PDA

View Full Version : tenpercent, I love you!!

Jicko
03-07-2007, 5:15 PM
I just have to say it out loud...

Talked to Wes on Sunday night... and today, I've got the COOLEST thread protector I can ever have... (on my 16" M4 profile barrel) It looks AWESOME!!!

http://images21.fotki.com/v516/photos/2/26966/4693754/IMG_9377-vi.jpg

http://images21.fotki.com/v631/photos/2/26966/4693754/IMG_9383-vi.jpg

http://images22.fotki.com/v724/photos/2/26966/4693754/IMG_9375-vi.jpg

http://images22.fotki.com/v723/photos/2/26966/4693754/IMG_9361-vi.jpg

Some people may not agree with putting a fake-can on, but.... to me, it is just a "thread protector"...

(I love the can so much that I even forget the fact that Wes charged me $5 for a plain old black pistol grip!)

kilword
03-07-2007, 5:26 PM
that'll get some attention.. looks awesome!

Telperion
03-07-2007, 5:35 PM
Is it a solid block of metal? How much weight does it add?

rssslvr
03-07-2007, 5:35 PM
Looks cool.What did it cost you if you don't mind me asking.

Jicko
03-07-2007, 5:44 PM
$40 from tenpercent

It is made by http://spikestactical.com for real firearms... it is not an Airsoft-thingee...

It is pretty much a solid piece of metal.... but it doesn't weight too much... I don't feel much of a different when mounted on the firearm..... to me, I weight less than a loaded 10rounds magazine...

just4fun63
03-07-2007, 5:49 PM
Dammmmm I had just convinced my self that I didn't need one of those and now you go and post a cool :cool: picture and I have to have one.:p

rssslvr
03-07-2007, 5:50 PM
Wow not a bad price.I may have to get one of these next time I get paid.

pewpewguns
03-07-2007, 5:50 PM
I can't get the frickin flash hider off any of my uppers :(

mAdbRaIn
03-07-2007, 6:02 PM
I gotta get me a couple of those. That looks freakin awesome!!

Satex
03-07-2007, 6:43 PM
Save your man2man love for Wes for offline... ;)
The scooter and pink rifles already has me worried enough.

Okami
03-07-2007, 6:43 PM
Looks very nice!

~Okami

Prc329
03-07-2007, 8:43 PM
Welcome to the club.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/naytwan/IMG_0696.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/naytwan/IMG_0734.jpg

Solidsnake87
03-07-2007, 8:55 PM
I'd like to use one of those on my rifle but I can't get the damn flash suppressor off.

tenpercentfirearms
03-07-2007, 10:03 PM
(I love the can so much that I even forget the fact that Wes charged me $5 for a plain old black pistol grip!)I was going to defend myself and say, "$5 is what RRA charges for them."

http://www.rockriverarms.com/catalog-list.cfm?Category=09&Subcat=Lower%20Half%20Parts&storeid=1

The only bad thing is part 84 is mysteriously missing from their parts list.

Now the question is...coincidence or vendor collaboration??? :eek:

Glad you like your fake can. They are cool aren't they?

Jicko
03-07-2007, 10:08 PM
I was going to defend myself and say, "$5 is what RRA charges for them."

http://www.rockriverarms.com/catalog-list.cfm?Category=09&Subcat=Lower%20Half%20Parts&storeid=1

The only bad thing is part 84 is mysteriously missing from their parts list.

Now the question is...coincidence or vendor collaboration??? :eek:

Gosh, I never know that you are so *tight* with them.... :D

My joy on the other 2, 3 items (SpikeCan, MMG and StagAmbiSelector) overwhelm whatever else.... :-)

So, it is all good.... & I still love u.... ha ha ha

Glad you like your fake can. They are cool aren't they?

Oh sure it is.... you better get more of them sold cuz of my free ads for u!

One question tho, should I use a "crush washer" or a "peel washer" or NO "washer" to install the can? Without a washer, it seems that my barrel is poking out a little.....

tenpercentfirearms
03-07-2007, 10:13 PM
I would just install it. The washers are for proper indexing and that doesn't seem to need to be properly indexed.

1norcalvarmintHunter
03-07-2007, 10:17 PM
I second the love for Ten Percent, Wes thanks for shipping out that MMG and BB lock to me in Stockton, Cali! Its awesome, ill get pics up when i can.

