PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 grendel vs 6.8 SPC availability

jm13690
12-19-2011, 6:23 PM
I need help on is I am planning on getting a 6.5 Grendel or a 6.8 SPC upper for my already put together AR lower. I know the ballistics and all of each, my question was what do you all think about the ammo availability?

The 6.8 SPC seems to be getting out there, but I was wondering if the 6.5 Grendel is going to catch up. Both are great calibers, I just don't want to be stuck with a very small option of available ammo.

And this is a repost from the ammo/reload section. The problem is it doesn't seem like there is a lot of views in that section as there is in others especially in the firearm section.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=512662

FatalKitty
12-19-2011, 6:46 PM
At all three gun stores i visited today, 6.5 was everywhere, and the guys at the counter suggested i buy 6.8 online

Dreaded Claymore
12-19-2011, 6:50 PM
I have read that more 6.5mm diameter bullets are made than 6.8mm, and as a result there are more factory loads available for 6.5mm Grendel, as well as more reloading options obviously.

Mamluke
12-19-2011, 6:57 PM
6.5 over 6.8 all day, more available & a longer range round ...

You can get loads of each online BTW, unless you live in LA city proper!
Plus 6.5 Grendel is cheaper & been out there longer!

......... :oji: .........

russ69
12-19-2011, 7:00 PM
I don't think either will become popular enough to insure cheap ammo will ever be available so you are stuck handloading. I think both cartridges are for the advanced handloader so I would not pick it unless I wanted to try something different. For shooting through an AR15 where you have a limit on OAL, the 6mmAR is the better choice.

Trickpony
12-19-2011, 9:49 PM
I had both, kept the Grendels. The 6.5 Grendel was easier to buy over the counter ammo for and was quite a bit more accurate at longer distances. Go 6.5 Grendel! Hornady makes some great 6.5 Grendel 123 gr. A-Max Match ammo.

starsnuffer
12-19-2011, 9:54 PM
Wolf just started making steel cased grendel as well, which should help out too.

-W

duggan
12-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Funny, when I had the same dilemma I ended up going with the 6.8 due to the lack of 6.5 ammo. I built mine for hunting and needed lead free and found that SSA made some great stuff using Barnes bullets (85, 95, 110 gr.), at the time you'd have had better luck finding Bigfoot before you found 6.5. After buying a few boxes I decided to start loading my own and bought an el cheapo lee hand press and dies, http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee392/Duggan_Mahcrotch/5efe51e7.jpg
That's ten rounds of my very first handloads at 100 yards. It's not that hard to load your own and if you don't have to have all the bells and whistles its not that expensive either. I suggest going to both the 6.8 forum and the 6.5 forums and do a little poking around, once you cut through all the BS from both sides you should have an idea of which one to go with and where the best ammo prices are for each one. PS there isn't a magic super bullet yet despite what both camps might think lol.

send it_hit
12-20-2011, 2:47 AM
these responses are depressing, as i have my first upper in 6.8spc on its way to me. :(

CavTrooper
12-20-2011, 5:45 AM
these responses are depressing, as i have my first upper in 6.8spc on its way to me. :(

Dont worry, there is plenty of 6.8 ammo out there, as well as magazines and reliably functioning rifles.

gun toting monkeyboy
12-20-2011, 7:28 AM

Yeah, don't stress. The Grendelites are like Ron Paul supporters. Relatively few in number, but vocal and motivated enough to skew any poll or thread online. The 6.5 is a very good cartridge, but the 6.8 is still cheaper and easier to find everything for. And it is likely to stay that was for the forseeable future.

I was originally looking at the 6.5, but saw the cost of dies and brass was insane. And it was all unavailable at the time. So I went with the 6.8 and haven't looked back. As for the reflexive Grendelite response of "But 6.5 is better at long ranges..." all I can say is that if I am shooting at things past 300 yards, I am NOT going to be using an intermediate round anyway. That is what full powered cartridges are for.

-Mb

Retzius
12-20-2011, 7:31 AM
I find 6.8 very easy to reload and to find in stores compared to 6.5.

starsnuffer
12-20-2011, 8:02 AM
6.8 had a lot of hype because it was thought the military might adopt it. That isn't going to happen.

6.5 just received it's SAAMI acceptance, so you will see a lot more of it now.

IMO 6.5 is the superior cartridge. Since the military variable is no longer in the equation, it makes sense that you'll see more and more 6.5 and less 6.8, but I don't think 6.8 will go away any time soon. There will still be plenty of arms makers riding the "military" bandwagon for quite some time.

