PDA

View Full Version : what do you think of this scope

Stillwell_707
12-19-2011, 5:57 PM
http://www.ar15scopes.com/Rifle_Scopes-3-9x42_IR_Contour_Scope_by_Barska.html

Stillwell_707
12-19-2011, 5:58 PM
sorry I forgot the info. It will be on a ar15 range gun hoping for 100-300 yards

Don29palms
12-19-2011, 6:03 PM
Waste of money.

Twystd1
12-19-2011, 6:06 PM
It is a Barska from China. In the pecking order of scopes. Barska's are way down towards the bottom. Ya gets what ya pay for.

That doesn't mean it wont work. They are simply a low cost scope that has to be made cheaply to sell at that price point.

Take a look at the warranty service. And check the web to see if they honor their warranties. Personally. I would not own one. Then again. I have enough funds to not have to buy Barska.

Twystd1

RudyCakes
12-19-2011, 6:06 PM
When it comes to optics, you get what you pay for. I think the best value (bang for your buck) is the Bushnell Elite series. It's all I buy now.
I've never had a good experience with Barska.

Full Clip
12-19-2011, 6:08 PM
I'd buy a good used scope before I bought a new crappy one.

Stillwell_707
12-19-2011, 6:10 PM
Thanks guy glad I asked

1forall
12-19-2011, 6:17 PM
Basura...

Full Clip
12-19-2011, 6:19 PM
Save your money and buy a good scope that you'll keep for a long time. Remember: Buy once, cry once!

jtv3062
12-19-2011, 6:22 PM
Basura...

No he said Barska.

I kid I kid.

five.five-six
12-19-2011, 6:26 PM
run, do not walk, away from that scope

It would be great for a airsoft gun if you never planned on using it

HonkingAntelope
12-19-2011, 6:26 PM
Looking at the reviews on OP, http://www.opticsplanet.net/barska-3-9x42-ir-contour-riflescope-black-matte-mil-dot-ir-dual-color-reticle.html

I'd say it's not worth $10, let alone $100+. Frankly, there plenty of even cheap Chinese scopes that can hold zero just fine unlike this one.

five.five-six
12-19-2011, 6:29 PM
^^

by "not hold a zero" he means that the reticle will move every time you fire the gun and you will never be able to hit anything

Mamluke
12-19-2011, 6:33 PM
Made in China (just like the Iphone ... :D)

I used one just like it with a built in laser on my HK416D 22lr rifle, figured my scope shouldn't be more expensive than my rifle. and it worked fine, however, in the heat of the Socal desert the crosshairs 'floated' canted and tanked inside the scope ... its been like that ever since The crosshairs kept rotating & stayed at an X instead of + !

Plus the laser just ate battery life like crazy.... JUNK!

So if you get one, keep it out of heat!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/LavaBull/st11.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/LavaBull/dsrt3.jpg

They look good on the rifle, but that's about it!

HonkingAntelope
12-19-2011, 6:38 PM
Must've been the hidden 'tacticool mode' where you are supposed to shoot with the rifle canted by 45 degrees to keep the crosshairs straight!

Mamluke
12-19-2011, 6:45 PM
Must've been the hidden 'tacticool mode' where you are supposed to shoot with the rifle canted by 45 degrees to keep the crosshairs straight!

^^^^^ LOL .... :facepalm: .... I thought I was being subjected to an Alien EMP beam when I saw that thing tank & my jaw dropped ... http://ktmtalk.com/html/emoticons/eek5.gif ...

JUNK!

h0use
12-19-2011, 6:48 PM
Look into getting a lucid or vortex or primary arms if your on a budget.

Shawn L
12-19-2011, 7:08 PM
Speaking of cheap scopes what do you guys think of this deal...

http://swfa.com/Optisan-1-4x24-Mamba-SWFA-SALT-Combo-P50669.aspx

I looking for a scope for my Sig556 with green illumination.

shadow65
12-19-2011, 7:27 PM
I've actually had pretty good results from the Accushot UTG scopes.
Something has changed with their optics for the better.
Dave N

tanakasan
12-19-2011, 8:38 PM
Look into getting a lucid or vortex or primary arms if your on a budget.