Nefarious
03-08-2007, 5:53 AM
ill pick one up for my next build. Definately a nice Visual to add. Its only $40 after all :D

SDJim
03-08-2007, 6:25 AM
I received my package from 10% yesterday.

That MM v.III is one sweet high quality product. Hat's off to MM for a great job, I also got the Bullet Button and the Prince 50 kit. Now If I'd only remembered to order the ambi-safety . . .

Now all I have to do is get off my butt and get all that stuff installed so I can start evaluating it for HP.

Hat's off to Wes and crew for terrific service.

edsel6502
03-08-2007, 7:50 AM
I'd like to use one of those on my rifle but I can't get the damn flash suppressor off.

You'll want one of these

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=762854

permanent_45
03-08-2007, 10:05 AM
+1 for the Spike's can. One thing to remember... It will NOT fit on a Mid length 16" Build. Mine fell about a 1/2 inch to long for the barrel.

Technical Ted
03-08-2007, 1:05 PM
You'll want one of these

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=762854
Pfffft. A 3/4" open end or adjustable (crescent) wrench will work just fine.

The GI wrench just has the "real estate" to add a few more slots. It isn't really mandatory. Well, if you happen to have a 1/2" breaker bar you can get more torque for removal. Then again a piece of pipe over the free end of an adjustable works just as well.

Some makers use loctite on the threads unnecessarily.

If the barrel's used, sometimes carbon gets deposited in the threads and makes it harder to turn.

Prc329
03-08-2007, 1:10 PM
+1 for the Spike's can. One thing to remember... It will NOT fit on a Mid length 16" Build. Mine fell about a 1/2 inch to long for the barrel.

I have one on a 16" mid length build. It buts right up against my gas block. What kind of block are you using? Mine is a vltor gas block.

jp.cherokee
03-08-2007, 1:43 PM
Look Great, and I want one... But at a local shooting range I would be a little paranoid, because supressors (LE from a distance does not know it is fake) could definitely draw some attention... I want one, I want one, I want one...
Any comments?

THE 0NE
03-08-2007, 1:45 PM
just ordered mine for my 6.8 i cant wait......:D

proraptor
03-08-2007, 1:48 PM
I wanted one but then I cant imagine how many people would be looking at you thinking "nice illegal gun!"

taquito971
03-08-2007, 2:23 PM
Look Great, and I want one... But at a local shooting range I would be a little paranoid, because supressors (LE from a distance does not know it is fake) could definitely draw some attention... I want one, I want one, I want one...
Any comments?
Yeah, after he fired it I imagine the suspicion would go away...

proraptor
03-08-2007, 2:30 PM
Another thing to think about is it you have one of the grey area bullet button locks....Sure they may be ilegal in our eyes but if a LEO sees you dropping mags with a fake cn on the end of your gun expect to get questioned! LOL

permanent_45
03-08-2007, 2:36 PM
I have one on a 16" mid length build. It buts right up against my gas block. What kind of block are you using? Mine is a vltor gas block.

I saw your's and I think that was what pushed me to buy it. I really like the look of your builds. That and the good price on a never installed part (picked it up from a forum member). I have a YHM single rail gas block. I think its just about a half inch longer then your gas block. The YHM looks to be one of the longer gas blocks. Not to worry, i have a few more lowers that are itchen to have this installed.

permanent_45
03-08-2007, 2:38 PM
Another thing to think about is it you have one of the grey area bullet button locks....Sure they may be ilegal in our eyes but if a LEO sees you dropping mags with a fake cn on the end of your gun expect to get questioned! LOL

No gray area for me. Just go with the MM grip. You sure can't call it a flash hider.:D :D

Jicko
03-08-2007, 9:55 PM
looks awesome dude

im getting mine pretty soon too

notice any difference in loudness/recoil?

Thx...

Loudness.... totally suppressed..... (oops... that's maybe just hearing.... or just my feeling...)

Recoil.... what recoil!? We are talking about .223, right?

It does fireball tho... if u shoot at night..... ie. no flash hider....

Ok, basically it is JUST the same as a 1/2" thread protector....

Jicko
03-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Any comments?

1) u can take if off before going into a local shooting range

2) suppressor do not fireball like this thread protector

3) they would hear the difference

4) u look like u have a SBR if it is truely a suppressor (16"-5.5" = 11.5"), so ur chance of being LE is high too... .so they probably will just leave u alone.... (actually I dun really believe this point neither.... :D )

5) just get one.... just run around the house with it... it is FUN.... :eek:

Jicko
03-08-2007, 10:01 PM
I wanted one but then I cant imagine how many people would be looking at you thinking "nice illegal gun!"

