PDA

View Full Version : The California Reload

racky
12-18-2011, 11:33 PM
i made a vid on how i use my bullet button. it's the fastest way (for me) that i've found so far. enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aspdQPvQGA
7aspdQPvQGA

FourLoko
12-18-2011, 11:36 PM
so sad, but good effort

HK Dave
12-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Bullet button in a tactical situation? Really?! No disrespect to you sir, but i would NEVER even consider using a bullet buttoned rifle in a life and death situation. There are many smarter options than 10/30 mags that are prone to fail (sorry guys, i've used dozen from every maker there is, they ALL failed at some point)... and a tiny itsy bitsy little button you have to press with a tiny itsy bitsy nub... all during a highly stressful, i'm about to die situation.

Would suck to die to bullet button stupidity because I was trying to be a mall ninja.

*EDIT*

When posting this, I was referring to an actual dangerous situation. When shooting at a range, sure why not, looks like fun.

Also... posting after having had a bottle of wine or two is dumb. ;) Excuse my stupidity.

louscamaro91
12-18-2011, 11:53 PM
Your a dangerous man! The video was awesome.

alfred1222
12-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Bullet button in a tactical situation? Really?! No disrespect to you sir, but i would NEVER even consider using a bullet buttoned rifle in a life and death situation. There are many smarter options than 10/30 mags that are prone to fail (sorry guys, i've used dozen from every maker there is, they ALL failed at some point)... and a tiny itsy bitsy little button you have to press with a tiny itsy bitsy nub... all during a highly stressful, i'm about to die situation.

Would suck to die to bullet button stupidity because I was trying to be a mall ninja.

so whats your proposed solution?? we dont have bullet buttons by choice, they are required unless people choose to go featureless. I get that if SHTF, people will break out their 30 rnd rebuild kits and find a way around their BB, but in a tactical situation, what else can someone do besides try to be efficient with the equipment they have??

Mossy Man
12-18-2011, 11:57 PM
so whats your proposed solution?? we dont have bullet buttons by choice, they are required unless people choose to go featureless. I get that if SHTF, people will break out their 30 rnd rebuild kits and find a way around their BB, but in a tactical situation, what else can someone do besides try to be efficient with the equipment they have??

mini 14

loosewreck
12-19-2011, 12:00 AM
so sad, but good effort

Indeed.

Sincere thanks for the work though.

IDK, Maybe one of those funnels might help a bit? But seriously, IMO, unless you have a RAW, California laws really do an effective job of turning ARs into just novelty guns. :mad: It sucks so much...

louscamaro91
12-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Featureless is my light SHTF, but not an all out zombie apocalypse. Then you lose the grip wraps and bullets buttons.

racky
12-19-2011, 12:07 AM

i have a featureless AK if i gotta do social work. if SHTF i'd probably be armed by the military. so i'm covered in those aspects. but to obey the laws in a training environment, i gotta use a bullet button.

btw, i never implied i was in a tactical situation nor did i imply that i'd use this gun in a life or death situation. stop assuming k. i'm just showing how to use a bullet button tool.

ConfucianScholar
12-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Nice technique.

sigstroker
12-19-2011, 12:47 AM
Is it a good idea to leave that where politicians can see it?

858casper858
12-19-2011, 4:41 AM
Nice job! That was way faster than I expected. :thumbsup:

nicoroshi
12-19-2011, 5:29 AM
Is it a good idea to leave that where politicians can see it?

Why not?
They might see how stupid, and ineffective SB23 actually is.
Perhaps they may also (finally) come to the conclusion that criminals by definition are people who break the law, and wouldn't bother using bullet buttons or 10 round magazines.
Nice technique OP within the confines of idiotic and ineffective laws we must deal with in CA.
Personally the only thing SB23 has done for me is teach me to reload faster
Put that in your pipe, and smoke it politicians.

glock7
12-19-2011, 6:47 AM
you have good speed and technique. i just can't get into the bb. as hard as i try i'm not adept with it. thanks for the vid.

fullspeed1
12-19-2011, 9:53 AM
Sorry to say, But if there is ever a time that I utilize my AR in a life and death situation, It will be a bad day for sure, I can guarantee you IT WILL NOT be in a handicapped configuration. PERIOD. My life and families lives are more important than California law.

joefreas
12-19-2011, 9:56 AM
Nice video. I swear I can smell the gunpowder burning.

starsnuffer
12-19-2011, 10:00 AM
It's a lot faster with a BAD lever or similar device.

