a bunch.

kennisonxgs
03-08-2007, 8:44 AM
You will need to tkae the handgun safety test and get your HSC (cert) cost about $30. Cert is good for 3 years.

When did this change? Last time I took it, it was $25 for 5 years.

Delta V
03-08-2007, 8:49 AM

It is valid for 5 years.

Pepper
03-08-2007, 2:40 PM

Sorry, I was thinking of C&R license. Thanks for catching it:)

EOD Guy
03-09-2007, 3:54 PM
Used guns from dealers are taxed, including consignment guns. Private party transfers (PPT) are not taxed.
I have bought consignment guns from three different dealers. None were taxed.