PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a leverl action rifle...

uglyzombie
12-19-2011, 3:54 PM
... and I wanted some tips from the experts here at Calguns. I've seen a lot of heat between the Marlin / Winchester / Mossberg camps, and honestly they all make what seem to be valid points.

Personally, I've just always loved the aesthetic and feel of a lever action, and I'm looking to make my first purchase. I was really interested in the Marlin 1895G 45/70, but after some reading it seems more complex than that. I hear some complaints that Marlins just aren't what they used to be.

General questions are:

1) What's a good, solid, fun to shoot lever action? Defense is also a big consideration, as I camp out often.

2) Where in the Los Angeles area would I even be able to purchase a lever action? I perused the vendor area of this forum, but it seems like there's so much to go from, it's a bit overwhelming.

Anyway, much appreciated in advance - any advice at this point would be a step in the right direction for me.

Cheers,

UglyZ :43:

zfields
12-19-2011, 4:09 PM
Ive been lusting over the 45/70 GBL, which is an upgraded version og the G.

Davidson's recently got them back in stock, check gun genie to find a local dealer for it.

Down Range
12-19-2011, 4:12 PM
I'm not an expert so I probably should have stayed out of your thread. But since I didn't I'll tell you this... I have a Pre 1964, Winchester model 94 in 30-30 and I love shooting it (and so does my wife). The gun is light to carry, the recoils feels light (as least to me) and it's much more accurate that I'll probably every be.

Since I wanted a pre 1964, I had to search for a couple of months to find the gun in the condition that I wanted but it was worth it.

Lever guns are very fun!

Trevor
12-19-2011, 4:20 PM
What do you want to do with it besides camp defense?

Hunt? If so, what animals?
Plink?

uglyzombie
12-19-2011, 4:22 PM
@zfields - Thanks for the tips! I was just reading about the GBL before coming back to the thread. I'm going to look for some reviews and see if that's what I should be going after.

@Down Range - May I ask why you wanted a pre-1964? It sounds like a nice piece. The first lever action I ever fired was a 30-30, and that's precisely what made me fall in love with them. I'm a much bigger boy now (fired it when I was 18, I'm 30 now), so I'm looking for a nice kicker. :P

uglyzombie
12-19-2011, 4:24 PM
What do you want to do with it besides camp defense?

Hunt? If so, what animals?
Plink?

Camp defense and recreational shooting, mostly. I'm not an active hunter, but I've considered it as something I may be open to exploring at some time in my life.

I know the 1895G / GBL is good for deer, moose, and bear. In terms of camp defense, I'm fine with that. But also know a 30-30 could pack a wallop too.

zfields
12-19-2011, 4:25 PM
@zfields - Thanks for the tips! I was just reading about the GBL before coming back to the thread. I'm going to look for some reviews and see if that's what I should be going after.

Its basically the G, but with a "pistolgrip" style stock, longer mag tube, and "big loop" lever.

Blaze Kenobi
12-19-2011, 4:26 PM
Don't forget a Daisy Red Rider, some of the best ever made!!

Down Range
12-20-2011, 8:01 AM
@Down Range - May I ask why you wanted a pre-1964? It sounds like a nice piece. The first lever action I ever fired was a 30-30, and that's precisely what made me fall in love with them. I'm a much bigger boy now (fired it when I was 18, I'm 30 now), so I'm looking for a nice kicker. :PIn 1964 Winchester changed the manufacturing process of the Model 94 in order to reduce manufacturing costs. Here is a link to an article about pre 64 Model 94s.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/win_pre_64_M94.htm
Pre 64s hold their value well but the one disadvantage is that they eject cases upward which means any scope must be side mounted. I don't use a scope on this gun so that was not an issue for me.

OC-Indian
12-20-2011, 8:14 AM
Never understood why .45ACP levers weren't made. I'm saving my nickels for a 44mag lever

dfletcher
12-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Taken with a grain of salt, since aquiring Marlin Remington has not done well and supposedly temporarily closed the Marlin production line until they get their QC issues resolved - that's the word at the Marlin Forum anyway.

There are plenty of older Marlins out there if one wants an 1895 GG version. I have one in 45/70 and it gives quite a belt with proper reloads. Factory ammo is quite tame, if buying a 45/70 Marlin I think reloading or buying specialized ammo from Buffalo Bore or Garrett is a must, otherwise you're using only about 65% of the cartridge's capability.