Speed reloads were never a problem, the question has always been how to do a tactical reload (saving a half empty mag). One could argue that with a 10round limit, there is no reason to do a tactical reload, and I agree. Ammohoarding chipmonks disagree, but have yet to come up with a method that works.

-W

zfields
12-19-2011, 10:04 AM

Featureless AR/AK, Mini 14, non-converted Saigas etc etc.

I keep a shotgun as my "social work" gun in my house. If I have to reach out farther then that, I should be running like hell to avoid the litigation, or bunkered up.

Good Vid op.

fullspeed1
12-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Featureless AR/AK, Mini 14, non-converted Saigas etc etc.

I keep a shotgun as my "social work" gun in my house. If I have to reach out farther then that, I should be running like hell to avoid the litigation, or bunkered up.

Good Vid op.

+1 agreed

HK Dave
12-19-2011, 10:19 AM
i have a featureless AK if i gotta do social work. if SHTF i'd probably be armed by the military. so i'm covered in those aspects. but to obey the laws in a training environment, i gotta use a bullet button.

btw, i never implied i was in a tactical situation nor did i imply that i'd use this gun in a life or death situation. stop assuming k. i'm just showing how to use a bullet button tool.

Sorry if I came off that way, I didn't mean to imply that you implied.

Appreciate your video, and for those that want to shoot with a bullet buttoned rifle for fun, it works well.

Like you, I use a featureless. :)

HK Dave
12-19-2011, 10:21 AM

Featureless AR
Featureless AK
Mini 14
M1A
Benelli R1
Shotgun

g_conway
12-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Thats why I got a Raddlock BB for mine.
A few quick turns and its back to standard AR mag release.
As to SHTF, if it happens and the only thing you have available is a BB'd AR, that was just poor planning.

starsnuffer
12-19-2011, 10:31 AM
While there are some that want to spend time examining their pubic region with a magnifying glass and muttering about zombies, the truth of the matter is that people in California own AR type weapons because they are fun. Attending carbine classes and playing 3 gun is fun. These are the situations that we really use the weapons in, not zombies, and not giant coked-out immigrants at 3 in the morning.

The thread is very valid for those unafraid to admit why we really use the weapon.

-W

zfields
12-19-2011, 10:34 AM
While there are some that want to spend time examining their pubic region with a magnifying glass and muttering about zombies, the truth of the matter is that people in California own AR type weapons because they are fun. Attending carbine classes and playing 3 gun is fun. These are the situations that we really use the weapons in, not zombies, and not giant coked-out immigrants at 3 in the morning.

The thread is very valid for those unafraid to admit why we really use the weapon.

-W

i still shoot 3 gun with featureless. No way id blow a couple seconds on a stupid mag release, not to mention 10 round mags : )

Sorry, had to be said!

HK Dave
12-19-2011, 10:41 AM
i still shoot 3 gun with featureless. No way id blow a couple seconds on a stupid mag release, not to mention 10 round mags : )

Sorry, had to be said!

Agreed... I love the AR platform, it's by far my favorite of all firearms I've ever owned. I hate the way featureless ARs look, but when running and gunning, I prefer it over the bullet button.

The thought of losing 1-2 seconds on a mag change... or MISSING and spending 3-4 seconds under pressure, would really be sad to me.

On a featureless, I hit the mag release while holding the rifle one handed, my left hand is already pulling out the next mag and it all happens in one fluid action. I tried with the bullet button... I fumble... i'm nowhere near as proficient as the OP... he's actually quite fast, but i'd rather just not take the chance of missing the button.

I prefer the exile hammerhead... despite its ridiculously uncomfortable super non ergonomic hold. Allows me to hold one handed.

Thordo
12-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Hi Racky,
Received your email. You are the first to enter our video contest for January and you've started it out with a BANG!! I'll get it up on our website ASAP.

Two cents on BB tactical reloads:

After taking the Gray Ops Carbine I and II courses, it was determined that there is no "great" way to do a tactical reload but there is a "very good way". Typically, when you do a tactical reload, you'd drop to one knee to take advantage of cover or at least to leave yourself less exposed. Drop your half full with your UBBT or whatever tool you use and let it hit the ground. Load your full mag and then pick up the one on the ground and bag it for later use. Since you're already down, there's hardly any time lost. I've been practicing this method and its pretty fast. Make a video of you doing it and post it to enter the contest!! Winner gets a couple of our UBBT installed PMAGs. Check it out at http://ubbt.net/videos.html

Keep the videos coming!! The BB sucks no doubt and if the SHTF we all know all bets are off. Let us all just have fun the best we can with the laws we must abide by. If we the people can get the laws changed some day GREAT!! I personally don't want to be watching the news when it happens from my jail cell.

Thordo

chead
12-19-2011, 12:12 PM
I sincerely appreciate the "train how you'll fight but at this point I can't imagine not using a featureless rifle. I looks goofy, but it works.

dieselpower
12-19-2011, 12:14 PM
I didn't read all the post, reloading is not the issue, or at least not the primary issue. the issue is double feeds and bolt override captive jams.

1) Place a simulated live round lose on top of a fully loaded & inserted magazine, let the BCG slam home. Note the two rounds are nose into the chamber. Clear this jam

2) take a screwdriver and put a slight amount of downward force on back end of the top round of an inserted magazine. Push the top round slightly forward about 1/2 inch. What you are trying to do is force the Bolt to ride over the top of the round, but snag the case in the middle. Hit the paddle or BAD and send the BCG home. Clear this jam.

nice video.

Thordo
12-19-2011, 12:30 PM
I didn't read all the post, reloading is not the issue, or at least not the primary issue. the issue is double feeds and bolt override captive jams.

1) Place a simulated live round lose on top of a fully loaded & inserted magazine, let the BCG slam home. Note the two rounds are nose into the chamber. Clear this jam

2) take a screwdriver and put a slight amount of downward force on back end of the top round of an inserted magazine. Push the top round slightly forward about 1/2 inch. What you are trying to do is force the Bolt to ride over the top of the round, but snag the case in the middle. Hit the paddle or BAD and send the BCG home. Clear this jam.

nice video.

+1 Dieselpower, you are spot on. That was also well covered in our class and actually one of the students had a double feed twice. Its hard enough to do without any added pressure. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!

Thordo

Javi
12-19-2011, 12:44 PM

Good point! Never thought of that.

SURVIVOR619
12-19-2011, 1:06 PM
I most enjoyed the title screen which read, "i hate california"...

My sentiment exactly!

Kauf
12-19-2011, 1:12 PM
mini 14

M1 Garand :D

Mossy Man
12-19-2011, 2:36 PM
M1 Garand :D

too expensive to shoot

zfields
12-19-2011, 2:41 PM
too expensive to shoot

Most guys it seems that shoot them reload, since you have to use lower pressure ammo then most the 30-06 stuff made currently.

racky
12-19-2011, 3:12 PM

nice video.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!!! (all for fun of course)

joelogic
12-19-2011, 3:16 PM
Speed funnel FTW. Any chance the UBBT is long enough?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=106298
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/795811/prince-50-design-ar-15-bullet-button-assembly-speed-funnel

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m353/joelogic/jio003.jpg

MrPlink
12-19-2011, 3:31 PM

*EDIT*

When posting this, I was referring to an actual dangerous situation. When shooting at a range, sure why not, looks like fun.

Also... posting after having had a bottle of wine or two is dumb. ;) Excuse my stupidity.
drinking or not, I more or less agree. :D
Ive got my "fun guns" with a mag lock, and then Ive got my "serious" featureless element

stix213
12-19-2011, 3:33 PM
Featureless AR with .50 beowulf 10 round mags loaded with 26 .223 rounds ftw.......

ZombieTactics
12-19-2011, 4:37 PM
+1 Dieselpower, you are spot on. That was also well covered in our class and actually one of the students had a double feed twice. Its hard enough to do without any added pressure. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! ... It's like I was saying to you in class, DP is a crusty curmudgeon, but knows his stuff!

Knife Edge
12-19-2011, 5:40 PM
so whats your proposed solution??

M1A

HighLander51
12-19-2011, 6:14 PM
i made a vid on how i use my bullet button. it's the fastest way (for me) that i've found so far. enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aspdQPvQGA
7aspdQPvQGA

Have you tried this method in a 3 Gun match?

Knife Edge
12-19-2011, 6:24 PM
How about a remote fired electrical solenoid operated by your buddy, call him BB assistant.

drunktank
12-19-2011, 6:27 PM
Crap. I knew I should have posted my vid first. I "coined" that phrase but with some else all together hahaha!

TheDeej
12-19-2011, 6:54 PM
very nice video work.

Thordo
12-19-2011, 7:01 PM
Speed funnel FTW. Any chance the UBBT is long enough?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=106298
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/795811/prince-50-design-ar-15-bullet-button-assembly-speed-funnel

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m353/joelogic/jio003.jpg

Hi joelogic,
Yup. I've made custom funnel tips for several customers. If you want some send me an email at thordsencustoms@gmail.com

Thordo

Thordo
12-19-2011, 7:10 PM
It's like I was saying to you in class, DP is a crusty curmudgeon, but knows his stuff!

Agreed!! Awesome pic and review BTW.

Thordo

AR87
12-19-2011, 7:25 PM
Just a thought... If SHTF then wouldn't we all be able to spend about 10 minutes to pop a regular mag release into our rifles and go to battle? I mean... if something bad happened and there was literally no respite from the chaos to be able to catch our breath and check our equipment or eat or drink some water (or in this case, change out our bullet buttons), then I think that a bullet button would be the least of our problems...

Oh, and +1 on the M1A. It's a heavy bastard, but it gets the job done without problems and without complaint...

415m3
12-19-2011, 8:06 PM
See the TACTICAL RELOAD VIDEO POSTED BY COVERED 6 on YOUTUBE. IT IS ON THIS SITE AS WELL. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO, AND IT WORKS WITH OPTICS.

starsnuffer
12-19-2011, 8:17 PM
Someone needs to put a bullet button on your capslock key.

-W

zfields
12-19-2011, 8:27 PM
Someone needs to put a bullet button on your capslock key.

-W

:rofl:

Dreaded Claymore
12-19-2011, 8:32 PM
This was a sweet video. Very tacticool. :cool: Thank you.

Seeker
12-19-2011, 8:36 PM
I noticed that when you do your reloads you tend to look down only and lose focus on what you're shooting at. Doing that in a real life-or-death situation will get you killed as you will lose sight of your targets. Nice video though.

russ69
12-19-2011, 8:59 PM
Deleted. Another thread is covering this.

Gryff
12-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Doesn't that reload shown in the OP require you to spin the mag in your hand after drawing it from the mag pouch?

Norsemen308
12-19-2011, 10:23 PM
I was told thats completely ILLEGAL to do....???? was i sold a pile of fud...

racky
12-20-2011, 12:02 AM
I noticed that when you do your reloads you tend to look down only and lose focus on what you're shooting at. Doing that in a real life-or-death situation will get you killed as you will lose sight of your targets. Nice video though.

care to show me how to put a little plug into a tiny hole without looking?

btw i wasn't in a "tactical environment."

i swear, too many people are overly critical in this thread. you should see me reload without a bullet button. it'll blow your f'n minds how fast it happens.

for the last time.. THIS ISN'T TACTICAL!!!! IT'S JUST A VIDEO ON HOW TO RELOAD USING AN ULTIMATE BULLET BUTTON!!!! ENOUGH OF THE MALL NINJA MINDSET!!!!

Thordo
12-20-2011, 4:57 AM
care to show me how to put a little plug into a tiny hole without looking?

btw i wasn't in a "tactical environment."

i swear, too many people are overly critical in this thread. you should see me reload without a bullet button. it'll blow your f'n minds how fast it happens.

for the last time.. THIS ISN'T TACTICAL!!!! IT'S JUST A VIDEO ON HOW TO RELOAD USING AN ULTIMATE BULLET BUTTON!!!! ENOUGH OF THE MALL NINJA MINDSET!!!!

Hi Racky,
Don't take people's comments too seriously. Your video is awesome!! Its posted on our website along with another submission that came in yesterday. You've got some competition!! Check it out http://ubbt.net/

Your replacement tips are on the way. From your email, it sounds like you really beat the heck out of them. We love feedback good or bad. The new tips are MUCH stronger but if you break those, we might have to make you a custom stainless steel set. I also sent you an email.

Thordo

Gray Ops 1*
12-20-2011, 9:09 AM
Racky,

Great video, I prefer the left hand loading method you've illustrated. However, I like the original MagPul "Ranger Tab" on my mags with the "UBBT" facing to the rear rather than the front. This allows you to index the mag and not have to rotate it after releasing the empty. Making a more rapid loading transition.
http://www.gofast1.com/data/storage/attachments/3d5123fa18e85e04cc0965deca00fdef.gif

You've been trained well! Stay safe - Happy Holidays!

FourLoko
12-20-2011, 9:44 AM
Hmmmm, now two folks saying they reverse the orientation of the UBBT. Glad I haven't ordered any additional pre-mades yet. This could get interesting.

racky
12-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Your replacement tips are on the way. From your email, it sounds like you really beat the heck out of them. We love feedback good or bad. The new tips are MUCH stronger but if you break those, we might have to make you a custom stainless steel set. I also sent you an email.

Thordo

AWESOME customer support!!! you guys rock!

glock7
12-20-2011, 7:00 PM
take it easy racky. when you put it out there people are going to comment. it's a forum, with the good comes the bad. thanks for putting the vids out there, keep em coming.

racky
12-20-2011, 7:03 PM
i wonder if i put up a high power vid, will people say i'll get killed because i'm just standing there taking my time to shoot. or if i'm lying down shooting a precision rifle will people say i'll die because i'm not camouflaged enough. see where i'm getting at. not everything has to be tactical. it's freakin retarded how mall ninja people are.

glock7
12-20-2011, 7:50 PM
Yup...put your ghillie suit on and change your screen name. ;)

ERdept
12-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Racky,

EXCELLENT video. It's about time someone covered how to just use what we got instead of whine about it.

Also, world wars were fought with Springfield '03's, M1 Garands, Mausers, etc. and they had limited "magazine" capacity, and no bullet buttons. They used what they had.

You just need to defend yourself, not fight another army.

The vid shows a PLENTY fast reload. Also when you fire, you're not going to dump your mag. You're going to take precise fire. So one, two, maybe three shots, then as you near, drop the mag.

Again, excellent vid, fast reload with the system we have.

Noonanda
12-22-2011, 7:47 AM
Good video, and pretty fast on the reloads. Yes, you are not "Tactical" but who cares. Real world if you are dumping 4 mags like that you got more issues to worry about.
Remember there are some on here that think everything you own/mount on your weapon must be Tier 1 and that if you havent gone to
" insert name of Current fanboy tactical course" you are just a wannabe anyway. Some people just need to lighten up and have fun with their guns shooting, but to each their own I guess.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
12-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Racky,

Good job of showing how to make the best of what you have to work with. Keep doing it, never mind the comments.

TechSoldier
12-22-2011, 12:43 PM

*EDIT*

Just aim better :) No need for 20 rounds if you spend 10 wisely. Of course if you like the spray and run tactic, you may be right.....LOL

Agent Tikki
12-22-2011, 2:10 PM
First off, I love the UBBT I have one on all my 10/30 mags. A great product by great people.

But I just have to say. A simple glove with a BB tool on the finger tip will add maybe a second or less to your mag change times. Probably 3 to 4 times faster than loading with a UBBT alone.

Droppin Deuces
12-22-2011, 2:15 PM
I don't have a lot of experience with these, but while messing around with them, I found that it was much quicker to just throw an ambi bolt release device into the mix and do the entire operation with my right hand. I know people will say "But you don't want to take your hand out of firing position!" Well, it's hard to fire when the gun is empty anyway, so what's the difference if I'm saving time on my reload?

TechSoldier
12-22-2011, 2:49 PM
Just wondering why its such a big deal that people have to have a Bullet Button in CA. I'll go as far as to bet that 90% of those who complain about it aren't even needing to switch out mags as fast as you can without it. Just seems like a lot of unnecessary whining for something that really doesn't limit our options, just the way we load/unload.

Am I the only one here who thinks this? Puts on flame suit :P

Dave07997S
12-22-2011, 3:14 PM
Sorry to say, But if there is ever a time that I utilize my AR in a life and death situation, It will be a bad day for sure, I can guarantee you IT WILL NOT be in a handicapped configuration. PERIOD. My life and families lives are more important than California law.

This...

Thordo
12-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Christmas bump!!

racky
12-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Christmas bump!!

speaking of which, i got the replacements you sent me. they look way tougher than the old models. thanks again for your awesome customer service!!!

smittty
12-25-2011, 1:43 PM
I think this is faster than a regular AK mag change.

pyro3k2
12-25-2011, 5:52 PM
i'm not going to jump on the BB vs featureless debate, but to help out the OP with the Cali reloads, i've found the keeping the mags on your strong side and in your case being your right side will improve your reload speed. Leave your suport hand on the rifle and use your primary hand to maniplutale the reload. I know this going against all schools of thought about keeping your hand near the trigger but the BB is also against all schools of thought and need to think outside the box to get it to be viable.