They are looking at my ARs thinking "nice illegal gun" ANYWAYS.... :D

Prc329
03-08-2007, 10:31 PM
looks awesome dude

im getting mine pretty soon too

notice any difference in loudness/recoil?

I have two rifles with the fake can on it and a third with a YHM meat grinder on it. I also have an extra meat grinder to go on a RRA upper if they ever decide to send it to me :) . I took all three rifles to the range a couple of weeks ago with some buddies. A couple of things I noticed.

1. The spikes equipped barrels seemed to stay a lot cooler.
2. The YHM equipped gun was noticeably louder to the people next to me.
3. The YHM Meat grinder gun seemed to stay put and the Spikes guns moved around slightly. Enough to make the second and third shoots take a little bit more adjustment to get similar placement, but not enough to mess with accuracy all that much.

I believe number two is because the meat grinder sends more of the sound out the side while the Spikes fake cans send all the noise down range. I like noise down range. It makes shooting with my friends more fun, plus you don't get gas blasting back at the people on the sides of you.

Turbinator
03-09-2007, 1:34 PM
I believe number two is because the meat grinder sends more of the sound out the side while the Spikes fake cans send all the noise down range. I like noise down range. It makes shooting with my friends more fun, plus you don't get gas blasting back at the people on the sides of you.

This is going to be true of any muzzle brake type design - much of the gas that gets vented to the sides also takes noise with it as well, and this gets directed sideways and sometimes back towards the shooter.

Spike's can in no way hampers or obscures the muzzle, so shooting with this particular fake suppressor should produce sound signatures matching that of shooting without any muzzle attachments at all. IMHO.

Turby

tenpercentfirearms
03-09-2007, 7:18 PM
I love Spike at Spike's Tactical. I ordered these babies at the beginning of the week and they were here today! I have more Fake Cans! This time they are engraved though. I will try and get some of the non-engraved back in stock soon.

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=282

I think I might have to put one of these on a build soon!

TonyM
03-09-2007, 7:23 PM
Hey Wes,

Which is it, engraved, or not?

The Spike's Tactical Fake Can Engraved (has white laser etching as seen in photo) is an affordable muzzle attachment that gives that SOCOM look to any rifle. This fake can is perfect for those detachable magazine builds where you need to replace the flash hider. This attachment has threads in the end so it only attaches at one length without adding any additional length to the barrel beyond a standard flash hider's appearance. This fake can has no markings.

Thinking about a plain one for a open mag well rifle, to use as a thread protector.

tenpercentfirearms
03-09-2007, 7:42 PM
Nice try. My item doesn't have that text in it. Are you trying to ruin my sales. :p

TonyM
03-09-2007, 7:46 PM
Nice try. My item doesn't have that text in it. Are you trying to ruin my sales. :p

Don't make me get a screenshot of my cache!

;)

Have any unmarked ones, or will I have to Norrel's one of the engraved?

Prc329
03-09-2007, 7:50 PM
hey Wes,

Is there a way to index the can on the engraved ones?

6mmAI
03-09-2007, 8:09 PM
Save your man2man love for Wes for offline... ;)
The scooter and pink rifles already has me worried enough.

I think Scooter Morris is blushing!

tenpercentfirearms
03-09-2007, 9:21 PM
hey Wes,

Is there a way to index the can on the engraved ones?

I would imagine with a crush washer I just ran out of. :(

Prc329
03-09-2007, 9:24 PM
The crush washer I have for my meat grinder dows not fit inside. Peel washer maybe? or do I just have a fatty crush washer. How did you mount your spikes for the test run?

tenpercentfirearms
03-09-2007, 9:35 PM
The crush washer I have for my meat grinder dows not fit inside. Peel washer maybe? or do I just have a fatty crush washer. How did you mount your spikes for the test run?
I was just wondering about that. I guess a peel washer it is. My test Spike's was non engraved.

Jicko
03-10-2007, 4:46 AM

My crush washer fits right in!!

Actually, without the washer, my barrel do poke out a bit.... so, I ended up leaving my washer in there...

Jicko
03-15-2007, 12:30 PM
I went to a match/range with my M4gery w/ the can last weekend..... many of my fellow shooters love that can!