Curley Red
12-20-2011, 10:40 AM
I have a Winchester 94 in 30/30 and 44 magnum and have been shooting both for over 14 years with no problems. My 44 magnum has had at least 5000+ rounds through it and not a single issue. It is my favorite and for me most accurate lever action I have.

zfields
12-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Taken with a grain of salt, since aquiring Marlin Remington has not done well and supposedly temporarily closed the Marlin production line until they get their QC issues resolved - that's the word at the Marlin Forum anyway.

There are plenty of older Marlins out there if one wants an 1895 GG version. I have one in 45/70 and it gives quite a belt with proper reloads. Factory ammo is quite tame, if buying a 45/70 Marlin I think reloading or buying specialized ammo from Buffalo Bore or Garrett is a must, otherwise you're using only about 65% of the cartridge's capability.

I checked out a 1895 GBL the other day at cabelas, looked pretty good to me as far as smooth action and tight fitting.

Latigo
12-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Absolutely stay away from the new Marlins. They have unresolved problems. Older marlins are truly great rifles. The change was sometime between 1997 and 1999. Now there's talk about Marlin closing the doors in North Haven and moving it all to Remington in New York and Kentucky.
Sorta sucks that all of these companys seem to be merging under just a few roofs.

civilsnake
12-20-2011, 11:26 AM
My understanding is that the Marlins have the strongest receiver. Also, they side eject v. top eject, so mounting an optical device is much simpler. Unless you're going for a specific cowboy look, the Marlin seems like the way to go.

If it was just for fun/plinking/protection, .44mag would be my choice.

Scott1600
12-20-2011, 2:27 PM
1894SS Marlin in .44M. Should solve most "problems" around the camp. Plus good brush gun, deer, pig, black bear, etc... 10 +1 cap. Be advised, 44mag ammo is expensive, so plan on saving your brass. Agree with the Marlington problem as late...
Too many big spooky critters in the woods these days.

Which Way Out
12-20-2011, 2:32 PM
I can never the model number but I love my 35 Rem.

Curley Red
12-20-2011, 3:27 PM
44mag ammo is expensive

One of the best reasons to start doing your own reloads.

ivsamhell
12-20-2011, 3:30 PM
I'll be after a Henry. they look and feel amazing. also 100% American.

The Deuce
12-20-2011, 3:46 PM
I have a Marlin 336 in 30-30. It's a great gun. 30-30 is a good caliber for deer and smaller game, and is still cheap and available just about anywhere.
My rifle was made in 2008, and I've had no problems with it whatsoever.

zfields
12-20-2011, 4:02 PM
I'll be after a Henry. they look and feel amazing. also 100% American.

I wish they made 45/70 lever guns with a decent mag capacity.

Joe Register
12-20-2011, 4:03 PM
I have a Browning 1886 carbine in 45/70 that I took pig hunting one time. You don't notice it when shooting at a pig but on the range for practice 45/70 out of a light gun with a metal butt plate takes its toll. 45/70 is also expensive. It is a beautiful gun that almost never gets used. If you plan to shoot a lot I would suggest something smaller in caliber with cheaper ammo (say 38/357 for cowboy shooting or a smaller rifle cartridge for hunting). I can say from experience that 45/70 will knock a medium size pig on its *** and keep it there. It is almost overkill.

Thomas1190
12-20-2011, 4:03 PM
Absolutely stay away from the new Marlins. They have unresolved problems. Older marlins are truly great rifles. The change was sometime between 1997 and 1999. Now there's talk about Marlin closing the doors in North Haven and moving it all to Remington in New York and Kentucky.
Sorta sucks that all of these companys seem to be merging under just a few roofs.

Remington had nothing to do with Marlin in 1997-1999. Remington acquired Marlin in 2008. Up until then all the Marlins were made in North Haven, CT with the JM stamp on the barrel. My 1894 Cowboy was made in 1999 and is one of the great examples of true Marlin worksmanship.

The North Haven plant has been closed and production has already started in New York from my understanding. The newer remington marlins dont have the JM stamp on the barrel. They have a REM proof stamp now.

Joe Register
12-20-2011, 4:04 PM
I also have a Browning 1895 in 30-06 that I have yet to use. Lever action plus 30-06. What's not to like?

bill_k_lopez
12-20-2011, 4:15 PM
Remington had nothing to do with Marlin in 1997-1999. Remington acquired Marlin in 2008. Up until then all the Marlins were made in North Haven, CT with the JM stamp on the barrel. My 1894 Cowboy was made in 1999 and is one of the great examples of true Marlin worksmanship.

