PDA

View Full Version : Bringing a handgun to CA

thefinger
03-07-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm turning 21 soon, and I'm considering buying a pistol of my own. I go to college in Missouri, and gun prices here are considerably better than in CA. If I buy a pistol in MO and bring it back to CA do I need to file any paperwork with the DOJ?

tlillard23
03-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Are you a CA or MO resident?

thefinger
03-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Are you a CA or MO resident?

Oh lord, don't get me started on this subject again. I've discussed this on the forum before, and the overwhelming response from knowledgable calgunners has been that I am a legal resident of MO when I reside in MO and I am a legal resident of CA when I reside in CA. I maintain a place of residence in both states.

I will be moving back to CA permanently after one more year of college. So when I buy my handgun I will be a MO resident, and when I move back to CA I will then be considered a CA resident. Its just like I was moving to CA from out of state like anyone else would if they got a new job or something.

Knauga
03-08-2007, 1:27 AM
#25 on DOJ FAQ (http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#24)

# I am moving into California and I own several handguns. What are the new-resident registration requirements?

You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.

(PC sections 12001(n), 12072(f)(2))

On the original site it has a link to the PDF form.

tlillard23
03-08-2007, 1:53 AM
Sorry man, i don't keep tabs on you. Geeeesh, stay in MO. :p
edited...
I'll buy a HK/keltec/CZ/not-CA-safe-handgun off of you when you get here.... Guess you will need to Dump the AW and If you have ANY hicap mags, sell them now.

Miltiades
03-08-2007, 3:40 AM
If you buy a gun from an FFL in Missouri, he will want you to prove MO residency before he hands the gun to you. If you can do this to his satisfaction, probably with a MO driver's license, I'd say you are a MO resident. Then when you change residency to CA, you should follow the CA DOJ procedure for new residents - look on the DOJ website.

thefinger
03-08-2007, 2:56 PM
If you buy a gun from an FFL in Missouri, he will want you to prove MO residency before he hands the gun to you. If you can do this to his satisfaction, probably with a MO driver's license, I'd say you are a MO resident. Then when you change residency to CA, you should follow the CA DOJ procedure for new residents - look on the DOJ website.

I've got the paperwork together to get my MO I.D. card from the DMV next week. I Figured out early that I would need the MO ID. The first gun shop I went to told me he would never do business with me since I was from CA. I explained to him that I vote in St. Louis elections and am planning on getting my MO ID card to prove my residency, but he said he would never sell me a thing. Gun shops out here are scared ****less when someone says CA, and I understand why. Good thing the MO ID card only costs $11.

Sorry man, i don't keep tabs on you. Geeeesh, stay in MO.
edited...
I'll buy a HK/keltec/CZ/not-CA-safe-handgun off of you when you get here.... Guess you will need to Dump the AW and If you have ANY hicap mags, sell them now.

I remember someone mentioning that I can buy a handguns here that I can't get in CA, AND that I can bring them to CA legally. Can someone flush that out a bit for me and explain the law? It would be fun to take advantage of my MO residency if it meant I could get something really cool and bring it back to CA legally.:D

JPN6336
03-08-2007, 3:38 PM
I remember someone mentioning that I can buy a handguns here that I can't get in CA, AND that I can bring them to CA legally. Can someone flush that out a bit for me and explain the law? It would be fun to take advantage of my MO residency if it meant I could get something really cool and bring it back to CA legally.:D

Handguns sold by dealers in California must be on the approved "safe" list. However if someone moving into California from another state can bring in handguns not on the list that were bought out of state. Providing, of course, that they are not otherwise illegal in California (threaded bbl, etc.) and that they are not being brought in (imported) with the specific purpose of selling them. Of course if you bring them in for yourself and then find that the high cost of living in California forces you to sell them...

paradox
03-08-2007, 4:45 PM
CDNN's current catalogue, page 11

CZ-40: CZ internals in a M1911 outer shape and 10 round mags.

Its strange, useful, will never be made again and is only $290.

They will sell like hotcakes.

PM me when you get back with an extra one....

hoffmang
03-08-2007, 6:32 PM
I'd suggest you post something asking what sorts of guns folks would be interested in your bringing with you when you move back to CA. For now you are a MO resident.

-Gene

thefinger
03-08-2007, 8:28 PM
I'd suggest you post something asking what sorts of guns folks would be interested in your bringing with you when you move back to CA. For now you are a MO resident.

-Gene

Just to clarify. If I decide to sell one or more of my "not-CA-safe" handguns that I bring to CA when I move back, I can sell them to CA residents? That would make it an attractive option since I'm a college student and I never know when I'll need to sell one of my guns to regain some funds. It would be a pain if I had to sell my pistol to someone out of state. :rolleyes:

hoffmang
03-08-2007, 8:51 PM
The following scenario is completely legal.

1. You are a MO resident.

2. You find out what guns are not on the "safe list."

3. You buy as many of those as you can afford.

4. You move back.

5. You can either PPT within a short amount of time to any CA resident.

6. Or you can pay $19 per to "register" each one and then sell it PPT at any time to any CA resident while you remain a CA resident.

-Gene

thefinger
03-08-2007, 8:59 PM
The following scenario is completely legal.

1. You are a MO resident.

2. You find out what guns are not on the "safe list."

3. You buy as many of those as you can afford.

4. You move back.

5. You can either PPT within a short amount of time to any CA resident.

6. Or you can pay $19 per to "register" each one and then sell it PPT at any time to any CA resident while you remain a CA resident.

-Gene

Thats surprisingly great to hear. I would have expected that sort of scenario to require a dealer's liscence of some sort on my behalf. I guess when the time comes I will let people know I'm going to be making some purchases and take some suggestions as to what handguns to pick up for myself. I don't really have the funds to do something like that, but I might be able to let one of my guns go after some time quality time. Thanks for the help, Gene.;)

hoffmang
03-08-2007, 9:26 PM
As long as you buy from an FFL, move to CA, and then sell through an FFL, you aren't a dealer. Don't overdo it though.

-Gene