-W

Flintlock Tom
12-20-2011, 8:31 AM
You need to examine the pros & cons of each cartridge and decide what works best for you.
I have a Stag Arms AR15 in 6.8, with a 22" barrel that shoots MOA if I do my part. I have been very happy with the quality, price and availability of 6.8 SPC ammo from Silver State Armory. If you buy at least 250 rounds at a time, it's $.80/round. They also make and sell bullets and brass for the 6.8.

jm13690
12-20-2011, 9:19 AM
I have read a lot about each caliber and both sound good. Really it just comes down to what am I going to find either online or at the store. I do like that Wolf makes ammo for the 6.5.

cmace22
12-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Interesting, this is the first Ive hear about the 6.5 being more available than the 6.8. Ive been out of the loop for a while. In either case both rounds are too pricey for me at .80-1.00 per round Id go .308 before either of these two. If I ever got into reloading maybe but the 300 BLK would get a hard look as well.

jonzer77
12-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Check joeboboutfitters for good prices on 6.8 and if you order over $90 the shipping is free.

jm13690
12-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Interesting, this is the first Ive hear about the 6.5 being more available than the 6.8. Ive been out of the loop for a while. In either case both rounds are too pricey for me at .80-1.00 per round Id go .308 before either of these two. If I ever got into reloading maybe but the 300 BLK would get a hard look as well.

I have been looking at the 300 BLK too, but seems the factory ammo availability is really low.

Nathan Krynn
12-20-2011, 1:47 PM
Now that there is a SAMMI spec on 6.5 you will see a lot more and prices comming down.

Both for my area you need to order online for the most part.

The issue I have with the 6.8 ammo is that ammo manufacturers have to load it down so it can fire in spc and spc II and function in all rifles. Well for me that is about a loss of 400 fps from my hand load. So I hand load.

6.5 may be a longer range round but like someone else said if I were to shoot over 300 then I'd use a .308 or larger. Plus it losses a lot of energy anyway at distance, this was from when I looked at the ballistics a long time ago. I might have been wrong or my memory was getting old.

Frankly I never take or need to take a shot longer then 200 or so and frankly 90% of the hunting I have done has been under 50 so this long range of the 6.5 does me no good what so ever.

Lastly I have seen broken bolt on the 6.5, never on the 6.8.

Paper Boy
12-20-2011, 2:08 PM
I have the 6.5 have had it for about 4 years now I think. Dies took 4 months to arrive when I bought them. Brass is expensive but more common now. I shoot 123g Sierras - not all that cheap and not really that common - they are tack drivers with a 18 inch barrel.

I can shoot Noslers and Hornadys they just are not as accurate. Reloading was a learning curve when I started with it. Now its simple just have to remember to bump the shoulder back a bit....

Its not the end all be all but then again neither is the 6.8. I bought it to play with diffrent loads at first, then rebuilt it to hunt with, just have not had a chance to do so with it yet.

jm13690
12-20-2011, 3:02 PM
Well I contacted Hornady and asked them if they have any future plans to produce more available cartridges for the 6.5 Grendel. They said that there was not any plans too, but they would bring it up to the tech department.

So I am really stuck on what to do. I just want to venture away from the 223, but just really can't decide. Both have pros and cons, just my worry is not being able to get ammo or get brass for them.

Speedpower
12-20-2011, 3:11 PM
Well I contacted Hornady and asked them if they have any future plans to produce more available cartridges for the 6.5 Grendel. They said that there was not any plans too, but they would bring it up to the tech department.

So I am really stuck on what to do. I just want to venture away from the 223, but just really can't decide. Both have pros and cons, just my worry is not being able to get ammo or get brass for them.

Just go .308 then, problem solved!
get the lower from Tactical Machining for only $229. here: https://www.tacticalmachining.com/receivers/lower-receivers/tm-10-lower-receiver-stripped.html

jm13690
12-20-2011, 3:30 PM
Just go .308 then, problem solved!
get the lower from Tactical Machining for only $229. here: https://www.tacticalmachining.com/receivers/lower-receivers/tm-10-lower-receiver-stripped.html

Have an extra AR15 lower already, 308 will be next build.

scamp62
12-20-2011, 5:23 PM
O.K. I’m just a little confused about this argument. Monkeyboy always says that the “Grendelites are so vocal” and that the 2 cartridges are very similar until you get to 300 yards, and that the 6.5 is so much more expensive to shoot ! well I call B.S. on this !
You “6.8 fan boys” should check your facts. The big expense for both of these cartridges is the brass, midway sells 6.8 for $35.99 per 50ct, and 6.5 $36.99 both Hornady (wow is the $1.00 going to break you…..if so maybe you should consider a new hobby) and as far as bullets there is a far greater selection in the 6.5 then 6.8. Then there is that little thing about the 300 yard limit !!! I for the life of me I have never heard anybody state that they were happy with a short range rifle, personally I like a round that will reach out there, hell I went to the range today and was hitting steel out at 500 yards with a 45-70 Sharps.
And was a blast, I thing any new wiz-bang new cartage should be able to do the same as a 138 year old style of hardware, and yes I can hit out there with my 6.5 Grendel.
Then the vocal loudness of the 6.5 crowed…..yes we like the round, do you suggest that we just lay quiet, and not say anything ? you “Fan boys” say your round is better and we “Grendelites’ say our round is better. And if we are like Ron Paul supporters, then I have to say “6.8 Fan boys” are like Barack Obama Supporters ! your just making up so called facts, with nothing to back it up !