+1 on Primary Arms! Great optics for the money!

Robert

zfields
12-19-2011, 8:43 PM
I have a baska plinker on my 10/22, thats the ONLY rifle I would consider it on. Works fine on it, good reviews.

All the other stuff, and on a real rifle, Id pass on.

Viagrow
12-19-2011, 9:02 PM
Stay away from anything Barska.

Stillwell_707
12-19-2011, 9:52 PM
how are the ncstar scopes?

Don29palms
12-19-2011, 9:55 PM

They're every bit as good as the Barska scopes.

Waste of money

Tank 57
12-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Optics are one place where brand names do mean something.

Josh3239
12-19-2011, 10:31 PM

Tried one, couldn't hold zero on a .223.

Merc1138
12-19-2011, 11:23 PM

Dude, before you ask another question about brands of scope... unless your idea of a low end scope is primary arms, the answer is going to be "it's garbage". PA is about the lowest cost you can get and be reasonable.

Yes, I know you don't want to read "you get what you pay for, spend more money". But the fact is, optics are one of the few things these days where you really do get what you pay for. I'm not going to say you need a $1500 nightforce. However you should put your wallet away and save up till you've got around $200, then you can check out some low end Bushnell and Nikon models.

Ignore the tacticool crap on low end scopes, since it's all gimmicks. You don't need raised turrets, you don't need a laser, you don't need illumination, you don't need rails mounted on the scope, you don't need an included set of rings, you don't need a flashlight built in, you don't need multiple reticle colors, you don't need 24x magnification(I'll take crystal clear 7x over garbage blurry 20x any day of the week)

You DO need a scope that isn't going to fall apart within 100 rounds causing you to spend even more money on a replacement.

Don29palms
12-20-2011, 7:12 AM
ARs are not cheap. The phrase "Buy once cry once" definitely applies. I like to shoot. I go out almost every week end. When I shoot my ARs I usually go through a minimum of 300rds. There are guys that shoot alot more than I do. Good optics are an investment. Cheap chicom garbage is a waste of money that will piss you off.

shadow65
12-20-2011, 7:37 AM
One of the best Less expensive scopes I've seen is the Nikon Buckmaster.

Coyote Brown
12-20-2011, 7:44 AM
Nikon prostaff with a BDC reticle made for 223 is solid clear and less then $170.00.

17+1
12-20-2011, 8:50 AM
Superior scope for not much more:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/950843/bushnell-elite-3200-tactical-rifle-scope-10x-40mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Optics+-+Scopes+-+Under+12X-_-PriceCompListing-_-950843

HonkingAntelope
12-20-2011, 9:54 AM
Dude, before you ask another question about brands of scope... unless your idea of a low end scope is primary arms, the answer is going to be "it's garbage". PA is about the lowest cost you can get and be reasonable.

Yes, I know you don't want to read "you get what you pay for, spend more money". But the fact is, optics are one of the few things these days where you really do get what you pay for. I'm not going to say you need a $1500 nightforce. However you should put your wallet away and save up till you've got around $200, then you can check out some low end Bushnell and Nikon models.

Ignore the tacticool crap on low end scopes, since it's all gimmicks. You don't need raised turrets, you don't need a laser, you don't need illumination, you don't need rails mounted on the scope, you don't need an included set of rings, you don't need a flashlight built in, you don't need multiple reticle colors, you don't need 24x magnification(I'll take crystal clear 7x over garbage blurry 20x any day of the week)

You DO need a scope that isn't going to fall apart within 100 rounds causing you to spend even more money on a replacement.

I'm gonna go slightly against the grain here. I have a $70 NCstar 6-24x scope, and it worked without any real issues for me. Certainly not the sort of issues like not being able to hold a zero or POI shifting by several MOA after changing magnification. Maybe I just got lucky, I don't know. If all you're going to be doing is daytime paper punching to less than 300 yards, and your optics budget is less than $100, NCstar will do. Just buy it from a place that has a decent return policy if you do get a dud.