The North Haven plant has been closed and production has already started in New York from my understanding. The newer remington marlins dont have the JM stamp on the barrel. They have a REM proof stamp now.

You are 100% correct. I was on the hunt for a 1895CB 45-70 (which I purchased out of state, a 2009 model which is in PERFECT condition). late 2009 and 2010 rifles were the ones with issues, I was told MANY times by guys on the Marlin owners forum to look for pre 2009 guns to make sure you get a quality rifle.

OP

I almost purchased a Winchester because finding a Marlin was so hard - the Winchester 1886 Short 45-70 was going to hit me for about $1500 new, and its not made by Winchester, its made by Miroku in Japan.

Along with my Marlin 1895CB I also own 2 Rossi 44mags - the 24" octagon blue and the 20" stainless carbine.

If you'd like to get together sometime to shoot mine let me know, the 44s we can shoot indoor, but we'd need to make a trip to Angele's to shoot the 45-70. I think the Rossi's are pretty nice if you want a pistol caliber lever, they do make a 45-70 (the Rio Grande) also.

In looking for a lever in So Cal, its tough. The Rossi's I had to order sight unseen, and the Marlin I had to buy out of state (I was given one picture from one side of the receiver). I can give you a link to a website for used levers out of state - PM me if you're interested.

jonzer77
12-20-2011, 5:20 PM
Sorry to thread jack but I have been looking at a lever in 22lr and I saw one with a 15+1 capacity. Are these legal in CA since they aren't in a magazine?

loosewreck
12-20-2011, 5:24 PM
Sorry to thread jack but I have been looking at a lever in 22lr and I saw one with a 15+1 capacity. Are these legal in CA since they aren't in a magazine?

Yes, tube fed lever action is exempt.

Joewy
12-20-2011, 5:27 PM
Browning BLR. Best lever gun I have. You can get them in Take down too. They are not cheap. Its not like buying a 30 year old 30-30 but you can get them in real rifle calibers up to 338 win mag. Very pretty guns too and never lose their value.
If you just want a general purpose gun get it in 308. Cheap and good. :D

zfields
12-20-2011, 5:29 PM
I think the Rossi's are pretty nice if you want a pistol caliber lever, they do make a 45-70 (the Rio Grande) also.

In looking for a lever in So Cal, its tough. The Rossi's I had to order sight unseen, and the Marlin I had to buy out of state (I was given one picture from one side of the receiver). I can give you a link to a website for used levers out of state - PM me if you're interested.

I checked out the Rio Grande locally lately, thing was junk IMO. Very cheap feeling, crappy wood, just was not what would consider a quality firearm.

loosewreck
12-20-2011, 5:46 PM
2) Where in the Los Angeles area would I even be able to purchase a lever action? I perused the vendor area of this forum, but it seems like there's so much to go from, it's a bit overwhelming.

Try not to get overwhelmed, its really very easy, specially when doing a PPT for a long gun. Not only is it your best bet, but the Calguns classifieds is an amazing resource, the only draw back is that its extremely addicting.
If you have any questions, just do a search or start a thread and ask, LOL you'll learn way more than you'll need to know with all the answers you'll get.

I purchased a near mint 30 year old Marlin .38spl/.357mag 1894c for far less than the price of a new model a couple years ago through the Calguns classifeds.

Latigo
12-20-2011, 5:53 PM

Where in my post did I say that? Are you just skimming and pulling up whatever you want to? The ownership and QC practices changed during that period. Slow down, bud.

S.A.
12-20-2011, 6:18 PM
Martin B Retting gun store in Culver City has a variety of levers on the racks that you can hold and closely inspect.

greyhd
12-20-2011, 6:47 PM
I'd also recommend looking for a pre-64 Winchester 94 in 30/30. I picked one up awhile back and they are great shooting rifles with some nice history. Chances are it will be C&R so that makes PPTs easier.

Bought a Henry recently and was very impressed at the quality and value of the rifle. If you can find a stocking dealer I'd defenitly check them out.

Thomas1190
12-20-2011, 7:46 PM
Where in my post did I say that? Are you just skimming and pulling up whatever you want to? The ownership and QC practices changed during that period. Slow down, bud.

Sorry about that, didnt know thats what you meant. When you mentioned "new Marlins", being a Marlin owner i, and possibly other members interpreted that as being the new Remington Marlins. They are the ones having the bad quality control. Then you mentioned those dates and closing facilities. Mine was made in 1999 and is an absoluetly beautiful rifle. I havent really heard anything bad about Marlins made in the late 90s. Sure, maybe they arent what they used to be back in the day but we could say that about a lot of companies these days unfortunately.