P.S. sorry to some of you “6.8 Fan boys” ….the Obama Supporters, comment was a little harsh…………but it made me laugh !!!!! :clown:

scamp62
12-20-2011, 6:06 PM
P.S.S. !!!
Sorry but I’m riding a wave here guys !!
A question for you guys that say “If I’m shooting beyond 300 yards I will bring a bigger rifle”………Ummm just how do you know the rang of your target before you go hunting ? or is the 6.8 only for paper punching at known range ???? I have never gone hunting, and I’ve known the range of my target before the hunt, or do you carry 2 rifles ??? :D

gun toting monkeyboy
12-20-2011, 6:17 PM
See what I mean. It isn't just a cartridge, it is a religion. It is like the 10mm Auto crowd when .40 S&W came out. For over a decade they beat their drums and tried to convince each other that the end of the .40 was nigh, and their one true cartridge was really coming back. (Sigh) The only things that the 6.8 and 6.5 Grendel have going for them are the facts that they will work through an AR length action, and provide a reasonably decent target and medium game round. They are still intermediate cartridges. My main issue with the Grendel, aside from the cult that has formed around it, is the cost and availability of the ammo, brass and dies. I went to one of the local toy stores this afternoon to check. They had boxes of 6.8 in several different flavors. There was no Grendel ammo to be had. Most of the time when I look for brass online, I check to see if 6.5 is available. Most of the time it is on back order, out of stock, or just not listed. Or they are looking for more than $50 per hundred. I have nothing against the 6.5. I really don't. But it just isn't going to pass the 6.8 any time soon. The doofus at Alexander Arms or where ever it was tried to keep it a propriatary round for too long. He sat on it until well after the 6.8 ship had sailed, and now he is trying to play catch up. I don't know if it is going to work. I am not really a "fan boy" of 6.8 SPC. I use it, and it works. But I use it because it is convenient and available. If 6.5 ever comes down, and magazines become more available, I might even consider it. But in the mean time, I already have a decent intermediate round that works through ARs. No need for me to invest the extra (very limited) cash in something that more or less duplicates a set up I already have.

-Mb

As for knowing the range, if I am hunting for pigs in central/south Texas, the shots are usually under 150 yards. If I am hunting deer in the brush around here, 60-80 yards is about the max. I normally don't shoot at any critter over 200 yards away. I get very limited chances to hunt. I don't waste my shots on targets that are beyond what I am comfortable with. I either get closer or pass. When I am using a bolt action, I know I can hit gongs out to 600 yards with open sights better than 90% of the time. But I don't try that on game because of that 10%. I know my limits, and I stick to them.

msand951
12-20-2011, 7:37 PM
I have the 6.5 have had it for about 4 years now I think. Dies took 4 months to arrive when I bought them. Brass is expensive but more common now. I shoot 123g Sierras - not all that cheap and not really that common - they are tack drivers with a 18 inch barrel.

I can shoot Noslers and Hornadys they just are not as accurate. Reloading was a learning curve when I started with it. Now its simple just have to remember to bump the shoulder back a bit....

Its not the end all be all but then again neither is the 6.8. I bought it to play with diffrent loads at first, then rebuilt it to hunt with, just have not had a chance to do so with it yet.

Can you please share some recipes ? pmme.

I purchased a 18" stainless at a good price awhile back. I just need a floating handguard and bcg and im done. Oh and a scope of course. Which dies did you go with?

msand951
12-20-2011, 7:44 PM
Price for the 6.5 isnt bad for wolf. 12.99 at aimsurplus and it is brass and boxer primed so they are reloadable.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AWG65Grendel&name=Wolf+Gold+6.5+Grendel+120grn+MPT+20rd+Box&groupid=247

And you can convert 7.62x39 brass as well. both wolf ammo above and conversion might not be lapua match grade but still pretty good.
heres a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAgTF7G7m7w

jm13690
12-20-2011, 7:56 PM
I have nothing against the 6.5. I really don't. But it just isn't going to pass the 6.8 any time soon. The doofus at Alexander Arms or where ever it was tried to keep it a propriatary round for too long. He sat on it until well after the 6.8 ship had sailed, and now he is trying to play catch up. I don't know if it is going to work.

