PDA

View Full Version : Quick AR-15 transportation question.

Exdc
12-19-2011, 4:27 PM
So, I finished my AR-15 (pictures eventually)... I need to get some clarification on how I plan to transport it.

I've read the codes, and searched most of the threads I can find on the subject, but I was wondering if there is a legal difference between locked in a case (e.g. cable lock through mag well) and in a locking case (well.. I'm sure you know what that is)... I want to make sure that when I start to take my gun around, I'm following all the rules. So far it's never left my house since I assembled it.

I have a rifle bag, but I don't have any sort of lock to lock the zippers together; would that even count? what I do have is a cable lock (as you might have deduced).

Am I okay putting the cable lock through the magazine well, and putting it in the bag?

****EDIT**** I forgot to mention that I drive a minivan... No trunk. Is it okay to have the case visible? Is it required?

ironhiide
12-19-2011, 4:40 PM
IAn Ar-15 is a long gun, no need for a locked case. Just make sure the rifle is unloaded and no mag inserted, and that there is not a bullet button wrench or other device present that defeats the mag lock.

d sauce
12-19-2011, 4:46 PM
If you have a car and there is no trunk pass thru, that counts as a locked container. Thats how I roll.

Just use common sense and leave ammo and magazines separate from the rifle.

lorax3
12-19-2011, 4:48 PM
The Calguns Wiki (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting) discusses transport.

Aside from 'registered assault weapons', California requires only that long guns be unloaded when transported - no lock or case required. Federal law regarding school zones requires that long guns be in a locked container or a locking gun rack while passing through those 1000 foot zones.

Exdc
12-19-2011, 4:50 PM
I drive a minivan, so I don't have a trunk. I don't intend to keep it visible, because I'd rather not have it stolen for several obvious reason... Is that okay?

I might add that I have a school on my street... Not within a thousand yards, but still I drive past it. So basically to be effectively legal, I must keep it locked. Does the cable lock count?

1forall
12-19-2011, 4:51 PM
I'm not an expert nor do I know the exact answer to this but when transporting my rifles, I take extra precautions. They are locked with cable locks, inside of a locked rifle bag, inside of my locked trunk. This may be over doing it but I love my new hobby and refuse to loose the right to own firearms.

d sauce
12-19-2011, 4:55 PM
So are you just driving around with it in your minivan or what? The only time I have a gun in my car is when I am on my way to shoot it. I don't like the idea of leaving it unattended in my car due to it possibly being stolen.

Exdc
12-19-2011, 4:57 PM
No, I'm not going to be taking it everywhere with me; however if I stop for lunch, I'd rather not have to worry about it being walked off with. I don't fancy the idea of taking it IN with me...

Librarian
12-19-2011, 4:58 PM
I drive a minivan, so I don't have a trunk. I don't intend to keep it visible, because I'd rather not have it stolen for several obvious reason... Is that okay?

I might add that I have a school on my street... Not within a thousand yards, but still I drive past it. So basically to be effectively legal, I must keep it locked. Does the cable lock count?

No, a cable lock does not count.

You could use such a lock to wrap around hard-case handles, or to connect a case to a loop in the car or as a paperweight - once you walk out of the gun store, those cable and trigger locks have no existence in CA law related to transporting firearms.

But a simple luggage lock linking the zipper pulls on a soft case DOES count.

stix213
12-19-2011, 5:01 PM
IAn Ar-15 is a long gun, no need for a locked case. Just make sure the rifle is unloaded and no mag inserted, and that there is not a bullet button wrench or other device present that defeats the mag lock.

Federal GFSZ law requires a locked case or locking gun rack for all long guns, not just handguns.

Go to Kmart, get the cheap little mini masterlocks for like $8 or whatever they cost, put them through the zippers. Problem solved.

Don29palms
12-19-2011, 5:01 PM

Why not have a magazine in it? I always have an empty magazine in my ARs when I transport them.

If you have a car and there is no trunk pass thru, that counts as a locked container. Thats how I roll.

Just use common sense and leave ammo and magazines separate from the rifle.

Why is that?

Exdc
12-19-2011, 5:04 PM
Okay. Luggage lock. Gotcha. Thanks guys!

AeroEngi
12-19-2011, 5:47 PM
Why not have a magazine in it? I always have an empty magazine in my ARs when I transport them.

Same here. I always transport my AR with an unloaded magazine inserted into the magazine well to give the appearance of a "fixed" magazine.

tanakasan
12-19-2011, 6:10 PM
The Calguns Wiki (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting) discusses transport.

Quote:
Aside from 'registered assault weapons', California requires only that long guns be unloaded when transported - no lock or case required. Federal law regarding school zones requires that long guns be in a locked container or a locking gun rack while passing through those 1000 foot zones.

Federal GFSZ law requires a locked case or locking gun rack for all long guns, not just handguns.

Go to Kmart, get the cheap little mini masterlocks for like $8 or whatever they cost, put them through the zippers. Problem solved.

So I am unclear...locked case or no?

I was under the impression that, as a long gun, no action lock nor locked case are required.

Also, I travel with a mag inserted in the lower so that a tool must be used to remove it and a standard cap mag cannot be readily inserted.

Robert

Librarian
12-19-2011, 6:13 PM

Same here. I always transport my AR with an unloaded magazine inserted into the magazine well to give the appearance of a "fixed" magazine.

With a magazine-locked weapon, it's a matter of preference, not law. Any magazine inserted will require a tool to remove - the weapon is legal with or without a mag inserted.

Making it obvious for any LEO who might not be up to speed isn't a bad idea.

Nor*Cal
12-19-2011, 6:33 PM
I purchased a MagVault and a lockable case. I live across from a school and do not want to take any chances when going to the range.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o128/NorCaltrx450r/ar-15lock-1.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o128/NorCaltrx450r/ar-15lockinstalled-1.jpg

Librarian
12-19-2011, 7:51 PM
I purchased a MagVault and a lockable case. I live across from a school and do not want to take any chances when going to the range.

Whatever makes you comfortable, but that's overkill.

Army
12-20-2011, 6:50 AM
If you do not traverse a GFSZ, you can legally duct tape it to the hood.

There are no ammo transport laws, other than the gun cannot be "loaded" (round in a position to be fired, filled magazine inserted). Filled mags and loose ammo can be in the same carry case as the firearm.

While federal law does require a locked case for all modern firearms, California law does not. It's up to you whether you want to take the chance of bumping into a federal agent looking for you in particular.

Simply to keep all my shooting gear in one pile in the 4runner, I use hard Pelican cases that are big enough to handle the gun, ammo, tools, magazines, lube, and a couple of rags.

sigstroker
12-25-2011, 12:57 AM
Cops don't enforce Federal law, so unless the FBI hangs out on your street you don't have much to worry about regarding Federal law.

1forall
12-25-2011, 3:37 AM
Cops don't enforce Federal law, so unless the FBI hangs out on your street you don't have much to worry about regarding Federal law.

What? So if you get pulled over with a...nevermind. SMH