Mojaveman
12-20-2011, 8:43 PM
I wouldn't go with a .45-70 unless you are specifically going to hunt large game or want to spend a lot on ammo shooting it. If you just want to plink go with a .38/.357 because .38 Special is relatively cheap. If you're going to hunt medium sized game go with a .30-30.

I have a Winchester 94 in .30-30 but mostly like it for nostalgic reasons. The Marlin 336 is more ergonomic and better suited for a scope if you choose to use one.

375win
12-20-2011, 8:44 PM
uglyZ,

at Greta's Guns in Simi Valley, they have an awesome Marlin levergun, in .444 Marlin caliber, with a scope and leather sling, asking $500 which is a great price. I handled it yesterday, great condition !!!
I prefer Marlin over Winchester simply because Marlin is easier to disassemble for cleaning and tune-up of trigger and action. But that's no knock against Winchester, I have a couple of Win leverguns too.

.444 is kinda big for just plinking, but great fun anyway. I have one and put a Beartooth Recoil Pad on it, no shoulder pain at all. I use the 240-gr ammo from Wisconsin Cartridge, great price and very accurate. With the right hunting ammo you can take any game animal around the continent.

Also, check Turner's On-Line Used Gun Rack, they almost always have a levergun or 3 for sale. Turner's Reseda has a Win 30-30 right now.

Also at Greta's, they have a Marlin Cowboy, octagon barrel, in .45 Long Colt caliber, I handled it yesterday, very nice. A fun caliber, and you can get a Ruger Blackhawk sixshooter pistol in matching caliber. And in both, you can safely use the hotter load +P ammo for hunting. Asking price is $700, I don't know if that's a good deal or too high. Beautiful rifle though.

Cheers,

375win

uglyzombie
12-21-2011, 2:35 PM
Wow! I never expected so many responses. Gonna take my time to read through all of it, but just wanted to drop a thanks for everyone's helpfulness. This really is a top of the line board!

glockman19
12-21-2011, 2:55 PM
I love lever action rifles...have a 1894 Stainless in .38/.357 and .44/.44mag.

I will switch it up on a .22lr to a Henry Golden Boy....and maybe get one of those Rosi Ranch Hand .357's through EBR as a single shot conversion.

SoCal Bob
12-21-2011, 4:37 PM
I see that others have concerns about Marlin's QC so you need to check that out. Turner's however has two Marlin levers on sale until December 29th.

1895 GBL 45/70 - $589.98
336W W/Sling 30/30 - $399.98

Page 34 in the Winter catalog: http://smpdigitaledition.com/publication/?i=89017

Also keep an eye out in the Marketplace. I bought a Glenfield 30 from a Calgunner a while ago for about $300. The Glenfield is a Marlin spinoff brand and is bsically the same as the 336 but with different wood.

NoHeavyHitter
12-21-2011, 4:59 PM
As much as it pains me to say this, I can tell you that the finest quality leverguns are currently being produced by Miroku (in Japan). Miroku has been making Browning’s leverguns for years and the guns they made for Winchester were so much better they made the US-built Winchesters appear shamefully poor by comparison.

What this means is that if you want a fine quality levergun, you’re going to have to buy a vintage gun from Winchester or Marlin – or decide to go with a rifle made by Miroku.

My most recent purchase was a Winchester 1892 in .44magnum. It’s absolutely beautiful and perfectly smooth. It was made by Miroku and set me back $800.

DanHuuN
12-21-2011, 7:13 PM
Check mine out.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=513841

Thomas1190
12-21-2011, 7:43 PM
^^^ That would make a nice truck/woods gun! Looks great, i like the compact size of it. Good luck with the sale.

zfields
12-21-2011, 7:44 PM
Check mine out.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=513841

nice, to bad it isnt the 4570 GBL : )

Twistedsteel
12-21-2011, 8:39 PM
I just took possession of my 45 70 gbl today, I love it. I bought it used from a guy in NY. Its a pre Remington "JM", I've heard of people getting good Remlins but I didn't really want to take a chance. So I started searching online and the first day I found an old ad from another forum. I think the ad was like 8 months old, and the guy still had it, I couldn't believe it. There out there just gotta search em out. I'm not tryin to discourage you from getting a new one but I would say look it over pretty good before doing so.

jyo
12-21-2011, 8:52 PM
Yes, I too believe the Japanese made lever-guns ARE superior to the recent American made guns in both fit and finish. I also endorse the Browning BLR---mine is an older Japan made rifle with the steel receiver in 308. I've mounted an older Leupold !.5-5X in Warne QR rings. I have also owned several older (pre-safety) Marlin lever-guns in 357 and 44 Mag---never should have traded them away long ago. These were very finely made short rifles that shot handgun ammo. The 45-70 Govt is not a plinking round and is expensive---it kicks! Have fun!