This is the thing I am worried about. I know Alexander Arms released their patent just don't know if it is too late. I am seeing the prices drop for 6.5 but just don't know if its going to keep up to the 6.8 for availability. I would like to get an upper that I won't need to just depend on reloading to have ammo for it. I like the specs of the 6.5, but because ammo and mags are easier to find for the 6.8 I am torn. And with Christmas coming up I feel that I deserve a nice present for myself.

Mamluke
12-20-2011, 8:41 PM
This is the thing I am worried about. I know Alexander Arms released their patent just don't know if it is too late. I am seeing the prices drop for 6.5 but just don't know if its going to keep up to the 6.8 for availability. I would like to get an upper that I won't need to just depend on reloading to have ammo for it. I like the specs of the 6.5, but because ammo and mags are easier to find for the 6.8 I am torn. And with Christmas coming up I feel that I deserve a nice present for myself.

I think you've just solved that 'delimma' for yourself ... ;)

Don't worry, be happy .... :D

rightwingmaniac
12-20-2011, 8:59 PM
Dont ever let me catch you mention 6.8 and Obama in the same sentence again!!! :taz:

O.K. I’m just a little confused about this argument. Monkeyboy always says that the “Grendelites are so vocal” and that the 2 cartridges are very similar until you get to 300 yards, and that the 6.5 is so much more expensive to shoot ! well I call B.S. on this !
You “6.8 fan boys” should check your facts. The big expense for both of these cartridges is the brass, midway sells 6.8 for $35.99 per 50ct, and 6.5 $36.99 both Hornady (wow is the $1.00 going to break you…..if so maybe you should consider a new hobby) and as far as bullets there is a far greater selection in the 6.5 then 6.8. Then there is that little thing about the 300 yard limit !!! I for the life of me I have never heard anybody state that they were happy with a short range rifle, personally I like a round that will reach out there, hell I went to the range today and was hitting steel out at 500 yards with a 45-70 Sharps.
And was a blast, I thing any new wiz-bang new cartage should be able to do the same as a 138 year old style of hardware, and yes I can hit out there with my 6.5 Grendel.
Then the vocal loudness of the 6.5 crowed…..yes we like the round, do you suggest that we just lay quiet, and not say anything ? you “Fan boys” say your round is better and we “Grendelites’ say our round is better. And if we are like Ron Paul supporters, then I have to say “6.8 Fan boys” are like Barack Obama Supporters ! your just making up so called facts, with nothing to back it up !

P.S. sorry to some of you “6.8 Fan boys” ….the Obama Supporters, comment was a little harsh…………but it made me laugh !!!!! :clown:

scamp62
12-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Hay I did apologize to some of you, but there are others that it fits like a glove !

gun toting monkeyboy
12-21-2011, 7:09 AM
I resemble that remark...

Uxi
12-21-2011, 7:57 AM
6.8 makes me happpppy. :D Really hope Bushmaster comes through on the 6.8 kit for the ACR.

21SF
12-21-2011, 8:04 AM
You can make Grendle brass from 762.39 brass. Lapua for instance.

r3dn3ck
12-21-2011, 8:55 AM
unless you PREFER to reload, get the 6.8. Grendel is a handloading affair as far as I'm concerned as I've not one time been able to buy retail ammo at a store. 6.8 I see in stores regularly enough.

I have the grendel as I prefer to reload my ammo rather than purchase boxes of it.

jonzer77
12-21-2011, 9:29 AM
I haven't seen either ammo at any local gun stores. In fact one gun store employee told me the 6.8 was a discontinued cartridge and I tried not to laugh. He said his brother bought a 6.8 and never shot it because he can't find ammo for it lol. I said I could go online right now and get a box for $20 and it's not dead. Gotta love gun store fud.

chicoredneck
12-21-2011, 9:41 AM
I have never seen 6.5 or 6.8 at a local store. They are both easily had online at similar prices. The 6.8 is slightly better engineered to function in an AR. The 6.5 can be loaded to shoot just as fast for the sub 300 yard group with 100gr bullets or can be loaded for retained velocity with the 123gr scenar.

jm13690
12-21-2011, 9:59 AM
Well I contacted Barnes bullets and they said that the had plans to make more ammo for both rounds. Although they also said if they were to pick between the two they would go Grendel. Wonder if that was hint or just a preference.

Paper Boy
12-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Can you please share some recipes ?

I will try and remember to get my notes out tonight with exactly what I have been using.

jm13690
12-21-2011, 3:08 PM
Well I found a great deal from Specialized Dynamics for the 6.8 SPC and the 6.5 Grendel. I am going to go with the Grendel. After getting the recommendation from Barnes to go for the 6.5 Grendel it was the deciding vote. But for those who might want to get a 6.8 SPC if you go to Specialized Dynamics Facebook they have a super deal on their 6.8 upper. But you have to act fast.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
12-21-2011, 3:24 PM
6.8 :thumbsup: