PDA

View Full Version : First AR Build - With Pics - All Finished

icenix
12-19-2011, 7:26 PM
Here it is, my first AR. Spikes lower, BCM BFH 16" barrel, Magpul stock, Hogue grip, Magpul angled fore grip, etc.

I do have one question....I went to buy some Magpul 10/20 mags at my local shop. They only sell "rebuild" kits with a plastic insert part that you put into the mag that makes it stop at 10 rounds. Anyway, do I have to seal the bottom plate of the magazine, or is this okay so long as I have that blocker in there? The guy at the shop told me he doesn't seal his......

So what do you think?

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd415/icenix25359/1.jpg

mrvash
12-19-2011, 8:48 PM
Very nice, keep us updated with progress! can't wait to see the finish product. Also, BCM always ship out their products covered in oil, just give it a good wipe down or cleaning and see if the marks are still there. If they are, don't hesitate to send BCM an e-mail with your concerns, see what they'll say.

1forall
12-19-2011, 9:26 PM
Oh...I thought it was complete. I'll check back later

jonc
12-19-2011, 9:32 PM
So far so good.... Let's see complete

mustang6767c
12-19-2011, 9:58 PM
was looking at that same upper earlier. looks good

icenix
12-19-2011, 10:27 PM
was looking at that same upper earlier. looks good

Yeah, I like it. I was debating between the 11" and the 13" hand guards and ended up going with the 11". Having seen it in person now, I think I would have liked the 13" just as much, maybe more. I need to get the lower and an angled fore grip before I will know if I should have gone with the 13" to give me a lengthier grip.

I love everything about it, except for that line looking thing around the end of the barrel. The more I look at it, it looks kind of like a water stain as there is not only the vertical like, but it moves around the barrel in a puddle pattern. I think it was probably dipped in some solution or something and let to dry but it didn't all come off. I don't know. Not sure what to do about it, except it and keep it or what.

mrvash
12-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I like it. I was debating between the 11" and the 13" hand guards and ended up going with the 11". Having seen it in person now, I think I would have liked the 13" just as much, maybe more. I need to get the lower and an angled fore grip before I will know if I should have gone with the 13" to give me a lengthier grip.

Beautiful thing about those Troy rails is that they're interchangeable between rail lengths. Meaning, if you want to go longer you can simply loosen the screws, remove the current VTAC rail and replace it with a longer one and sell the shorter one here in the marketplace :)

icenix
12-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Bump.....all done....for now....:37:

mrvash
12-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Nice outcome! Love it, reminds me of my old AR

fusionstar
12-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Great looking rifle, I bet its a joy to hold. Im tired of those nonsense 2lb quad rails that are 3" wide.

colossians323
12-23-2011, 4:57 AM
.I went to buy some Magpul 10/20 mags at my local shop. They only sell "rebuild" kits with a plastic insert part that you put into the mag that makes it stop at 10 rounds. Anyway, do I have to seal the bottom plate of the magazine, or is this okay so long as I have that blocker in there? The guy at the shop told me he doesn't seal his......

You do not have to seal the magazine floor plate. Nice build

Jyruiz
12-23-2011, 7:03 AM
Looks great, I was going to put that same rail on my AR.

icenix
12-23-2011, 7:44 AM
Great looking rifle, I bet its a joy to hold. Im tired of those nonsense 2lb quad rails that are 3" wide.

Looks great, I was going to put that same rail on my AR.

It is. I love the rail. I finally figured I didn't need to go with a rail system all the way down for my needs. As a result, yes, it is very light and easy to hold. Glad I went with it for sure.

Lupo
12-23-2011, 7:51 AM
Nice build.

icenix
12-23-2011, 2:41 PM
Thanks....I went a shot it for the first time today. Loved it!! I need to do some more sighting in so I can get some consistency though. Today I mostly just shot for the fun of shooting.

Colt-45
12-23-2011, 2:47 PM
Looks great, congratulations.

Mojaveman
12-23-2011, 5:43 PM
Nice job Icenix,

Black rifles aren't that hard to build are they? Just take your time and don't rush or force anything. Make sure and ask questions if you're not sure. Enjoy shooting it!

icenix
12-23-2011, 7:00 PM
Nice job Icenix,

Black rifles aren't that hard to build are they? Just take your time and don't rush or force anything. Make sure and ask questions if you're not sure. Enjoy shooting it!

Nope, real easy, there are just so many options and it's a lot of "do I go with this, or that" lol.

I was shooting low and to the right today. I adjusted, with what I thought was enough, and was still shooting low and to the right. I need to spend some more time figuring out the sights, as I didn't have long at the range today.

Faded
12-23-2011, 7:40 PM
Looks great!

tennisman
12-23-2011, 7:44 PM
you can get the 10 round p mags at calegal mags.com stands by there product too just click up top on the calguns advertisesmets on top of this page

Sac-AR15
12-23-2011, 8:03 PM
Congrats. Nice rifle. I didnt seal mine. I used a rivot tool to permantly lock the bottom plate in.

david619
12-23-2011, 8:53 PM
Congratulation!