RoyBatty
12-21-2011, 9:00 PM
I have a Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 that was made in the mid 50's...GREAT rifle..very accurate and well built, my oldest uses it as his deer rifle.

I also have a Winchester Model 1892 in 44 mag that was made in Japan and it's one of my favorite rifles..light and handy

I just acquired a Marlin 1895GS in 45-70...cant wait to pick it up.

Lever guns are alot of fun!

Retzius
12-21-2011, 10:34 PM
The Browning BLR is light years beyond the Marlin. You pay for it, but It's worth the cost.

jimbos44
12-22-2011, 9:46 AM
If you are looking for more "THUMP", take a look at the .450 marlin. If you want long range, look into the Browning BLR or an old Savage model 99. They are not tube fed, so you can use "boattail" ty

jimbos44
12-22-2011, 9:48 AM
sorry , fat fingers, boat tail type ammo. Just something to load your mind with

ns3v3n
12-22-2011, 10:16 AM
What about Rossi lever guns??? ARe they any good, i'm in the same boat as the op on deciding which one to get.

zfields
12-22-2011, 10:24 AM
What about Rossi lever guns??? ARe they any good, i'm in the same boat as the op on deciding which one to get.

I checked out a few locally, they are very cheap feeling, crappy wood, and "loose"

YMMV.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
12-22-2011, 2:43 PM
I have a Rossi 16" and a Marlin 1894CB 20", both in .45 Colt. The Marlin definitely shows better fit and finish than the Rossi. The Rossi, however, still runs like a champ, is as accurate as the Marlin (at least at 25 yards) and is lighter and better balanced than the longer barreled Marlin.

The Marlin is a darn sight easier to field strip, though.

scarville
12-22-2011, 4:19 PM
The Browning BLR is light years beyond the Marlin. You pay for it, but It's worth the cost.
If you want a lever gun that shoots a full size rifle cartridge the the BLR is very good choice. I own two of them in 308 and they are on the short list of guns to never let go of.

ETA: If you want a PCC then look for a used Marlin 1894. Or wait until Remington gets its QC issues resoved.

sycarlsbad
12-22-2011, 5:54 PM
The Conn. built Marlin 1894c are nice rifles. They are getting tougher to find because that factory has shut down and evidently the new ones are pretty bad. I've seen some on GunBroker.com and it looks like Precision Arms has one in stock (http://www.precisionarms.com/http:/precisionarms.com/just-in-marlin-1894c-357-mag-and-a-ruger-gp100-357-mag). They're nice cause you can carry one ammo for what that's worth.

GreggE
12-23-2011, 9:22 PM
Winchester model 94 30-30 awsome saddle gun, great in the bush being small enough to move around. packs a punch too. shot a couple coyotes at just over 100 yards just using the stock sights.....no regreats with this gun

tobd55
12-24-2011, 3:11 PM
Check out Rossi's 1892 clone. Good price, very decent product. I have a 44 mag. Sweet little gun.

bill_k_lopez
12-24-2011, 3:22 PM
I wouldn't go with a .45-70 unless you are specifically going to hunt large game or want to spend a lot on ammo shooting it. If you just want to plink go with a .38/.357 because .38 special is relatively cheap. If you're going to hunt medium sized game go with a .30-30.

I have a Winchester 94 in .30-30 but mostly like it for nostalgic reasons. The Marlin 336 is more ergonomic and better suited for a scope if you choose to use one.

45-70 ammo runs about $47 a box for 20...reloading is the ONLY way to go with 45-70..

hummveecop
12-25-2011, 9:42 AM
IMO Hands down Rossi Ranch Hand - my caliber of choice - .44 mag, .45 LC for historical accuracy. Not very practical, but you gotta love it. If I got one, I'd build a belt rig like Josh's n the show.

Go Josh Randall !!!

rudigan
12-25-2011, 9:56 AM
No expert but wanted a lever for fun and to have something as a backup for revolver rounds.
Got a Puma .38/.357 from Big 5 a few years ago for a great price. The factory sights suck but it's a blast to shoot/carry, super light.

