PDA

View Full Version : Need advice/input re: .308 type rifle

bigkahuna04
03-07-2007, 4:33 PM
hope to tap into other members' experience in the .308 world.

I may have an oppurtunity to get a Hesse lower receiver in .308. I understand that it is compatible with Armalite upper receivers. How has the experience been in building up this receiver...has it gotten worked out in which magazines work best (m-14, or dpms)? I know that the reputation of Hesse is not very high...but I tried the lower on an Armalite upper at a shop a couple months ago and it fit together well. my friend is now re-thinking if he wants to build it and I get first oppurtunity to buy it from him before he advertise it here.

or......

should I consider the Fulton lower with the DPMS upper in .308?

it seems that Armalite has a longer reputation in the .308 type builds, and DPMS is a slightly different design.

any thoughtful input will be appreciated.

grammaton76
03-07-2007, 4:36 PM
If you do a search for 'har-25', you will probably find a number of threads of interest.

The deal is, a lot of people have done HAR-25 builds, with varying results. You'll need to read them all in order to get a good feel for the average experience.

Japedo
03-07-2007, 4:36 PM
See this thread
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=29367&highlight=Har-25

and get ready for a headache

C.G.
03-07-2007, 4:52 PM
See this thread
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=29367&highlight=Har-25

and get ready for a headache

Did you ever get yours and what mag did it turn out to have?

five.five-six
03-07-2007, 4:57 PM
i have had VERY GOOD results with 3 differant HAR-25 builds

C.G.
03-07-2007, 4:57 PM
hope to tap into other members' experience in the .308 world.

I may have an oppurtunity to get a Hesse lower receiver in .308. I understand that it is compatible with Armalite upper receivers. How has the experience been in building up this receiver...has it gotten worked out in which magazines work best (m-14, or dpms)? I know that the reputation of Hesse is not very high...but I tried the lower on an Armalite upper at a shop a couple months ago and it fit together well. my friend is now re-thinking if he wants to build it and I get first oppurtunity to buy it from him before he advertise it here.

or......

should I consider the Fulton lower with the DPMS upper in .308?

it seems that Armalite has a longer reputation in the .308 type builds, and DPMS is a slightly different design.

any thoughtful input will be appreciated.

I have two that function just fine with AR-10 uppers. The finish is not great, but everything lined up well. Also, the HAR-25 lowers cost me less than the Fultons would have and, as you said, I can use Armalite uppers.
There were some couple of reports that couple of receivers were out of spec and some people had other troubles, which I think was due to mish-mash on parts (I just bought the Armalite AR-10 LPK kit).

Japedo
03-07-2007, 5:36 PM
Did you ever get yours and what mag did it turn out to have?

I picked it up yesterday as a matter of fact, see here for pics
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=51202

I put the MM grip on it. The magazine is a Fal mag, I don't have the mag in hand yet, the good guys at Metroshot, are trying to copy it. I might have it on Saturday morning in quintuplit, or however many is 5. I purchased the rifle whole, thus only having the 10 day waiting headache

C.G.
03-07-2007, 6:23 PM
I picked it up yesterday as a matter of fact, see here for pics
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=51202

I put the MM grip on it. The magazine is a Fal mag, I don't have the mag in hand yet, the good guys at Metroshot, are trying to copy it. I might have it on Saturday morning in quintuplit, or however many is 5. I purchased the rifle whole, thus only having the 10 day waiting headache

Actually I saw it when he tried to sell it on ARF.com. If it is a FAL mag that would be strange, as the rounds from FAL mags feed differently than either DPMS or Armalite.

bigkahuna04
03-07-2007, 10:00 PM
so....for those who've already completed a Hesse-25 .308 build....are you happy with the results?...or would you go to the Fulton-lower/DPMS upper route?

are there any significant functional / design differences that are an advantage or disadvantage between the Armalite Upper vs. the DPMS Upper?

C.G.
03-07-2007, 11:21 PM
so....for those who've already completed a Hesse-25 .308 build....are you happy with the results?...or would you go to the Fulton-lower/DPMS upper route?

are there any significant functional / design differences that are an advantage or disadvantage between the Armalite Upper vs. the DPMS Upper?

My 2 HAR-25 both function fine, cost me less than the Fultons would eventhough the finish is not the best and uses Armalite uppers.
Either one will probably be fine, but Armalite has been in the .308 game longer.

bigkahuna04
03-08-2007, 7:57 AM
I may want to tackle a HAR-25 build if my buddy does decide to sell his to me. Would any of you guys who've done a Hesse/Armalite build be willing to give some personal pointers if I run into a problem?

I'm in the Pasadena area.

thanks

adamsreeftank
03-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Maybe I'm the only one with a strong opinion, but I say DEFINITELY get the Fulton.

I have built several HAR-25s with varying levels of success. The one I finally got to the point where I was really happy with it broke the buffer retaining pin the first time out. It's a small part but points to an obvious problem. You basically wind up with a franken gun made from semi-miss matched parts. Yes, you can make it work, and yes the lower is less expensive than the Fulton, but when you compare the price of the DPMS upper to the Armalite upper, I think it is a wash.

If the Fulton had been available a year ago, no one would have bothered building Hesses.

pc_city
03-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Mine went together easily and functions fine.
http://you-jane.com/images/Hesse_Noveske.jpg

I used an Armalite LPK and Armalite mags. The only mods were opening up the slot for the bolt catch and shimming the mags with 1/8 inch tubing/rods.
http://members.aol.com/riveter/ar10mag.jpg

adamsreeftank
03-08-2007, 4:02 PM

I used an Armalite LPK and Armalite mags. The only mods were opening up the slot for the bolt catch and shimming the mags with 1/8 inch tubing/rods.

Hey pc, nice looking setup. Can you give the specs for your upper? Did you build it or buy it?

bigkahuna04
03-08-2007, 4:30 PM
http://members.aol.com/riveter/Hesse_Noveske.jpg[/IMG]

that's what I'm drooling for....I mean hoping for:rolleyes:

pc_city
03-08-2007, 4:53 PM
Hey pc, nice looking setup. Can you give the specs for your upper? Did you build it or buy it?
Noveske 21 inch upper (Armalite compatible), Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10X40 LR/T scope, Armalite 30MM mount (I changed to LaRue mount after the pic), Tango Down panels, Troy BUIS, Bennie Cooley muzzle brake.