I'm all for buy once cry once (or buy a lot and cry a lot), but not everyone is lucky enough to have a well-paying job with no financial obligations like family and such.

Merc1138
12-20-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm gonna go slightly against the grain here. I have a $70 NCstar 6-24x scope, and it worked without any real issues for me. Certainly not the sort of issues like not being able to hold a zero or POI shifting by several MOA after changing magnification. Maybe I just got lucky, I don't know. If all you're going to be doing is daytime paper punching to less than 300 yards, and your optics budget is less than $100, NCstar will do. Just buy it from a place that has a decent return policy if you do get a dud.

I'm all for buy once cry once (or buy a lot and cry a lot), but not everyone is lucky enough to have a well-paying job with no financial obligations like family and such.

And I bet that your ncstar isn't anywhere near as clear as a 3-9x Nikon or Bushnell in the $200 range. All 24x does for you in a low quality scope like NCstars garbage, is compensate for the poor image quality with higher magnification.

five.five-six
12-20-2011, 10:29 AM
glass makes the rifle. I am a home HiFi contractor. I often tell customers that a nice subwoffer will not make their system sound great, but a cheep sub will bake a nice system sound awful. scopes are like subwoffers in that respect

Merc1138
12-20-2011, 10:43 AM
glass makes the rifle. I am a home HiFi contractor. I often tell customers that a nice subwoffer will not make their system sound great, but a cheep sub will bake a nice system sound awful. scopes are like subwoffers in that respect

Cheap subs(home and car audio) sound like someone shaking a shoebox with petrified dog turds rattling around inside.

The point isn't to spend a fortune, the point is to avoid the garbage. People have been recommending $150-$250 scopes. If you are so broke that doubling a $70 budget is going to mean you won't be able to put food on the table, shooting is not the hobby for you. This is not meant as a slight against those wanting to shoot on a budget, it's doable. However if you want to do it on a budget you need patience.

five.five-six
12-20-2011, 11:23 AM
high power shooters compete at ranges of 1k yards with iron sights... just saying

jetspeedz
12-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Stay away from the cheap stuff, you really do get what you pay for in optics. check out my review on scopes in my sig.

good luck

HonkingAntelope
12-20-2011, 12:45 PM
And I bet that your ncstar isn't anywhere near as clear as a 3-9x Nikon or Bushnell in the $200 range. All 24x does for you in a low quality scope like NCstars garbage, is compensate for the poor image quality with higher magnification.

I don't have any Nikon or Bushnell scopes, but the optical clarity, while decent, is nowhere near what I see through my ACOG or Leupold. :D

But again, you do get what you pay for. If your budget can handle a $1000 optic, by all means go with that. If your budget is <$100, some sacrifices need to be made.

Merc1138
12-20-2011, 12:54 PM
I don't have any Nikon or Bushnell scopes, but the optical clarity, while decent, is nowhere near what I see through my ACOG or Leupold. :D

But again, you do get what you pay for. If your budget can handle a $1000 optic, by all means go with that. If your budget is <$100, some sacrifices need to be made.

True, but the difference between a $200 bushnell 3200 and an ACOG is a lot smaller, than the difference between the bushnell 3200 and the ncstar/barska garbage.

Caseless
12-22-2011, 11:41 AM
This scope is perfect for any 22LR black rifle.:yes::yes:

Bosley
12-22-2011, 12:45 PM
I don't know about that scope but the objective looks pretty good...I've got an old 4x44 tasco wcp and it's crazy how easy it is to pick up targets...it's great...but I just purchased a tasco 6-24x42 and I'm not sure what happened to the 42 but even on 6x it's like looking thru a peep hole...I guess it's the long tube...It's actually a decent scope for picking off hogs way out there but I think it would be a nightmare picking up something like a deer...which is why on an assault rifle you need a low power setting and also a good objective sight...that barska looks like it would pick up a target easy. The next scope I buy, I'm going to the scope store and pestering the sales clerk until I look thru one that I like...