Just don't soft (slow/weak) cycle it or you may jam sometimes. If you cycle it with the same authority as properly racking your semi-auto pistol (like your going to rip it off) there are no issues at all.

.38 is pretty cheap to shoot, .357 not so much but feels really good. Very fun gun!

travisbomhoff
12-26-2011, 7:21 PM
IM BUYING A BROWNING BLR IN 30-06 TOMORROW BUT STILL FEELING A LITTLE QUILTY FOR NOT GOING WITH A HENRY. HOW DO THE TWO COMPARE?

luchador768
12-26-2011, 7:54 PM
One of the few guns I regret selling is a Winchester 94 in 44mag. It wa so much fun to shoot, and accurate as anything I have ever owned. They pop up on the FS section

toby
12-26-2011, 7:57 PM
IM BUYING A BROWNING BLR IN 30-06 TOMORROW BUT STILL FEELING A LITTLE QUILTY FOR NOT GOING WITH A HENRY. HOW DO THE TWO COMPARE?

Two different creatures, the Henry has nothing on a Browning BLR, it even lacks behind a Winchester or Marlin......tho it is a good rifle.

skkeeter
12-26-2011, 8:10 PM
I picked up this bad boy a few weeks ago and took it out for the first time last week. It shot fantastic right out of the box with cheap 45/70 ammo. I was hesitant about the recent reviews but took a chance anyways. Mines GTG.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq65/pablo4surf/IMG_0812.jpg

ns3v3n
12-26-2011, 8:29 PM
One of the few guns I regret selling is a Winchester 94 in 44mag. It wa so much fun to shoot, and accurate as anything I have ever owned. They pop up on the FS section

I think i saw 2 or 3 in the for sale section right now.

PA_Hunter
12-26-2011, 9:13 PM
Have you checked-out Chiappa Firearms Ltd? More specifically the 1886 Kodiak series.

OutlawDon
12-27-2011, 12:09 PM
I picked up this bad boy a few weeks ago and took it out for the first time last week. It shot fantastic right out of the box with cheap 45/70 ammo. I was hesitant about the recent reviews but took a chance anyways. Mines GTG.

Where did you purchase this? Been looking for one and they've are hard to find.

Congrats!

skkeeter
12-27-2011, 12:17 PM

Congrats!

I asked my local FFL and he found one from his supplier within 3 days. Guess I just got lucky. I'm super happy with it. It's going to be my new pig gun, replacing my remy 700 in .308.

bill_k_lopez
12-27-2011, 12:19 PM
add to my list now a Marlin 336 30-30 that I purchased Christmas eve here on CG..

GNSLGR1
12-27-2011, 1:42 PM
Taylors Firearms
1886 Rifle .45-70
Manufactured by Chiappa Firearms.
I saw one in at a local firearms store here in Fresno, It was absolutely gorgeous. If I had not already spent my entire firearms allowance for the year, and then some, I would have picked it up. It is at the top of my list for next year.
Good hunting

Twistedsteel
12-27-2011, 7:19 PM

Did you get that through Brown Sporting Goods? Just curious, I had a used blued one sent to him(pre Rem) and he said he just sold a stainless one the day before. Albie

skkeeter
12-27-2011, 8:00 PM
Did you get that through Brown Sporting Goods? Just curious, I had a used blued one sent to him(pre Rem) and he said he just sold a stainless one the day before. Albie

Sure did. Darren is my local FFL.

elSquid
12-27-2011, 9:21 PM

Buds has had them in stock for the last couple of weeks. I guess Marlin did a run recently.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_323/products_id/57852

-- Michael

Go Navy
12-27-2011, 9:32 PM
Before you buy a lever gun, be sure to check out the Henry lever actions, and also the Brownings, called BLRs. BLRs come in various calibers. I've examined one in .243 in great detail, and they are impressive. I've only looked at a Henry in .22, but it was sweet. Henry makes a couple of larger calibers.

If you want long range accuracy, look at the Marlin 336 XLR. I owned one but traded it, which I will probably regret. Great gun.

sprintcar
12-28-2011, 8:13 PM
how is the side ejection on the Marlins for left handers. On the few videos I have seen it looks like it would hit me with it coming out and back towards my face. hope I am wrong.

RAMCHARGER
12-29-2011, 9:30 AM
I picked up a rare Marlin 1894CP .357 (Short/Ported Barrel) on the CG classifieds. I keep it between my mattress when I sleep :)