PDA

View Full Version : Gun Cabinet or Individual Hard Cases

maidendeth13
12-19-2011, 4:44 PM
Hi All,

I'm a college student with a quick question on the best way to secure some firearms.

I just picked up my 3rd rifle and am trying to figure out the best way to secure everything. Right now I have my other 2 rifles in padlocked hard cases (1 nice pelican and 1 alright Plano). My 15-22 also has a cable lock on it at all times as this one would be the most interesting to any roommate I figure. I'm not really worried about theft, (I mean I am but anyone who wants them is going to be able to take them regardless...) but my main concern is curious roommates who want to check them out (right now only the roommate I know is aware I own any guns in the first place). I trust the other 3 roommates but figured it smart not to advertise anyways. My bedroom door is always locked but it's just a standard key lock, no deadbolt.

My question now is would I be better served by buying another hard case for my new 870 or would I be better off getting a gun cabinet like this one? I understand that for any serious thief that cabinet is just a convenient way for them to walk off with everything at once but the way they're secured now isn't really much better IMO.

Anyways, I can't afford a true safe (and don't want to move it when I move this summer) and I don't want to buy another expensive hard case for this gun (and those that will follow). Think that cabinet is a reasonable way to go about things for the next few months?

Thanks

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg80/outrigger13/Screenshot2011-12-19at54707PM.png

razr
12-19-2011, 4:53 PM
I think you know what you want, dont you?

Keep your ammo separate so the curiosity doesn't turn into stupidity and you'll be fine till you move.

maidendeth13
12-19-2011, 5:26 PM
I think you know what you want, dont you?

Keep your ammo separate so the curiosity doesn't turn into stupidity and you'll be fine till you move.

I think I have an idea but I thought some people on here might raise points I hadn't considered yet.

Will keep the ammo locked up separately for sure. I really don't foresee any issues with either option, but why take chances.

baih777
12-19-2011, 5:30 PM
just a suggestion.
you can remove the firing pins or AR type remove the bolt.
get a smaller sentry safe or similar thats a real safe that you could put the ammo and gun parts in .
those cabinets pry open with a crowbar.

smart thinking on your part. better safe than sorry.

bsg
12-20-2011, 11:34 AM
you are sharing a place with several people; you need a safe for your firearms.

i suggest you check out listings on CL, and make your money stretch as far as possible. i have seen some good deals come up here on the forum as well.

paul0660
12-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Gun cabinet or similar. There are deals out there.

I think you should have considered this two guns ago, but most people don't.

maidendeth13
12-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Gun cabinet or similar. There are deals out there.

I think you should have considered this two guns ago, but most people don't.

Should have. Of course at the time I didn't foresee picking up 2 more within 3 months... :facepalm:

Think I will pick up that cabinet on my way back up to school if I don't find anything better on craigslist or the marketplace here first. Will keep checking back here to see if any other suggestions or things to think about have popped up though.

Thanks everyone!